Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: Pilgrim on June 19, 2016, 16:32:53 PM

Title: Route Planning
Post by: Pilgrim on June 19, 2016, 16:32:53 PM
Not a big fan of riding on the interstates and stick to the best secondary roads when possible.
As you know, GPS will take you on some long trips if your not careful or  put in avoid highways and it may take you the long way around.

Is it possible to plan a route on google maps and then xfer it to a garmin nuvi? Can you explain the best way to do that or best software to use.

Thanks
Title: Re: Route Planning
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 19, 2016, 19:57:46 PM
 :o of course there is always a way.........

I'll pm you once I figure it out.....
Title: Re: Route Planning
Post by: greenbarn on June 20, 2016, 21:18:33 PM
Mapquest used to do just that -- let you plan your route and transfer it to your GPS.  They deleted that option.


Best thing I can find is on the HD site. 
http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/plan-your-ride/hd-ride-planner-overview.html

It is not without flaws, but it works pretty good.   It's based on Google maps, so is easy to use.  I planned a 460 mile ride over memorial day weekend, and it worked great.  There are some quirks, so try it on a short easy trip before you put in a long trip.
Title: Re: Route Planning
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 20, 2016, 23:29:21 PM
 That is the site I sent him but his GPS does not allow downloading to it. I plan on using this when I go to Sparta this summer. I have tried it around here for a local ride and it worked well, it does have a few duh moments in it but once you figure it out it is pretty easy, thanks for showing it to me last year.
Title: Re: Route Planning
Post by: DC on June 21, 2016, 12:31:09 PM
Some of the groups I ride with map out riding routes on Tyre to Travel (http://www.tyretotravel.com/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4J24IrTw8U (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4J24IrTw8U)
Title: Re: Route Planning
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 21, 2016, 13:06:38 PM
Thanks DC will try it over the weekend and see if it is any easier.