Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: grinnell on March 31, 2017, 19:38:49 PM

Title: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: grinnell on March 31, 2017, 19:38:49 PM
Wondering for those of you out there that have the 59' Cadillac lenses if there is anything special about putting them on the back turns? Looking at the ones below can't visualize how they would connect/stay on. What am I missing? Is there another part needed? Pics if possible? Looked at quite a few on ebay and they all look like there just the lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Single-Clear-Tail-Light-Lens-1959-Cadillac-lense-/182443112451?fits=Year%3A1959%7CMake%3ACadillac&hash=item2a7a74f803:g:168AAOSw5cNYlDVP&vxp=mtr
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 31, 2017, 20:39:33 PM
You might want to reach out and pm GreenBarn and Rockin ronny because I know they both did this mod......
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on March 31, 2017, 21:13:51 PM
dumb question here, but what's the way to know these would even be close to fitting on a drifter? ???  they don't call out a diameter do they?  I think they look really cool, seen them on old vintage indians, but the ebay site fitment charts all show actual Cadillacs--my year 1959 8).
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on March 31, 2017, 23:48:03 PM
Well I was browsing through eBay for Cadillac lenses and some of them do call out a diameter. Some which cost a little more do include the mounts. it seems to me you're going to need some type of adapter made, probably out of aluminum. that's what machinists are good for ;D
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: greenbarn on March 31, 2017, 23:54:34 PM
There are, I'm sure, many ways to attach them.  There are good write-ups on 2 different ways here:
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42821.msg95255#msg95255 http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42821.msg95255#msg95255drifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42794.0

The 59 caddy lights fit pretty well directly on the stock Drifter tail light.  The "cup" or "backing" for the caddy lens can be adapted easily to screw to the stock kaw housing.  Then it's a simple matter to attach the caddy lens to the backing.  The caddy light is then kind of heavy for the rubber-mounted kaw light housing, sometimes causing the light to sag a bit.  Some folks, including me, made some type of bracket to help support the light.

I used this method on my first attempt, but later I adapted HD turn signals with rigid mounts to the Drifter bumper.  The caddy lights are slightly smaller in diameter than the HD light housing - so I made an aluminum adapter to bolt it on.  I was pleased with how they turned out  - I also have HD markers on the front, so they match.
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 31, 2017, 23:58:39 PM
 They do look cool when your following him on the road......
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Doobby on April 17, 2017, 13:46:48 PM
My first attempt was the Caddy lights adapted to the stock Drifter light housings. It was easy to mount them, but the end result was not good. The Caddy light is just too much overhung load for the stock light to handle. Over time the plastic/rubber on the light failed and I lost the light.

My second attempt was using Greenbarn's modification. It worked perfectly. The lights and extensions that he recommended were readily available (eBay). The aluminum adapter was easy to make. The only additional step that I took was a modification to the stock bushing that the bolt for the light goes through.

The stock bushing only allows you to tighten the light mounting bolt to the point that it bottoms out on the bushing. This still allowed the light and bushing to pivot within the mount. I found that if I ground off a little of the bushing making it shorter, that you could tighten the bolt enough to compress more of the rubber bushing. This really tightens up the light and keeps it from swiveling under it's own weight.

Many thanks to Greenbarn for figuring out the hard stuff and making it available to us!
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on April 17, 2017, 17:14:05 PM
Well you guys gave me the idea for Cadillac lenses, but the funny twist is I decided they'd look better on my other bike, my Valkyrie... 8)


So the rear lenses turned out so nice I went ahead and did the fronts as well. Here's the latest update – I know it's not on my drifter but it's not off topic  ::)
https://youtu.be/ZQ-xqcylb6g
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: RockinRollin on April 18, 2017, 09:32:58 AM
Nice saddle bags Tfrank!
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on April 18, 2017, 11:10:29 AM
 Thanks. Now the only issue with those lenses, and I should warn you, is that I'm always walking into them when I walk around my bike. It's a good thing they're rubber mounted.
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 18, 2017, 15:56:35 PM
  Just stop walking around the bike and relax......lol.....
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on December 10, 2017, 20:18:08 PM
Quote from: Tfrank59 on April 17, 2017, 17:14:05 PM
Well you guys gave me the idea for Cadillac lenses, but the funny twist is I decided they'd look better on my other bike, my Valkyrie... 8)


So the rear lenses turned out so nice I went ahead and did the fronts as well. Here's the latest update – I know it's not on my drifter but it's not off topic  ::)
https://youtu.be/ZQ-xqcylb6g


reviving an old thread here, could perhaps just begin a new one but...
I'll be making adaptors for these Cadillac lenses to go on the rear of my Drifter 800:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Cadillac-taillight-lenses-one-pair-new/152639434733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Per my post above in April, I already did my other bike's turn signals (front and rear) with the Caddy lenses and I love them, so I'm going to make this one of several winter projects, to get them (red ones this time) on the back of my Drifter.  Will update you when I have them on there... Please stand by.
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Tfrank59 on December 30, 2017, 15:51:23 PM
Okay, got 'em done.  have a look...

https://youtu.be/undQV_ln_rs

https://youtu.be/Mb_kJtKF9Us

The time to make those lens adapters is like 5 hours for an old geezer like me, but I'm glad I went through it.
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Pilgrim on December 30, 2017, 16:54:34 PM
Awesome Drifter and good job on the lenses.
Title: Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
Post by: Deertickstew on May 05, 2020, 01:11:25 AM
Does anyone make the bracket, or brackets that would go between the 1959 Cadillac lenses and the turn signals? I have the lenses, I have the turn signals. I need brackets to go between. I can make some ok stuff, but not like those machines billet aluminum adaptors I saw somewhere on here.