Vulcan Drifter Riders

• May 30, 2020, 22:39:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you are here as a guest, you are missing most of the benefit of this forum. Registering is free.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grinding Between 1st and 2nd  (Read 123 times)

RockinRollin

• Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
Grinding Between 1st and 2nd
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »

Since I bought my bike it sometimes grinds ( or ticks) when up shifting from first to second before the dogs have a chance to engage into 2nd gear. It doesn't do this between other gears. I was thinking this is because the clutch is not fully disengaging the gears which would make it a clutch issue as opposed to a gear or transmission issue, any thoughts?

mittico68

• Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • View Gallery
Re: Grinding Between 1st and 2nd
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »

Never had such an issue.
All I can say about is that actually I hear a clear "STACK" each time I engage the 1st gear, shifting from the neutral position. Anything else, whenever upshifting or downshifting.
Sorry.
I love my swingin' bike!

Tim

• View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 13:10:26 PM »

My 1500 has about 33,000 miles. There is a definite solid effort needed to get from first to second - if I don't really stomp on it I will get neutral. I think the 'neutral finder' puts more of a gap between the gears so over time it gets more pronounced. If I had to guess I would say it is 4 clicks all at once if that makes sense.
On another note I am having a ball riding again and this bike is the coolest thing imo! I'm still going to the garage to check it out.  :)

Troll

• Motorcycle Rider ED. Coach
  • Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • VDR#: 825
  • View Gallery
    • A.B.A.T.E. of Wi. SafeRider program
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 19:58:26 PM »

There is always going to be a difference between 1-2 and 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 because of the neutral gate. longer throw, since you are essentially moving a position and a half.. practice and careful clutch work. I have no problem with mine, or my W-650...
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!