FI Indicator Light Check:
If the FI indicator comes on during operation that means there is a problem with the DFI System.
To check you should do the following: (Good time to refer to the manual).
1) Turn the ignition switch to OFF
2) Remove the seat and take the ECU out.
3) Take off the connector cap and find terminal #37. This is the check terminal. Ground this terminal to the battery negative terminal using a wire.
4) Turn the ignition switch back ON and the self-diagnosis mode starts.
5) Count the blinks and find the coded problem in the table.
6) Identify and correct the problem
7) Remove the wire
8) Make sure the FI indicator LED doesn't go ON. If it does, repeat from #1... there may be more than one fault code stored.
9) Run the engine for several minutes at idle then go for a short run at 20mph or more.
Reading ECU Fault Codes:
You checked the FI light because you have to use that to read the fault codes. The FI light will blink the sequence. The fault codes are 2 digit numbers. The FI light will blink the first number, pause for 3 seconds, then blink the second. There is a 1 second pause between digits in the number. Also if there is more than one problem stored for a fault code, that fault code will repeat before moving on to the next fault code.
Example: Fault Code 45
FI light will be 4 blinks, 3 second pause, 5 blinks - remember there is a 1 second pause between blinks.
|Fault Code||Faulty Component or Circuit||Fail-Safe Action||Operation Status|
|11||Throttle sensor||Ignition timing and injection mode fixed||Engine Runs|
|12||Vacuum sensor||Injection mode fixed||Engine Runs|
|13||Inlet air temp sensor||Air temp set at 113F||Engine Runs|
|14||Coolant temp sensor||Coolant temp set at 187F||Engine Runs|
|15||Atmospheric pressure sensor||Atmospheric pressure set at 29.92 in Hg||Engine Runs|
|21||Pickup coil #1||ECU selects good pickup coil||Engine Runs unless both are bad|
|22||Pickup coil #2||ECU selects good pickup coil||Engine Runs unless both are bad|
|31||Vehicle down sensor||ECU shuts off fuel pump, injectors and ignition system||Engine Stops|
|41||Fuel injector #1||ECU shuts off fuel injector #1||Engine Runs|
|42||Fuel injector #2||ECU shuts off fuel injector #2||Engine Runs|
|45||Fuel pump||ECU shuts off fuel pump||Engine Stops|
|51||Ignition coil #1||ECU shuts off fuel injector #1||Engine Runs|
|52||Ignition coil #2||ECU shuts off fuel injector #2||Engine Runs|
*Sources: Kawasaki Motorcycle Service Manual; Clymer Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Series Manual