Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: Gunslinger45 on July 25, 2017, 15:37:06 PM

Title: Intermittent Fault Code
Post by: Gunslinger45 on July 25, 2017, 15:37:06 PM
I have a 2002 Drifter 1500 and have been getting an intermittent fault indicator light. I got home and tried to retrieve the code by grounding pin 37 on the ECU and no code. I started the bike and let it idle and after a minute the light came on. I turned the bike off and tried the code again and got 31. That was the only code displayed. I checked and that is the vehicle down sensor. The bike doesn't shut off or run badly so I am not sure if that is accurate. Can the sensor be going out and not shut off the bike when the code trips?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Title: Re: Intermittent Fault Code
Post by: chief on July 26, 2017, 13:31:22 PM
I guess it could be a faulty sensor that doesn't last long enough to trigger shutdown. Haven't heard this one before.
Title: Re: Intermittent Fault Code
Post by: Troll on July 26, 2017, 15:31:02 PM
Just looked at the trouble shooting fault tree for this code. All I can find indicates that it either works or it doesn't. Be sure that the mountings are tight, and the sensor is 100% vertical. Are you sure it's a 31 and not 13 (IAT sensor), which could come on and the engine would still run.
Title: Re: Intermittent Fault Code
Post by: Gunslinger45 on July 26, 2017, 16:00:21 PM
Update:  I bumped the idle up a bit as it was set down from previous owner. I was having a little rough idle while cold. Rode to work today and it popped on once early on my ride in and didn't come on at all on the ride home. I will ride it a few more times to see what happens. Not sure why that would make a difference but time will tell. I plan on checking the charging system to make sure it isn't dipping under 12V at low idle.