Vulcan Drifter Riders

• September 27, 2020, 16:57:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for returning rider  (Read 188 times)

ecader10

• Prospect
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: ----------
  • VDR#: 1459
  • View Gallery
Advice for returning rider
« on: July 16, 2020, 22:22:50 PM »

I stopped riding about 10 years ago after i hit a bump wrong, got death wobble on my bike, and broke my hand. I finally broke down and bought a bike again missing it so much. Since it has been so long and i am trying to get my sea legs back so to speak would it be a decent idea to put a steering stabilizer on my bike? I know it is not a typical thing to put on a crusier but given my history not really sure.

Troll

• Motorcycle Rider ED. Coach
  • Sr. Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • VDR#: 825
  • View Gallery
    • A.B.A.T.E. of Wi. SafeRider program
Re: Advice for returning rider
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 14:31:10 PM »

Take a class FIRST! A lot has changed in 10 years.
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

greenbarn

• Life Member
  • Plus a: Drifter 1500
  • VDR#: 1023
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »

I've had no experience with the steering stabilizers on a 2-wheeler, so can't comment on that.

But the rider's safety course is a good idea.  Gets you some ride time on (typically) a smaller, lighter bike before going out on the cruiser.
No Worries

OR Seedman

• I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 18:58:31 PM »

I took 15 yrs off from riding....first thing I did when I started back up was take an advanced safety course.  Best thing I could have done....really helped me get my riding legs back...I even used my own 800 drifter for the class...got me some experience on it before i actually went out and hit the pavement...no pun intended.  after a couple of years, I went back up to a bigger bike (drifter 1500).  I think taking the class helped me better prepare for how stupid drivers on the road can be....I had forgotten that over the previous years of not riding.... :o
OR Seedman

RZ94

• View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 16:07:15 PM »

Take a rider's course. I was off two wheels for almost 15 years due to an accident that almost killed me.

The Riders course was the best thing I ever did. You won't regret it, and it will allow you to build your confidence back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!