Author Topic: Nomad Exhaust mounts for Drifters  (Read 709 times)

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
Nomad Exhaust mounts for Drifters
« on: February 23, 2021, 17:22:11 PM »
Hello everyone:

As some of you know, I put a stock Nomad dual exhaust recently on my 1500 Drifter.  Each muffler hangs by a short piece of powder coated steel attached to my saddlebag mounts.  Works great, however, I can't remove the bag mounts or the pipes won't have any supports.  So, I have have come up with a design that attaches at the rear footpeg mounts instead so you don't have to cover the rear fender with bags if you don't want to.  I tried to make the hanger design as unobtrusive as possible.  I am having the prototypes done at the fabricator I use for all of my designs.  They should work with ANY dual exhaust for Nomads 1500/1600.  As soon as I have them in my hands and tested, I will post photos.  You should be able to mount the rear pegs right over the hangers but you will most likely need 5mm longer bolts to compensate for the thickness.  Let me know if anyone is interested in getting a price on a set (if they work out the way I hope).

Thanks and best to all

OR Seedman
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

greenbarn

• Life Member
  • Sr. Staff
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Drifter 1500
  • VDR#: 1023
Re: Nomad Exhaust mounts for Drifters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 22:55:30 PM »
I'd love to see those pics.  I think (if I remember) I also have a set of Nomad duals in the shed....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No Worries

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 18:28:59 PM »
As soon as I get them back and test the installation, I'll take some good pics and post here.  Right now, they hang from my saddlebag mounts.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 20:35:49 PM »
mounts should be ready by next Monday.  I ordered them in plain unpainted steel so that I can see how they work before spending the extra money on powder coating.  right now, it looks like a set will probably be about $50 unpainted or $80 with powder coat.  that would not include shipping.  I'm hoping the prototypes don't need any changes or mods, but we'll see how it goes....if they fit the right way, maybe I'll have the first set chromed....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 18:09:12 PM »
so...I got the prototype mounts late yesterday and did some test fittings today....need to make a couple of modifications.  So I went back to my fabricator with the changes...the new ones should be ready in a couple of weeks.  Overall, I think they are going to work nicely...the only visible parts are where they come straight down from the rear footrest mounts (they attach to the same frame mounting points and are well hidden behind the rear footrests) and where the steel is folded over to attach to the muffler on each side.  the rest of the mount is hidden behind the tailpipe on each side.  They are laser cut from 3/16" cold rolled steel and formed to angle out from the frame (they follow the angle on the footrest mount).  Since they are cut and not bent, the straight part that runs down the length of the pipe to the mounting holes hardly flexes...should keep the pipes fairly stable with little movement side to side.  I will mount them up and take close up pics as soon as I get the new ones...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

Old Drifter

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the update. I may need to get a set of these when completed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gene

1999 Drifter

JagLite

• View Gallery
  • Plus a: Triumph
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 20:09:15 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the final result too.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 18:49:30 PM »
So...I got the second set of prototype mounts back.  They look and work really good.  I am going to keep this pair and have them chromed after a make a couple of really minor adjustments.  The lower mounting hole that attaches to the frame behind the footrest mount needs to be enlarged just a little bit to give it some adjusting room.  Have to do that on both sides.  I will make sure that is done on the production brackets.  Other than that, they are really sturdy and pretty well hidden behind the pipes and rear foot rests.  The don't flex back and forth and even if you don't have the rear footrests, they don't stand out.  I have attached some pictures of the right side......it is a little hard to spot because is runs along the backside of the tailpipe and does a 90 degree bend up just under the footrest.  the only thing that really is visible without the saddlebags on is the part that attaches to the top of the muffler at the mounting points that would attach to a Nomad saddlebag bracket.  let me know all of your thoughts and opinions.....pricing would be $50 unpainted per set or $90 with black powder coat, not including shipping.  Shipping would probably be flat rate for large box ( I would use the same box that I ship my saddlebag brackets in)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

chief

• Administrator
  • Staff
  • 2002 Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
    • Franklin
    • Vulcan Drifter Riders
  • VDR#: 1
  • State/Province/Region: TN
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
Is there any rubber mounting associated with these?  As you know, our engines are rubber mounted. Hard mounting pipes results in a lot of stress to the pipes and heads and causes a lot of vibration to be transmitted to the frame. This is why the original pipe system was rubber mounted and why we have mods to modify the oem footpeg or replace it when we mount aftermarket pipes.

If you remember the original Cobra "indian pipes"... the hard mounting is why many of them failed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:28:00 PM by chief »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Sl? inte - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500<BR>'02 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 ABS

OR Seedman

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 18:06:08 PM »
seems to me the resonator has a bit of movement in it to compensate for the engine movement these brackets flex a little from side to side, so I'm not sure if there is a need for the rubber mounting.  I didn't have rubber mounts on my V&H Longshots and that never seemed to be a problem.  I'll run these brackets for the summer and provide a long-term update in the fall.....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OR Seedman

chief

• Administrator
  • Staff
  • 2002 Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
    • Franklin
    • Vulcan Drifter Riders
  • VDR#: 1
  • State/Province/Region: TN
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:00 PM »
seems to me the resonator has a bit of movement in it to compensate for the engine movement these brackets flex a little from side to side, so I'm not sure if there is a need for the rubber mounting.  I didn't have rubber mounts on my V&H Longshots and that never seemed to be a problem.  I'll run these brackets for the summer and provide a long-term update in the fall.....
Thanks for all your hard work on this. Cheers.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions