Expert Opinions Needed Please

Started by Tim, January 01, 2024, 22:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Bucko

Quote from: chief on January 04, 2024, 17:57:45 PM

What Bucko said.

We have mod info on the clutch slippage part. Look in the Brakes/Clutch mods section for more info.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php/topic,59663.0.html

Disregard ANYTHING relating to Judge's washers or Mean Streak spring. These were workarounds before KAW updated the spring and holders and are no longer needed. The Mean Streak spring used was one specific year. It has long been superseded with newer versions which are the same as the other Vulcan models.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/clutchparts.html

I updated my 2002 clutch several years ago with the updated hardware noted in the chart and it has worked well since.

Make sure you do a complete job, measure the clutch package and replace metal or friction plates as necessary to meet specs.

I haven't investigated availability of parts relating to the gear dogs recently. Fortunately, many different Vulcan models use the same parts so there may be some sources for them. Anyone with info on this please let us know. We will need to do some research.

Let us know how this works out for you. Cheers.

Just to add to what Chief pointed out: The clutch on my 99 was slipping badly, the spring was almost worn through but the plates all measured within the spec - replacing the spring and holder fixed it. On my 01, it wasn't slipping, but I changed the spring/holder as a preventive measure, and the plates also measured within spec - the point being, don't assume you'll need to replace the plates (although it's always a good idea to at least have a set of fibre plates on hand in case they do need to be replaced while you're in there).

Agree Agree x 1 View List

chief

What Bucko said.

We have mod info on the clutch slippage part. Look in the Brakes/Clutch mods section for more info.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php/topic,59663.0.html

Disregard ANYTHING relating to Judge's washers or Mean Streak spring. These were workarounds before KAW updated the spring and holders and are no longer needed. The Mean Streak spring used was one specific year. It has long been superseded with newer versions which are the same as the other Vulcan models.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/clutchparts.html

I updated my 2002 clutch several years ago with the updated hardware noted in the chart and it has worked well since.

Make sure you do a complete job, measure the clutch package and replace metal or friction plates as necessary to meet specs.

I haven't investigated availability of parts relating to the gear dogs recently. Fortunately, many different Vulcan models use the same parts so there may be some sources for them. Anyone with info on this please let us know. We will need to do some research.

Let us know how this works out for you. Cheers.

Agree Agree x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Bucko

The clutch slip on the 1500 is typically due to mechanical wear of the spring.  Later model 1500 have an updated two-piece spring holder design that eliminates the premature mechanical wear on the spring.  The updated two-piece holder is retrofitable to earlier models.

Jumping out of gear though, seems like it might be a 'deeper' issue.  

Like Like x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List

Tim

Hi all hope you had a great holiday and Happy New Year!

My Bike has developed some issues and I really want some expert opinions before I dive in to fix them.

My ride is a 2002 Drifter 1500 FI shaft drive. 33,000 miles. I have paperwork from before I bought saying the clutch was rebuilt at 25,000. Under hard throttle it will 'slip' and even pops into neutral on its own if I really hit The trottle hard. I'm thinking I will rebuild the clutch over the winter using Mean Streak springs. Question is - shouldn't a rebuild last longer than 8,000 miles?

TIA for any advice or similar experiences.

I asked on the FB group and got the following responses:

"Popping out of gear in 2nd is the first sign of worn gear dogs. When this begins folks start stomping it back into gear and end up bending the shift forks. Kawasaki has discontinued the parts needed to fix this. And even if you went with used components splitting the case and doing the repair you are looking at $2000 or more. As for the clutch it probably needed a clutch diaphragm spring and the shop replaced the frictions instead of what the real problem was. There are documented 1500s with over 200,00 miles on them with the factory clutch after upgrading the spring and adding Judge Washers. Your best bet is to find a good used engine and just swap it out."

Someone else said:

"You may have two different problems - the slip is most likely clutch related. Popping into or out of gear usually is shift fork or/and gears worn."

Clearly splitting cases or swapping engines is a pretty big job so if anyone can offer any insight I would surely appreciate it.
Cheers, Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk