Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: drifter-paul on July 06, 2025, 03:02:47 AM

Title: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: drifter-paul on July 06, 2025, 03:02:47 AM
I have searched Mods & 1500 forums but haven't found the answer - vague memory of someone cutting out the tunnel altogether and adding a different air filter system !

Have done the Gadget / Chuckster extender for the right side cam tensioner .   

Now starting on the left . I have unscrewed the right end of the tunnel . The tunnel is exposed / free on  the left but I can only wiggle it , doesn't seem to want to pull through !!

Wasn't a problem when I stripped down to the bare frame in 2012 – but I'm not doing that again .

Trying to escape to Queensland for OZ winter , damn .

Title: Re: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: Fab on July 07, 2025, 05:57:03 AM
Take a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAC_iJ7GZs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAC_iJ7GZs)

It's a 2004 Nomad, but I believe it should be exactly the same on a drifter.
It appears that the guy in the video managed to access the left side of the camchain tensioner without removing the tunnel.
Title: Re: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: Troll on July 07, 2025, 18:16:44 PM
Cross over tube won't fit through. To remove it, you have to either cut the end off, or remove the intake manifold. I found a spare on eBay and cut the end off mine. I have the spare one just in case some future owner might want to return it to stock.
I know I won't, but after the estate sale, somebody might want to...
Title: Re: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: drifter-paul on July 09, 2025, 06:19:32 AM
Afraid that was the case Troll . Thanks for confirming it wasn't just me .

Thanks Fab, the Nomad must have the external oil lines located differently - can't get to the Drifter ('99) tensioner like that .

Have made a new post detailing my solution .
Title: Re: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: 53Indian on July 29, 2025, 03:54:25 AM
Carefully melt it with a heat gun, shielding sensitive bits.
Takes 5 mins.
I put some pics on here somewhere.
Done a few now.
Title: Re: Removing air tunnel to access left side camchain tensioner - URGENT
Post by: 53Indian on July 29, 2025, 03:58:42 AM
Cam chain tensioner can be removed just by loosening air tunnel fittings, takes a while but can be done.