Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: tinbender1966 on March 18, 2011, 22:28:51 PM

Title: Spark plug inserts
Post by: tinbender1966 on March 18, 2011, 22:28:51 PM
Has anyone put one in there bikes?? If so where did you get it from?? I would just put a heli-coil in but my machine shop buddie says that a inserts would be the best for along term fix.
Thanks for any help
Title: Re: Spark plug inserts
Post by: griz01 on March 19, 2011, 05:44:48 AM
Heli Coil are typically a wound spring that replace the threads in a stripped hole. The Spark Plug repair kits, even the ones from Heli Coil, contain the solid insert type repair sleeve. They are easier to install and a much stronger than the original alum material. They require no drilling; unlike the coil spring style, and are staked into place so there is no "drive tail" to break off. I have used them to save several heads. Never had a problem. Any parts house should carry them. I get mine at Bumper to Bumper locally here. 
Title: Re: Spark plug inserts
Post by: Troll on March 19, 2011, 09:07:07 AM
K-D makes a kit with everything you need to install a standard 14 mm or 18 mm spark plug insert, but the differences in plugs on motorcycles makes it hard to find what you need. Seems like the manufacturers first design parameter is to fine some odd ball plug size to thwart the owner. Heli-coil makes sleeve inserts in several sizes, and there is a company called key insert that makes them, too. I used them in my 98" shovelhead on the right side (dual plugged) because the metal of the head is too thin to support a plug properly for long. Bear in mind, the inserts are not a permanent fix, and will loosen over time. One fine day, you will remove a plug from the head with the insert stuck on it.  ::)
Title: Re: Spark plug inserts
Post by: tinbender1966 on March 19, 2011, 10:11:33 AM
I have worked on airplanes for the last 25 years and understand the might come out. Just do not have the time to pull the motor to replace the head. So this is the best I can do for now.