Ideas for both wheels off for tire change.

Started by cochise, April 28, 2010, 21:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elroy

i just went to pepboys auto and got a 80.00 bike jack works  great and will even lift rhe 1340 harley up steady as you please(which is getting way to often ) its worth the money .

cochise

Used the ATV jack . Built up one pad about !'' with a strip of plywood to get the front to back balance right. Carefully pumped her up checking every couple inches. Got it about 15" up , tie downs on both bars and off came the wheels. Had it up for 3 (nervous) days till the wheels came back and I got them on. But when it was back on tera ferma it didn't seem to hairy when it was airborne. I'll use that same system again with no fear.

Varooom

Simple.  Lift from the Right front or rear of the underengine frame area to remove the front or rear wheels, resp.  Put the bike in gear for front removal and block the front tire from rolling for the rear.  Nothing to it once you get the hang of it.
You can't get both off at once so I hope your shop is close.
Varooom

1999 Drifter

I have an atv jack as well I can lift my 800 if the one arm is almost touching the kickstand, the other arm is beside the grease nipple. it will lift it evenly and sturdy side to side but not to sturdy front to back. Of course tie downs are needed. I have not lifted it more than a foot off the ground, so I  can't say if that's high enough for the wheels to come off , but it seems good for cleaning under the bike and the spokes.
hope this helps

cochise

Mines an 800 and theres a grease zerk right in the rear part that i don't want to place the jack near. I'm going to have to alter the ATV jack and make one side higher to comp for the uneven spot its going to go. Also add a length of angle iron out one side for a handlebar tie down. Someday I'm going to buy a tool and be able to use it right out of the box, but that isn't today.

Duffy

Since I haven't picked up my Drifter yet I'm just guessing that the engine hangs down below the frame (it does on my 1500 Classic).  We are talking about a 1500?  This won't allow you to get a "good" balance on the bike when it's on an ATV jack.  I just made a frame assembly that hangs under the bike and allows the jack to have something "flat" to use for lifting.  Then I made a stand ("U" shaped 2x2x2 and 18" tall) and with the bike lowered down on the stand it's really stable. I also need to yank the tires off the Classic and have them changed but I've been procrastinating.............

cochise

Waiting for my ww Metzelers to arrive . Local bike shop said $ 50.00 to change both tires over and balance if I bring in the wheels. I bought a ATV style jack with two arms on it but can't position it for a good center balance. My old Yamaha had such high fenders and a center stand wheel removal was easy. The Drifter looks like a challenge. Should I only do one at a time, is there a good way to lift her up, fender removal the way to go...... ??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk