So this is what happened...

Started by 45 Bravo, August 04, 2012, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

since the bike is leaning to the left when filling - filling to the bottom of the screen maintains an air space when the bike is straightened up...which allows the cap vents to operate properly.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

Mine started to leak fuel this spring, when the tank was freshly filled. Took the cap off and disassembled it. I found that the 4 screws that hold the chrome top to the internal parts were loose. There is a VERY thin rubber gasket that seals the vent passage, and if the screws are even slightly loose, it won't seal. It made me crazy for a while (everything makes me crazy 'till I find the answer), but now I can and do fill it right up to 1/2" from the top and no more leaks...The admonishment in the owner's manual about filling the tank up past the separator is only for the California emissions model, to prevent flooding of the charcoal canister. The same warning is in the manual for my W-650 but, again, only for the California  model.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

49Reo

My Drifter started leaking gas when filled as well; any more than 3/4 full, it would leak. I took the cap assembly off, there are 'o;rings around the 2 screws that attach the cap assembly to the tank. One of them had given up the ghost;  I replaced them both. That took care of the problem; just something to check.

Regards and such,
49Reo

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

If I were you, I'd have the mount welded. Check with a local shop...but the price of the part you need is pretty cheap, considering. Do you have any cycle wrecking yards in your area?  JB weld is a good thing, but it won't stand up to the loads that the mirror will put on it, and then it'll break off again, and you will have another broken mirror. eBay has a bunch of stuff you need, including the mount, so maybe you should just start over with "new" stuff...From a legal standpoint, you only NEED a left mirror, so riding the bike won't run you afoul of the local constabulary until the new parts arrive...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

45 Bravo

It's kinda like quicksand, things are going well, then 1 thing goes wrong, then before you can recover from that one, another thing goes wrong, then another, and another.

Before you know it you are in over your head, and sinking.. like being in quicksand..

I think i am going to repair the mount, I got the stuff today to do it, and like TROLL said the mirrors have been used by Kawasaki for several years and ebay is full of them cheap (less than $20).

Next i need a gas tank gasket for the gas cap.
I had been notice on some of the hotter days a smell of gas when i would get on the bike in the after noon.

Shortly after a fill up, a car in front of me suddenly stopped and i had to get on the brakes a little harder than normal (he was 6 or 7 car lengths ahead of me) and we were doing about 40, when gas started gushing out from under the gas cap.

So i have started my list...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Troll.
Thanks Reo.

45 Bravo

49Reo

Sorry to hear your bad news; seems like if it wasn't for bad luck lately, you wouldn't have any luck at all. Hope everyone heals up ok, (bike too), better luck in the future.

Regards and such,
49Reo

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

Can't help directly, but I do know that the mirrors that came on my W-650 are the same as the Drifter mirrors, and I would be willing to bet that they are the same as any Vulcan Classic mirrors, as well as the mirror mounts. These are not unique parts, so finding them should not be quite so difficult as asking for  Drifter specific stuff..

Greetings from Windows 8...

45 Bravo

After spending some time in Kansas City resolving some family issues, (and not being able to ride my bike during that time),
we came home, and I had a tooth go bad, needing a root canal, the dentist put me on antibiotics and pain meds.

It got worse at work on tuesday, the wife took me home. leaving my bike at work.
that afternoon, my wife decided she was going to ride it home, (she has her endorsement, but has not ridden in at least 5 years, and has never driven anything bigger than a 750.) the other option was some of her co workers who had driven 4 wheelers, but no experience with a clutch, or highway driving.

I only live 1.5 miles from work, and it is backroads, she did well until she went to make the turn into the subdivision.
It is a climbing right u-turn, she was in 2nd gear, the bike stalled and she tipped over.

She tried to bail off, but as they used to say in Get Smart, "Missed it by that much..."

Good news, she is essentially ok, (hyper extended pinkie on right hand and a cracked rib.) but luckily nothing more.

Bike damage? right mirror and mount.

It could have been worse. but thank goodness it wasn't.

So, I asked the local dealer about replacement parts, he had none, and suggested kawasaki directly,
so I am turning here first in case anyone has some old parts left over from an upgrade or trashed bike.

The mount that doubles as the mirror mount/front brake reservoir mount broke, but just the mirror mount part. I may be able to jb weld it, but would like a replacement

Here is a shot of the left mount for reference. it looks like it can fit either left or right side

Here is front & rear views of the left mirror, does anyone here have any of these parts for sale?
I have looked at replacement mirrors but i like the look of these, also most aftermarket mirrors i have seen are smaller & more for looks than functionality.

Any help in locating replacement parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

45 Bravo

Oh, she has not let this dampen her spirits, she still wants her own bike again when we can afford it..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk