Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 12:36:28 PM

Title: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 12:36:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I need a new rear Fender for my 2001 1500 and was curious if other years/models would fit my bike or if I need to buy one specifically for my 01' 1500. Let me know and if you have some links to share where I can find one I would appreciate it. thanks.

Rob
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: mittico68 on May 11, 2016, 12:50:08 PM
As far as I know, any year fender should fit your bike.
But only if that's a 1500's, because 800's rear fender is way different...
I suggest you to take a look at Ebay, because sometimes it happens to pop up (but it's quite pricey...).
Just my 2 cents.
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 14:29:34 PM
Quote from: mittico68 on May 11, 2016, 12:50:08 PM
As far as I know, any year fender should fit your bike.
But only if that's a 1500's, because 800's rear fender is way different...
I suggest you to take a look at Ebay, because sometimes it happens to pop up (but it's quite pricey...).
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Mittico,

I noticed one on ebay for like $250 I think. Not sure if that is considered expensive or not, obviously I would like to spend less haha. My bike was laid down by the previous owner and the rear fender has a small crack and is bent so my bike looks crooked from the back. Its been driving me crazy!
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: CDNRatMan on May 11, 2016, 15:42:03 PM
 You can see the cracked bent fender on your bike from the rear?
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 16:08:15 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on May 11, 2016, 15:42:03 PM
You can see the cracked bent fender on your bike from the rear?

You can't see the crack unless you look really close. But you can definitely tell its bent. The bike looks crooked literally.

Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: mittico68 on May 12, 2016, 04:23:21 AM
Quote from: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 14:29:34 PM
I noticed one on ebay for like $250 I think. Not sure if that is considered expensive or not
Well, I guess it depends on the money you've got in your pocket... lol...

Quote from: rawbz36 on May 11, 2016, 14:29:34 PM
My bike was laid down by the previous owner and the rear fender has a small crack and is bent so my bike looks crooked from the back. Its been driving me crazy!
Did you consider to repair it? Maybe it could cost ya less than a new one...
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: RockinRollin on May 12, 2016, 09:23:37 AM
$250 isn't bad for a rear fender in good shape. The fiberglass ones are $300 to $350.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-1500-Drifter-Motorcycle-Indian-Style-Fiberglass-Rear-Fender-/361548717848?hash=item542dfb9f18:g:Tu8AAOSwnDZT6Owf&vxp=mtr
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 12, 2016, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: mittico68 on May 12, 2016, 04:23:21 AM
Well, I guess it depends on the money you've got in your pocket... lol...
Did you consider to repair it? Maybe it could cost ya less than a new one...

Ya know, I never thought to fix it actually. I know I can't fix it myself I am not handy like that, but I am sure I could take it to a repair shop and see how much they would want to fix it and hopefully straighten it out. It being crooked is what is driving me crazy.
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 12, 2016, 10:55:23 AM
it may even be the rear fender support bracket that is actually bent. That could be causing the fender to look that way I'd suppose right?
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: Old Drifter on May 12, 2016, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: rawbz36 on May 12, 2016, 10:55:23 AM
it may even be the rear fender support bracket that is actually bent. That could be causing the fender to look that way I'd suppose right?

Yes, that is probably whats causing it to look "crooked". The plastic fender will go with whatever is supporting it (support bracket).
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: AZCaveman on May 12, 2016, 14:49:22 PM
The fender on my wife's bike was missing sections and had 4 rough cut 1 inch holes all through it.  Never ever worked abs before. Bought a plastic welder from harbor frieght...and perfect now!     Abs is ridiculously simple to fix.  Try it first, before shelling out unnecessary cash.
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: rawbz36 on May 12, 2016, 16:42:31 PM
Quote from: AZCaveman on May 12, 2016, 14:49:22 PM
The fender on my wife's bike was missing sections and had 4 rough cut 1 inch holes all through it.  Never ever worked abs before. Bought a plastic welder from harbor frieght...and perfect now!     Abs is ridiculously simple to fix.  Try it first, before shelling out unnecessary cash.

Thanks caveman, but what is abs? lol. Sorry I am not very mechanically informed
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: Troll on May 12, 2016, 19:54:40 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: AZCaveman on May 12, 2016, 20:54:26 PM
ABS is the plastic  your fenders made of.   Very durable and sturdy.  Very forgiving also.  Easy to work.  Just melt filler 'abs' rod into crack. The heat of the filler rod will almost melt itself into fender thus creating a good weld. (After proper cleaning and removal of paint).  Sand it smooth and paint,,,,,done
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: Mak on June 01, 2016, 05:09:56 AM
AZCaveman

This is good advise - and you are 111% right - had a repair on one of mine - nothing major just edge chipping from many country relocation/shipping - works just fine like you say.

M
Title: Re: Rear Fender for my 01' 1500
Post by: drifter-paul on June 10, 2016, 03:03:44 AM
A panel beater can do it for you, not a bigjob, heat welding , bogging smooth - better than my fibreglassing job after I took it bush, been 4 years now and still perfect.