Spark, fuel & air, but still no start?

Started by Drifter_Mal, December 10, 2023, 01:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter-paul

Have you flushed out your fuel filter ?

Did mine on a trip , with 175K on the clock . Fixed the surging & refusal to start without a jump .

8k later it is being finicky - starts after 3 weeks unused, then won't start 2 days later .

Dried new plugs but still wouldn't start in the evening , yet jumps into life next morning without even drying the plugs . Will post after leak-down test and more investigation .  :P

Like Like x 1 View List
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

53Indian

Clutch switches tend to disintegrate and the wires can work loose.
Hard to see at first but look under the clutch lever to check.
Cheap to replace. 

chief

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

I'm still betting on wet plugs. Put one new one in each cylinder.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Drifter_Mal

Thank you for the input Genteman,

Can confirm the bike-down switch is in correct factory position held down by the battery clamp.

Given the bike ran only a few days ago I can't see how the clutch and/or kickstand switch could be suspects. Happy to defer to experience though.

I've got great spark going to the front cylinder, but I actually haven't tested spark in the rear. From my understanding spark in the front should be enough to have her run (albeit a bit rough). Can anyone confirm if the 1500 won't run without spark in both jugs?

Also yes, brand new high cranking battery.

Appreciate your input so far!

Mal

Troll

I would start with some new plugs. If the battery is even a little weak, they seem to flood. Had it happen to me several times, over the years.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

chief

Make sure all the switches are in the proper position first (kill, clutch, kickstand, tip over).
I assume replaced the battery means a new battery. 

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

gwilki

When you removed, cleaned and replaced the battery, did you, by chance forget to mount the "fall over" switch correctly?

Drifter_Mal

Hello gentleman,

Looking for any kind of advice here.

Have a 1500 that has sat for the past two years, recently returned home to her and have started the process of recommissioning.

After repairing a cross-threaded spark plug on the rear cylinder (clutch side), I hooked up a car battery, turned ignition and she and she kicked into life without a whole lot of trouble.

Let her sit for a day and came back with new fluids, battery etc. After replacing oil, clutch/brake fluid & battery, cleaning and I tried to start her - no dice.

I've got a strong response from the fuel pump when ignition turns on, a strong spark on the cylinders and have a fully charged high cranking battery connected. She turns and turns but makes no attempt to start.

While I'm no professional I've got a good amount of experience on bikes and can't really think of where to check next. Any of the usual suspects seem to be well accounted for...

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Mal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk