Vulcan Classic pipes on a drifter?

Started by Pork33, September 21, 2014, 16:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork33

Will get pics to you soon ...The install went pretty easy .1st I soaked the header bolts everyday for about a week with WD-40 ...Then I did E-bay for the stock vulcan classic pipes ,prices and condition vary greatly ,I paid on the high side 199$ for a like new set .but if you can wait you can get them for around 150$ ,I ordered the nuts and bolts and rubber grommets from partzilla ,I didn't want to hunt around for that stuff ,but the exhaust stay bracket is still in transit ,thats the bracket you need under the passanger footpeg .I put them on without the bracket just to see how they fit and sound ,the fit was perfect ,only slight problem was that you need to remove the rear pipes heat shield in order to install the header nuts ,the front pipe was no problem .I may need to loosen or fudge the pipes around to get that bracket  on when it comes.Oh I did forget I got 2 new exhaust gaskets also.
I did want the stock Drifter exhaust ,and I had 2 deals going that just didn't work out .The stock classic pipes are on the quiet side ,but the pipes that were on the bike when I got it were just crazy loud.I think this is a good fix for the hard to find stock Drifter pipes .
And again thanks for your help and info ,when I get permission I will post the e-bay salvage yard I got the pipes from ,and the pictures.
Oh and I just used a 1/4 drive socket wrench with extension and a swivel ,a few metric sockets and an allen wrench for the 2 heat shield bolts .


chief

If possible take some pics and do a write up for us. We can put the write up together...

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pork33

Got the pipes and bracket all on e-bay ,nutz and boltz from partzilla and the old pipes are listed on the Philadelphia craigslist .  thx again


chief

Depending upon the pipes in question, some may sit too close to the either the side cover or the floorboards. They will fit the jugs, but depending upon the diameter of the pipes and the bend there may be problems elsewhere. I don't think there is any way to know without trying them.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500


chief

#4
Quote from: Pork33 on September 21, 2014, 20:57:45 PM

Thanks for the help ,mine has the solo seat and no rear pegs ,do I still need the classic peg bracket? and I just found a set of classic pipes for 139 ..again thanks for the help .I gave up my bikes ,guns and life yrs ago to raise my daughter ,now its time to ride and shoot straight again

You don't actually need a footpeg, just the footpeg BRACKET that attaches to the frame. The pipes connect to that. (I don't have an 800 and haven't tried this myself.)

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pork33

Thanks for the help ,mine has the solo seat and no rear pegs ,do I still need the classic peg bracket? and I just found a set of classic pipes for 139 ..again thanks for the help .I gave up my bikes ,guns and life yrs ago to raise my daughter ,now its time to ride and shoot straight again


chief

#2

The answer is --- yes you can use pipes from an 800 classic, with a right rear footpeg bracket change.  (Depending upon the pipes in question, some may sit too close to the either the side cover or the floorboards. They will fit the jugs, but depending upon the diameter of the pipes and the bend there may be problems elsewhere. I don't think there is any way to know without trying them. )

This might help:
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/vcross.html
Other such links to all sorts of info: http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=links
We just changed this around, so its new to everyone!
Cheers.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pork33

I've been trying to get a stock exhaust system for my Drifter 800 ,but not having much luck .Will a vulcan classic 800 stock exhaust work on a Drifter ?,they are easy to find for under 200 bucks .and I think its the same frame and engine ...The problem I have is the aftermarket pipes on my bike are just to loud for me and my rotating shifts at work .thanks for any info.


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk