Windshield (Tim)

Started by chief, October 01, 2022, 14:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

From my experience, I adjust the shield at about eye level allowing me to see just over the top of the shield. This pushes the air bubble just over my head regardless of seat height. It will send rain over your lid as well.  Some people like tall shields. I think they impede my vision, especially when raining.

On my GW (different aerodynamics) I had an electric adjustable shield and experimented with height. At the correct level for me my wife would get blasted, so I could raise the shield to just bump  that air bubble over her head.

Don't have that option on my Drifter, but she doesn't ride on the Drifter so I could adjust and fix it in place. 

Agree Agree x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Tim

Thanks guys. Mine came with a batwing and although I'm sure it would make a huge difference I just don't like the look. Same deal with the two up seat I guess so my wife stays home...  :)
I'm going to try a couple of different windshields to see if they fit and if they will work.
For those that did go for a windshield: how high does the plexi have to be to direct airflow over your head when you ride on the highway? That is my biggest problem - over 70mph my head just gets blasted. I'm fairly tall at 6'2" so I'm thinking I will need a tall windshield too.
Cheers 

OR Seedman

I moved from a full windshield to a Batwing fairing with a 10" windshield (the 5" that came with it wasn't tall enough).  That really made a difference in the wind buffering.  I can run down the road at 75 mph with my throttle lock on and no hands (I know..not recommended) and 'nary a wiggle.....plus my head doesn't get pushed all around and hands are protected from the wind...but batwings are not everyone's cup of tea...

OR Seedman

gwilki

No worries, Chief. I know that my input was not particularly helpful anyway.   :)

In my case, I tried different windshields and several different lower designs and never did manage to reduce the head buffeting enough to keep the installation. I went back to bare bones. That was back in 1999. I sold that bike in 2007 - foolish move. Last year, I bought another 1999 and it is without windshield. I have kept it that way. Each to his own.

chief

Really sorry, I was responding to Tim's post and hit a wrong button and deleted the entire post! When we moved and updated the forum the "recycle" button was turned off... SO... sorry it was deleted.

Tim is asking about windshields for the 1500 and I directed him to our mod page on windshields and linked to the Rifle windshield still available for Drifters.

MOD PAGE: https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php/topic,59675.0.html
and https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php/board,135.0.html

Qwilki responded with info on lowers helping to eliminate head shake and buffeting.

I added info on our lowers mod and adapting HD chrome lowers to my 1500. Same mod page.

Anyway, as Qwilki says, lowers are really needed. You can make your own from the mod info, or adapt existing lowers.

Also many people use engine guard chaps like those produced by Chilhowee. Chilhowee engine guard chaps.

Again sorry for screwing this up. It shouldn't happen again!

Cheers

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk