TORQUE SETTINGS

Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 30, 2020, 17:20:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TORQUE SETTINGS  (Read 296 times)

Tector

• I ride a : Nomad
  • Plus a: Classic
  • Tector
  • View Gallery
TORQUE SETTINGS
« on: October 10, 2020, 16:52:50 PM »

Just under 2 weeks ago I bought my second Drifter 1500-- 1999, great shape.  The prior owner (owner #2) said that he didn't know when the last time was that anything had been done for maintenance, except for an oil change "2 or 3 years ago".  So it is currently standing upright in a wheel chock in my garage, with the oil and final drive oil and coolant all drained.  I don't yet have a service manual for this bike (just ordered one off eBay), but I'd like to get the bike buttoned up and back on the road in the next few days.  So I'm hoping someone can tell me the torque settings for:

A:  the oil drain plug

B:  the oil fill plug (or maybe there's no specified setting, as this is not critical)

C:  the bolt for the oil screen (at the bottom of the crankcase on the left side of the bike)

D:  the oil filter

E:  the final drive oil drain plug

F:  the final drive oil fill plug (again, not critical, might not be specified)

G:  the coolant drain plug at the bottom of the radiator

H:  the coolant drain plug at the bottom of the water pump (on the right side of the engine)

In addition, I know I need a new crush washer when putting the oil drain plug and the final drive oil drain plug back on the bike.  I don't think I need to replace the washers, gaskets, whatever, for any of the rest of the above, but if I'm wrong please set me straight.

Thanks.

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."  Mark Twain

tj

• I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • VDR#: 1358
  • View Gallery
Re: TORQUE SETTINGS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 17:29:50 PM »

Just under 2 weeks ago I bought my second Drifter 1500-- 1999, great shape.  The prior owner (owner #2) said that he didn't know when the last time was that anything had been done for maintenance, except for an oil change "2 or 3 years ago".  So it is currently standing upright in a wheel chock in my garage, with the oil and final drive oil and coolant all drained.  I don't yet have a service manual for this bike (just ordered one off eBay), but I'd like to get the bike buttoned up and back on the road in the next few days.  So I'm hoping someone can tell me the torque settings for:

A:  the oil drain plug

B:  the oil fill plug (or maybe there's no specified setting, as this is not critical)

C:  the bolt for the oil screen (at the bottom of the crankcase on the left side of the bike)

D:  the oil filter

E:  the final drive oil drain plug

F:  the final drive oil fill plug (again, not critical, might not be specified)

G:  the coolant drain plug at the bottom of the radiator

H:  the coolant drain plug at the bottom of the water pump (on the right side of the engine)

In addition, I know I need a new crush washer when putting the oil drain plug and the final drive oil drain plug back on the bike.  I don't think I need to replace the washers, gaskets, whatever, for any of the rest of the above, but if I'm wrong please set me straight.

Thanks.

A 14ft/lbs
C 14ft/lbs
D 13ft/lbs
E 78 INCH/lbs
G 65 INCH/lbs
H 87 INCH/lbs

Couple more you will need when replacing the coolant...
Pump air bleeder bolt 87 INCH/lbs
Thermostat bleeder bolt 69 INCH/lbs

Cheers.

Tector

• I ride a : Nomad
  • Plus a: Classic
  • Tector
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 19:28:05 PM »

TJ:
     Many thanks.
     Where is the pump air bleeder bolt?  Is that above the little drain bolt?
     And where is the thermostat bleeder bolt? 
     To be honest, I never bothered with either of those when changing coolant on a Vulcan 1500 before (this is my fourth Vulcan 1500).  In fact, although I don't (yet) have a service manual for this bike, I don't remember the service manual mentioning either the pump air bleeder bolt or the thermostat bleeder bolt in the section about changing the coolant.  But perhaps I didn't notice or don't remember.
     Again, thank you.

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."  Mark Twain

tj

• View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 07:56:31 AM »

TJ:
     Many thanks.
     Where is the pump air bleeder bolt?  Is that above the little drain bolt?
     And where is the thermostat bleeder bolt? 
     To be honest, I never bothered with either of those when changing coolant on a Vulcan 1500 before (this is my fourth Vulcan 1500).  In fact, although I don't (yet) have a service manual for this bike, I don't remember the service manual mentioning either the pump air bleeder bolt or the thermostat bleeder bolt in the section about changing the coolant.  But perhaps I didn't notice or don't remember.
     Again, thank you.

No worries Tector. Using the bleeder bolts forces the air out the system. It's straight forward.

The pump bleeder bolt is the top left bolt on the water pump. Loosen that bolt until coolant comes out and then tighten to spec.
The thermostat bleeder bolt is at the top, by the radiator cap. Loosen it and slowly add coolant until the coolant comes out the bleeder, then tighten to spec...tapping the radiator hoses before tightening the bolt helps to get the air out.

Cheers

Old Drifter

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »

Following this...Great info TJ, thanks for posting! Great to see you still here! Ride safe brother!
Gene

1999 Drifter

tj

• View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 19:04:55 PM »

Following this...Great info TJ, thanks for posting! Great to see you still here! Ride safe brother!

Cheers Gene, hoping all is well in your world!

chief

• Administrator
  • VDR#: 1
  • 2002 Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
    • Vulcan Drifter Riders
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 20:34:30 PM »

This lists all of them.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/torquespecs.pdf

Remember to check the "Mods and Accessories" links for info like this. Cheers.
Slinte - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500<BR>'02 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 ABS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!