Vulcan Drifter Riders

• December 06, 2019, 20:47:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!
Advanced search  

News:

If you are here as a guest, you are missing most of the benefit of this forum. Registering is free.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Suspension Fault  (Read 406 times)

Philsalter

• Prospect
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Triumph
  • View Gallery
Rear Suspension Fault
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »

Hi

My bike is a Kawasaki Drifter VN800, the shock absorber is allowing too much travel as the rear mudguard hitting the frame. - has anyone had this problem before, if so what is the solution please?
Thanks
Phil

mittico68

• Staff
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
Re: Rear Suspension Fault
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 02:16:09 AM »

Me too, I've got a 800, but I've never had such an issue like that.
And it's 20 years now, since I got her.
Must be something bad with that suspension. All I can suggest you, is to check the spring force: remove the left side cover and check the spring adjusting bolt that is on the shock absorber.
The scale goes from #1 to #7, where the lowest number means the weakest tension.
Try to put it on #7 and go ride her: if the issue is still alive, then I guess you'll have to change the whole suspension...
I love my swingin' bike!

Tfrank59

• Staff
  • Plus a: Goldwing
  • Keep the rubber side down. USMC '78 to '84
  • View Gallery
    • This is most of the herd, Some got out of the corral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »

Yeah, definitely adjust the shock's tension up, and that should help keep the mudguard from hitting.  Also, remember that with the mono shock and the whole rear fender moving up and down--someone once said our bikes look like they're broken in the middle!--it's not going to behave like a "normal" rear end.  The first time I felt my tail bag hitting my back over bumps I was wondering what the heck it going on!  Now I'm used to it.  In fact, in an effort to lower my girl a bit, I actually adjusted the shock down to like #3 from wherever it was set by mother Kawasaki.  That shock setting is generally determined by the rider's weight, and I'm around 200 Lbs, so #3 works okay.  If you're not that big of a fella and it's bottoming out at the highest setting, it might be time to replace the shock.
Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Texasdrifter

• Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 15:26:29 PM »

My 03 was bottoming out with the spring on highest setting. I bought a new replacement aftermarket YSS progressive shock and all is great now. The old shock loses much of its Nitrogen charge after 15 years and fails to work. However sit down because the shock is about $500! Don't be tempted to buy a used one, They are all going to be over 12 years old!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!