This is on a 2002 800 with ~6500 miles
If I have a properly adjusted cable, can't get into neutral without shutting off the engine.
If I take all the freeplay out of the cable and I can shift into neutral from first fine when the drivetrain is cold. But as it warms up it gets harder to downshift, and neutral again disappears.
If you sit at a stoplight in first, clutch pulled in, the bike will actually start to creep when warm.
So. are my clutch plates swelling up? The steels warped? I doubt this as there are no other symptoms. I've never had this happen on any of my 80 previous bikes. The clutch has plenty of grab and has never slipped regardless of adjustment.
I'm guessing a new set of plates is on the horizon. Is there a recommended set? Barnett? Stock?
I have not had any of those issues. I have my clutch in and the bike in gear and the bike has been running all day, never had that issue. Sorry can not help you.
After reading the below post I am running Kawasaki Synthetic oil in my bike.......
Yeah, you maybe need new clutch plates. The only other question I can think of is what oil are you running? Many guys with clutch slipping problems can tie it to the wrong oil--wondering if your problem (the opposite problem) is somehow oil related. can the wrong oil allow the clutch to overheat and thereby not disengage? just food for thought. If your cable and throw-out is properly adjusted, might consider changing your oil before tearing into it and buying parts. I'm running full synthetic, Valvoline 4T motorcycle oil, specifically for bikes with a wet clutch, and everything's great (with both my bikes). Don't have any other ideas at the moment. let us know what you learn.
Tom,
That's a good idea. I just picked up a new filter yesterday, so I'd say a change to something known is in order. I've only put about 150 miles on the bike since I bought it. I was so pleased with the grampsizing that I've been riding it more, but have no idea what the PO had put in it. I'll let everyone know if that has any affect on the problem.
Quote from: allstateguy on May 08, 2016, 23:16:12 PM
Tom,
That's a good idea. I just picked up a new filter yesterday, so I'd say a change to something known is in order. I've only put about 150 miles on the bike since I bought it. I was so pleased with the grampsizing that I've been riding it more, but have no idea what the PO had put in it. I'll let everyone know if that has any affect on the problem.
Check the clutch adjustment. 800s need a periodic adjustment to the cable
There is an adjustment area on the cable about halfway down the front frame tube, might want to check there also. When I did my first oil change I added 2 good glugs of seafoam to the oil and went for a nice short ride to get it mixed in and all over everything, came home let it sit till it was cool enough to undo the drain plugs.