Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: dragones_benalmadena on November 30, 2009, 10:00:35 AM

Title: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: dragones_benalmadena on November 30, 2009, 10:00:35 AM
Hi to all out there,I am shortly going to throw out my origianl clutch and was contemplating upgrading it with the DUO CLUTCH kit that Thundermfg sells.has anybody intstalled this ?Any info on the actual instalation of this would be appreciated since I am going to be undertaking the job myself.
Title: Re: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: chief on November 30, 2009, 11:26:01 AM
I haven't seen this one installed.

There is some info on clutch upgrades/repairs over on the web site in the mods section. Also some parts info in the Accessories section.

Cheers.
Title: Re: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: Big Tee on December 06, 2009, 22:06:44 PM
I had considered the Thunder Mfg. clutch but they did not have any available. I ended up with the Turbo Tech clutch and I love it, it hooks up real good.

Big Tee
Title: Re: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: Varooom on March 17, 2010, 10:16:20 AM
I'm about to do this job myself, having had it done twice by the local Kawasaki shop with only 20-30 K miles between them.  Can you tell me how difficult the upgrade mechanical work is?
Thanks,
Varooom
Title: Re: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: pcarrell on March 17, 2010, 18:11:26 PM
I've heard the Barons one is good, but swapping out for a Meaanstreak clutch would probably be all you really need, and it's a straight bolt-in deal.
Title: Re: DUO CLUTCH From THUNDERMFG
Post by: chief on March 18, 2010, 11:13:26 AM
The MS clutch is the same as the Drifter clutch nowadays. The only time it was different was in 2002/2003.

Originally, the drifter clutch was endowed with a single holder and a relatively weak spring(plate). The MS had a similar setup but a stronger spring plate in 2002 and 2003.

The problem was the single holder allowed the weak spring to flex too much causing premature slippage in the clutch. Some folks in 2002/2003 latched onto the fact the MS spring was stronger so they used that to upgrade their drifters.

Subsequently, ALL 1500 and 1600 Vulcans were modified to use a new, stronger spring and two holders. SO, if you walk in and ask for a MS spring plate, you will get the same spring as shared by all other 1500/1600 Vulcans.

I added the current spring and two holders to mine some time ago, and have no clutch related problems. I did change out the friction plates at that time as well.

The info, charts etc is in the mods section of the web site, under clutch... or

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/clutchparts.html

Also, there are various aftermarket clutch kits listed in the accessories area. I used Barnett friction plates in mine.