Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: rustyduke on April 08, 2011, 13:40:37 PM

Title: shaft driven gear upgrade
Post by: rustyduke on April 08, 2011, 13:40:37 PM
I have a 1999 1500 and I want to have an over drive gear (better gas mileage) on my bike. It has the shaft driven power train and I have looked around but can't find any solutions. I also would like some information on wind shields and mounting for my bike. Thank You 
Title: Re: shaft driven gear upgrade
Post by: Troll on April 08, 2011, 14:25:53 PM
    On a 1500, both 4th and 5th are overdrive gears,  4th being .965 and 5th being .781. On an 800, only 5th is overdrive.  The final drive is 2.619:1  The primary reduction is 1.517, giving a total top gear reduction of 3.103:1 If you could find a rear drive gear with a different numeric ratio that would fit.......
Title: Re: shaft driven gear upgrade
Post by: chief on April 08, 2011, 14:34:08 PM
On the 1500, 5th gear really does the job. Don't know of anyone doing anything different there. Look on the web site under accessories and windshields for info. Rifle and National Cycle offer shields which will fit the Drifter.
Title: Re: shaft driven gear upgrade
Post by: pcarrell on April 08, 2011, 23:17:43 PM
Cee Bailey's also does shields.
Title: Re: shaft driven gear upgrade
Post by: Captain Conch on April 23, 2011, 09:05:18 AM
Yes, on a 1500 Drifter it's already got the overdrive going as generally they get fantastic gas mileage. I briefly owned a special edition Kawa Mean Streak with 1600 cc engine and it always felt like it needed an extra gear, It turned more rpm at similar speeds compared Drifter. I sold it. I could not live with the feeling of needing that next gear for the highway. I figured with the larger displacement it should have that gear. Drifters rule.

Conch