Vulcan Drifter Riders

INFORMATION and LINKS => Introductions => Topic started by: Ernest on March 19, 2018, 10:14:03 AM

Title: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 19, 2018, 10:14:03 AM
Hello, I'm Ernest from Houston, TX.  This is more or less my first post.  I've been following Forum Threads for a while.

Recently purchased my first Drifter (800) as a project.  I'm scheduled to receive it tomorrow.  The story on the bike is that it needs the carburetor cleaned and a new battery. 

I hope you guys can help me bring this lovely back to its full potential, looking forward too communicating with the group.

Thanks!

Ernest
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ogri on March 19, 2018, 10:54:31 AM
Hi Ernest, welcome to the group. It's good to see a fellow 800 owner, those 1500ers are starting to take over!   ;D
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 19, 2018, 16:08:35 PM
Welcome Ernest:
                         So battery is really easy to swap out. What is wrong with the carb? If the bike is running then a couple of glugs into a a fuel tank of fresh gas of SeaFoam just might be the answer.
  800's are so much fun to tinker on and to ride....
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 19, 2018, 23:09:06 PM
Quote from: Ogri on March 19, 2018, 10:54:31 AM
Hi Ernest, welcome to the group. It's good to see a fellow 800 owner, those 1500ers are starting to take over!   ;D

lol  1500 can take over. the 800 is the prettier bike.  seems to capture the essences of the old Harley rigids (hard tales), 45 cubic inch for sure.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 19, 2018, 23:21:02 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on March 19, 2018, 16:08:35 PM
Welcome Ernest:
                         So battery is really easy to swap out. What is wrong with the carb? If the bike is running then a couple of glugs into a a fuel tank of fresh gas of SeaFoam just might be the answer.
  800's are so much fun to tinker on and to ride....

I purchased to bike over the internet.  I'll figure things out when I receive it.  in this day, so much purchasing is done over the internet, didn't have the opportunity to see bike in person.   kinda made an educated decision on the information available.

Thanks about advise about Seafoam, it looks like the bike just sat, that made the battery and carburetor go bad....
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 20, 2018, 00:14:23 AM
 If that was the big issue that the bike just sat, then perhaps take the battery out have it tested for load and such on a bench and then replace it and if you are going to do an oil change then prior to the oil change add some fresh gas to the tank, add a couple of glugs of seafoam to the gas tank and shake it up good, you don't need a full tank for this, and then add a couple of glugs to the oil also.
   Then take it for a nice ride and keep the rpm's up and shift through the gears. Then bring it home and then do an oil change. when you do the oil change, remove the screen from the side of the engine before the drain plug and the filter, allow most of the oil from the side drain and then remove the screen and see  what is showing up on that.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: mittico68 on March 20, 2018, 03:35:23 AM
Welcome aboard!
You'll see: the 800 is way cooler and smoother then the 1500...  ;)
Don't forget to post some pics of your beauty!  ::)
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: kw-retrorider on March 20, 2018, 03:50:46 AM
Welcome....battery and carb problems are not fatal. Bought my first 800 when it would only run on choke and would not take a load. Bike had been sitting. No amount of seafoam or similar that the previous owner tried over several months to get it running right so I could ride it, worked....although I certainly would drain the tank and try fresh gas with additive first as ratman suggests.

I bought the bike anyway and took it straight to a dealer, who rebuilt the carb. I have never touched it since. That was 20k miles ago. So, regardless of who does the rebuild, they can be rebuilt and cleaned out with good results. If I remember right, the tank petcock valve was changed as well.

You will enjoy the 800 once that carb is cleaned and set up right. Good luck with your choice.

What year is it?...and don't forget to post a pic once you get it home.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: greenbarn on March 20, 2018, 19:44:53 PM
Pictures?  Did someone mention Pictures??  Pictures we like.....
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 20, 2018, 21:10:35 PM
(https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~w4AAOSwsuhanLOf/s-l1600.jpg)

You guys may have seen this 2005 before, the seller told me about this Forum.

She's a little rough.  But, has a lot of potential.  I just received her today.  This is the low down so far:

looks like a good chance, I can save the battery.

the carburetor does have bad gas, it has that poor fuel smell, and the fuel has become thick.

it may have an issue with the blinkers, they stay on.  but, the left and right switch works.  the rear blinkers are not installed.   maybe, that why they stay on? don't know if it is a circuit.

I think, the plan for tomorrow, removing/cleaning the tank.  prime the carb, see if I can run some clean fuel through the carb.

I started removing the breather housing, and surprise that it has approximately 4 hoses attached to the rear.   are those needed?  has anyone tried capping them?

thanks!

Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 20, 2018, 21:24:27 PM
  Looks like a roadhouse exhaust system.

   Ref the air filter and the hoses check this link out....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73kzvWUfio

Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 21, 2018, 08:43:23 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on March 20, 2018, 21:24:27 PM
  Looks like a roadhouse exhaust system.

   Ref the air filter and the hoses check this link out....

Thanks! very helpful.   I like this mod.  I'm going to hold off, don't want to add any variables until I get the bike running.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ogri on March 21, 2018, 10:27:46 AM
I think you either need a 100% higher wattage bulb in each front blinker or an indicator relay with a 50% lower rating.
Someone who understands electrics will be along shortly to tell you what to do (and to call me an idiot.)

Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 21, 2018, 10:47:30 AM
  I am not an electrician but I know that the 800 does not have a lot of storage for power of lights. Ernest when I was messing with my rear signal lights I wanted to turn them into marker lights and it was not hard but the taillight would pulse with the signal lights till I had the bike running. So to check the signal lights and any of the lights try and have the bike running properly. Smart idea like you said do one thing at a time to sort it all out.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 21, 2018, 12:35:55 PM
...thanks for the additional info guys!    :)
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Pilgrim on March 21, 2018, 15:32:47 PM
Will be a nice ride wen you get her running and cleaned up. Looks like you have a great place to work also.
I imagine you will wind up cleaning the carb and entire fuel system if the fuel has gelled.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 22, 2018, 20:41:05 PM
Quote from: Pilgrim on March 21, 2018, 15:32:47 PM
Will be a nice ride wen you get her running and cleaned up. Looks like you have a great place to work also.
I imagine you will wind up cleaning the carb and entire fuel system if the fuel has gelled.

I rinsed the bad fuel from the tank and was able to get her running, really hav'nt driven her.  but, tomorrow i'll taker her to get inspected.  In Texas we get vehicles inspected before we obtain registration.    seems to be running well enough.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 22, 2018, 20:43:48 PM
looking to add seafoam treatment in the oil.  but, not sure where you add engine oil?  is it the filler behind the exhaust pipe on the rear cylinder? 

thanks in advance...
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Pilgrim on March 22, 2018, 21:34:52 PM
Sitting on bike, look down right side on top of Chrome cover there is a slotted screw about the size of a half dollar.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 22, 2018, 22:26:11 PM
  Like Pilgrim said as you sit on the bike look down on the left side and on top of the cover next to the jugs is a plug that has 710 or OIL on it and that is where you add the oil and add the seafoam.....
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Pilgrim on March 23, 2018, 07:18:16 AM
710... ;D  Is it on the left side on the 800?
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: mittico68 on March 23, 2018, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: Pilgrim on March 23, 2018, 07:18:16 AM
710... ;D  Is it on the left side on the 800?
Yes, but mine hasn't got no "710" on the screen... LOL ...  ;D
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 23, 2018, 14:57:01 PM
  There is on the left side of the bike a plug and it says 710 right on it......just take a close look......
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: mittico68 on March 24, 2018, 03:04:42 AM
 :o I thought the "710" was just the "OIL" word seen upsidedown...  :o
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Old Drifter on March 24, 2018, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: mittico68 on March 24, 2018, 03:04:42 AM
:o I thought the "710" was just the "OIL" word seen upsidedown...  :o

You may need a mirror to read it properly...but it's there.
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Ernest on March 24, 2018, 22:16:04 PM
Quote from: Pilgrim on March 22, 2018, 21:34:52 PM
Sitting on bike, look down right side on top of Chrome cover there is a slotted screw about the size of a half dollar.

Thanks!  got it!
Title: Re: New Owner Houston, TX
Post by: Texasdrifter on June 17, 2018, 21:04:08 PM
Ernest,
Hope you got the 800 running. I'm up in Montgomery near Conroe. All my pollution control and the airbox was removed and it has a S&S Air Cleaner Mounted, runs great without it.