2002 Drifter 1500cc air shocks junk?

Started by Northwoods555, March 22, 2022, 13:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/gw_shockfill.html     I did this years ago. My rear suspension units are just fine at almost 136,000 miles.

Like Like x 1 View List
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

I have a ZN1300 and the service manual details how to change the fluid in the rear air shocks (nothing elaborate - drain the oil out of the shock and refill to the brim then drain out a fixed amount).   The ZN shocks look suspiciously similar to the Vulcan air shocks so I suspect the process may work for Vulcan shocks too. Not at all a 'rebuild' but could, in theory, extend the life and performance of the shocks (all blown seal or bladder issues aside).

Troll

If they still hold air, the bladder is intact. If you lost oil through the valve, then they might be causing the problem. There is no rebuilding of them, as they are sealed units. Set your rebound damping to 4 and see what happens

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Northwoods555

I did not know that you should NOT put 71 lbs. of air in the 2002 Drifter 1500cc air shocks.  I didn't intend to put in a lot of air, but as we all know, you fill up that small space really fast...  I imagine it might have blown out the seals and I seem to think that I bottom out a lot more than I had before...

Once I figured out that the manual (that I did not possess), says not to exceed like say 30 lbs (or whatever, I don't recall now), I reduced the regulator pressure on the air compressor and that solved the overfill problem, but it was maybe/probably too late by then...

So, my question is:

Is there a tangible way to know if I blew out the seals?

Are the stock air shocks rebuildable?

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk