Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: 2006drifter on March 08, 2010, 21:55:40 PM

Title: Starts sputtering and dies at speed
Post by: 2006drifter on March 08, 2010, 21:55:40 PM
Help!. I have a 2006 vn800 drifter and love it!. Only has 12k miles. Suddenly this week on the freeway, it acted like I ran out of gas. I pulled over , but it started again. Went a bit farther and did it again. My tank is full. it seems like it is being starved for gas and actually runs out...but if i pull over it starts again?,,,,Are there fuel filters on this bike?
Title: Re: Starts sputtering and dies at speed
Post by: chief on March 08, 2010, 22:35:19 PM
I think the filter is part of the tank. I'd try and run some fuel additive through it and see if that help. Then have a look at the carb.

Title: Re: Starts sputtering and dies at speed
Post by: 1999 Drifter on March 29, 2010, 18:34:31 PM
did you find out the problem?
Title: Re: Starts sputtering and dies at speed
Post by: MaggieQ on March 29, 2010, 21:56:13 PM
did you run it all the way out of gas prior to this fill up? might have some "gunk" in your carburator, that might or might not work itself out, maybe some fuel additive to help clean it would help? or sometimes substandard gas will make it act badly....good luck, or maybe its vapor-locking? filled it too full? my 03 does that sometimes when I fill it too full
Title: Re: Starts sputtering and dies at speed
Post by: Varooom on March 30, 2010, 08:12:36 AM
This sounds like a carburetor float problem in which the float is only allowing the supply bowl to partially fill.  Then, the engine uses the small amount of gas up, becomes starved and dies.  I don't know the carbs that they put on the 800 but I doubt it's a big expense to have it checked out during a tuneup.
Varooom