Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: gonegray on February 23, 2010, 22:22:23 PM

Title: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: gonegray on February 23, 2010, 22:22:23 PM
I'm looking into buying a drifter.  Both bikes have great appeal, but the 800's hidden shock is cool.  I'm tall, old, and knobby.  I don't want to feel scrunched up on the bike.  Any comments would be appreciated!
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: chief on February 24, 2010, 11:48:05 AM
Well. both drifters are basically set up the same. If you look at the specs, the 1500 wheelbase is about 2 inches longer than the 800. Two inches can make a lot of difference.

Seat heights are the same - 29" with stock seats.

With engine guard pegs and the floorboards I think either would let you stretch. I'd likely go with the extra two inches, though.
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: ski.dive on February 24, 2010, 11:56:57 AM
Get a 1500, there is no comparison except for the front fender... ;)
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: 1SG CAV on February 24, 2010, 21:38:00 PM
I'm 6'2" 230 lbs I have a solo seat and a two up seat on my 1500. At no time do I feel scrunched. and I'm 52 years young. I think you'll be fine. highway pegs are great for stretching out the legs when needed. and I don't feel like a giant on the bike either. 
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: Kempy on March 02, 2010, 15:12:13 PM
 Hi iam 6'2'' and ride an 800 these are an awesome bike , has the consealed shock like the orginal style, pegs of engine bar does give you ample room, you need to take a ride to be happy on them before buying if you have worries
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: Varooom on March 27, 2010, 20:02:04 PM
I'm 6' 3" and 200 pounds and have had some very long, comfortable rides on this 1999 1500.  And, my chain doesn't stretch or need waxing!
Varooom
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: 49Reo on April 05, 2010, 11:29:00 AM
I'm 6'3", 245 lbs and find the 1500 VERY comfortable; wouldn't want any less legroom that it provides; I find it has more room even than my '05 Ultra Classic; being scrunched up makes for a miserable ride at the end of a 12-16 hour day in the saddle.
Regards and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: For a tall (6'3") rider, is the 800 big enough for comfort?
Post by: chief on April 05, 2010, 11:58:07 AM
That's the truth. Add an engine guard and some highway pegs and you can stretch out pretty well on the long haul. I just wish I could get the same on my goldwing.