Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: ski.dive on November 19, 2009, 08:41:35 AM

Title: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ski.dive on November 19, 2009, 08:41:35 AM
what repairs have you done to your drifter, how many miles?
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: chief on November 19, 2009, 16:29:23 PM
I only have 16k on mine (3 bikes)... other than pm's and wannado stuff - the only "repair" was replace the battery.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: 1SG CAV on November 19, 2009, 20:58:51 PM
I have 8600 miles on my 02 1500. The only problems I have is from after market add ons, Power commander, Hyper- charger. I had to replace the throttle body (OUCH) becuase of my not a mechanic son-in-law (last owner). Only problem I'm having is it runs rich.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: Slick on November 19, 2009, 21:43:23 PM
Problems ? with a Kawa !. I have 9 grand on my 02 and third owner. She has a higher cam , carb kit (dyno stage one) a K&N filter and the center pipe removed from the stock exhaust and dropped 1 inch in the rear. Maxis Classics tires. She will run me into the asphalt.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: tfloyd on November 20, 2009, 11:22:29 AM
My bike is still relatively low mileage with only 6800 miles.  I have literally had 0 problems and 0 replaced parts...other than the small things that I really wanted to do.

Todd
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: Lupee2u on November 23, 2009, 08:48:24 AM
Hey Ski.

I have 52,000 on my 02' 800 Drifter. It has been ridden hard and under every condition. The only repairs made to this bike were: Replace battery, rear mono shock, drive chain (2x) and brake pads.

I have done plenty of mods and standard PM every 3-5k. With the exception of a little slop in the suspension (front and rear) due to excessive weight and age, this bike is still running excellent. Never required any engine or transmission repair.

Kawasaki makes a great product...well at least in this particular line.

Lupee
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: Varooom on November 28, 2009, 19:52:08 PM
I've got 72,000 and the only problems I've had have been clutches from not using Kaw or honda motorcycle oil.  Auto oil ruins Kaw clutches.
Otherwise, oil and filters; that's all.
Varooom
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: cincydrifter99 on December 02, 2009, 21:16:44 PM
13,000 miles. 3rd owner. So far just rear brake pads. Regular maint. life long rider.............
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: bullride28 on December 03, 2009, 11:09:42 AM
7,587 on 99 none hardly Brok in.     00 has somewhere over 66,000  3 Brok speedo cables .  DONT twist it so hard. 
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: jcf on December 12, 2009, 18:35:55 PM
Hi ya,

I just turned 110,00 on my '00 this past OCT.

Two aftermarket problems, and the bike just started leaking about a teaspoon oil a day from the front jug.


jcf
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: 49Reo on January 12, 2010, 21:27:32 PM
'02 1500, just under 10,000 miles, one battery, both tires, put on a power commander module (running WAY too lean before) lean condition likely caused by the Cobra pipes. Other than that the only problem is not getting enough miles on it, could rectify that problem by selling the other bike. Gotta love the Kawi reliability!
Regards and such,
49Reo ;D
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: wynewolf on January 19, 2010, 08:03:27 AM
I have 8K on my 1500.  The only thing I've had to do is typical maintenance battery/tires/oil changes.  I have found that she runs lean with the Road House pipes....have been considering the power commander.  She's the best bike I've ever owned  ;D
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: jcf on January 19, 2010, 09:17:38 AM
What year is your 1500, and at what altitude do you usually ride?




jcf
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ski.dive on January 20, 2010, 17:41:57 PM
Quote from: jcf on December 12, 2009, 18:35:55 PM
Hi ya,

I just turned 110,00 on my '00 this past OCT.

Two aftermarket problems, and the bike just started leaking about a teaspoon oil a day from the front jug.


jcf

WOW!!! This means my 1500 DRIFTER will last me another 15 years, I'm happy!!!
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ski.dive on April 01, 2010, 19:51:39 PM
please post more on miles driven and any  ;)issues with your DRIFTER
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: MaggieQ on April 01, 2010, 19:58:06 PM
Just FYI any auto oil will ruin any motorcycle clutch, there is just not enough viscosity in it.  For those of you that are doing it, I would recommend changing it asap!! that will cost you a fortune really soon.  Cars don't run with a wet clutch system like motorcycles do.  We don't recommend any one brand over any other, its all about petroleum based vs synthetics vs semi synthetics and what your manufacturer recommends you run in it.  But remember I don't do real long trips on mine, about 5 hours is tops for me, since I am riding alone, and the only place I go besides commuting is to see my mom in New Mexico.  But always always always use car oil in cars and motorcycle specific oil in your motorcycle, or be prepared for the inexpensive car oil to cost you an expensive clutch rebuild, and down time while you are either doing it yourself, or having it done.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: chief on April 01, 2010, 21:31:53 PM
Any oil with friction modifiers is bad for us. Most auto specific oils have these modifiers.

Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ski.dive on April 06, 2010, 20:01:24 PM
I've owned motorcycles since 1966, always used 'car oil' never had a problem yet!!!! ;D ;D
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: chief on April 07, 2010, 15:58:46 PM
When I started riding everyone used automotive oil, there wasn't much choice. I don't think there was any such thing as bike specific oils. But times and oils have changed. Nowadays to meet government requirements there are all sorts of additives and modifiers in oils. Some of these are NOT good for wet clutches.

It is a fact, automobile oils with friction modifiers will cause problems for wet clutches - sooner or later, depending upon the modifiers.

There are very few automobile oils nowadays without friction modifiers, so if you use them, be careful.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would take the risk. The difference in price is not worth the hassle IMHO. I use synthetics - made for bikes, change often, and don't care about the few extra dollars. I save many times that amount in repair costs.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ramakins on April 07, 2010, 17:35:28 PM
I got bout 50k on my 01 drifter, besides modifications I have done, just basic maintenence Items that manual suggests, and only done a percentage of them. tires, brake pads, and my anual tightening of bolts, thats about it.

I did notice a vibration in handlebars end of last season, more so that the usual. I do need tires, wishfully thinkin, that will be it, or it will become a process of elimination. Stay tuned, tires will be installed tomorrow, went with Metzelers marathon, they come with black & white walls, whatever your pereference.
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: ski.dive on April 07, 2010, 18:40:36 PM
chief:
where on the oil can do you read about 'friction modifiers', to see if the oil has friction modifiers ??? ?
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: 49Reo on April 07, 2010, 19:27:30 PM
Quote from: ramakins on April 07, 2010, 17:35:28 PM
I got bout 50k on my 01 drifter, besides modifications I have done, just basic maintenence Items that manual suggests, and only done a percentage of them. tires, brake pads, and my anual tightening of bolts, thats about it.

I did notice a vibration in handlebars end of last season, more so that the usual. I do need tires, wishfully thinkin, that will be it, or it will become a process of elimination. Stay tuned, tires will be installed tomorrow, went with Metzelers marathon, they come with black & white walls, whatever your pereference.
That handlebar vibration could be cause by steering neck bearing being loose or worn; I had this on one of my bikes several years ago; got a little shaky in the bars, if you tried to let go it would wobble BAD. Something to check out if the tires don't fix it up.
Regards and such,
49Reo :)
Title: Re: how many miles on your drifter? any major problems?
Post by: Varooom on April 07, 2010, 20:46:34 PM
I've had my Kawasaki dealer rebuild my 1999 1500 clutch twice and the dealer finally convinced me that it was the fact that I was using Castrol automotive oil rather than the $5 a quart motorcycle specific oil that he sells.  So, I've been using his oil since the second rebuild and he has repeatedly rebuilt the clutch using the 1999 specified pressure spring which we now know causes slippage after it wears.
I'm installing the mean streak spring and Judge washers as soon as I get the latter and wonder if this isn't the main problem with these assemblies.  The dealer professed to now know about the spring problems we've all experienced.
Varooom