Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: Diddly squatt on March 19, 2016, 18:38:04 PM

Title: New Pipes
Post by: Diddly squatt on March 19, 2016, 18:38:04 PM
Diddly Squatt sure sounds sweet farting along down the road. Maybe my imagination but she feels like she wants to haul arse.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 19, 2016, 20:15:28 PM
looks sweet smart to make the outside the longer one, seen one the other way and a lot of black soot on the pipes after a while.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Tfrank59 on March 19, 2016, 21:08:35 PM
They look awesome. I'm so jealous :D  Apparently you opted for no baffles, or did you get them in there since your last post?
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: greenbarn on March 19, 2016, 21:43:39 PM
That's a real good look there. 
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Diddly squatt on March 19, 2016, 22:51:05 PM
Quote from: Tfrank59 on March 19, 2016, 21:08:35 PM
They look awesome. I'm so jealous :D  Apparently you opted for no baffles, or did you get them in there since your last post?
Oh No..Baffles are definately necessary. Very loud without them.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CrshOverride on March 21, 2016, 14:38:40 PM
No baffles here...everybody else just has to deal.  8)

It's definitely loud but, in the words of the mechanic that did the install and tune, it pulls harder than a lot of the Sportsters he gets in the shop.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Trall on March 22, 2016, 03:19:41 AM
Diddley Squat and CrshOverride, Those are niceeeeeee pipes and look awesome on those perfect Drifters........Good Job
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: tj on March 22, 2016, 14:00:09 PM
awesome tips!!

what heat wrap did you use?...nice touch.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 22, 2016, 16:02:53 PM
CrshOverride really nice subtle touch having the fish tails on that angle, makes it that much nicer they are not the same as everyone else.

Both of you have nice rides.......Hope to see them in WI
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: greenbarn on March 23, 2016, 21:36:47 PM
I do love those fish tails.....  Who's going to Wisconsin?  I hope there's a big crowd there!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 16, 2016, 05:28:47 AM
Looking for new pipes for my 800 and really like the Hard Krome American Classic II but they no longer make them. Any suggestions? I like how long they are as I have saddle bags and would like them to go past them.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CrshOverride on April 19, 2016, 14:50:18 PM
Quote from: drifter2001 on April 16, 2016, 05:28:47 AM
Looking for new pipes for my 800 and really like the Hard Krome American Classic II but they no longer make them. Any suggestions? I like how long they are as I have saddle bags and would like them to go past them.

I wound up going custom with mine. Find a good custom shop near you and talk to them. They may be able to put something together for a reasonable price. My pipes (above) came out to be just a little more than Hard Kromes w/ wrap included.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 20, 2016, 21:40:12 PM
Quote from: drifter2001 on April 16, 2016, 05:28:47 AM
Looking for new pipes for my 800 and really like the Hard Krome American Classic II but they no longer make them. Any suggestions? I like how long they are as I have saddle bags and would like them to go past them.
.                        Just ordered Classic II's for mine from Hardkrome and they will be delivered on the 29th.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 20, 2016, 23:06:30 PM
 ;D yours, for the Triumph? Or did you order pipes for your Wife's Drifter..............
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 20, 2016, 23:30:26 PM
For the Drifter.   Ordered them straight from Hardkrome in late March. They informed me yesterday they were at the chroming shop and will be sent to me on the 29th.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 21, 2016, 00:01:05 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 20, 2016, 23:06:30 PM
;D yours, for the Triumph? Or did you order pipes for your Wife's Drifter..............
Hellriser Customs has them as well
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Diddly squatt on April 21, 2016, 08:46:57 AM
When I was looking for aftermarket pipes for Diddly Squatt, I would follow the Craigslist adds for Kaw Drifter within a reasonable drive from my home. If a seller said he had both aftermarket and stock exhaust, I would send him a email stating that "if the buyer wasn't interested in the aftermarket pipes that I might buy them".  I received several offers to sell me the exhaust before I found the fishtail exhaust for $100 within a short distance from my home.
The reason I am telling this is that some Drifter riders can't afford to spend the $400+ plus shipping that many manufacturer's ask for their exhausts.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 21, 2016, 22:13:58 PM
I have been dealing directly with Hard Krome also and they told me they had a set of 2 1/2" stripper straights left but didn't have any American Classics which I really wanted. I ordered the stripper straights but I don't think it is going to be what i am looking for as I want them to stick out past my saddlebags... I couldn't find a picture of them on a drifter to look at.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 21, 2016, 23:02:23 PM
Maybe I got the last ones! You have me nervous now! I ordered them on line from Hardkrome and didn't hear from them for a couple weeks. no confirmation or anything. After repeated E-mails and phone calls I finally talked with someone a few days ago. he said the pipes are pretty much made to order and a lot of the work is farmed out to other shops. He said mine are in chrome right now, as they can't do that in California for environmental reasons. He apologized for not getting ahold of me sooner and assured me he will ship them to me on the 29th. Guess we will see how it pans out!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 21, 2016, 23:08:49 PM
I talked to a guy named Micheal and he said they don't make the American Classic II anymore but found the last set of stripper straights after digging in the warehouse. Took my credit card info and said he would send an e-mail confirmation which I didn't get yet and was going to try and get them out today and send tracking number. Haven't received any e-mails. Hopefully not a scam as these pipes are not cheap!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 21, 2016, 23:25:36 PM
same guy I talked to! They got my money right away, I had to send them the pay pal order info because he said he had no record of my order! after I sent him the info, he said he'd look into it then I didn't hear from him for a while, until the afore mentioned conversation a couple days ago.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 21, 2016, 23:31:17 PM
I will be calling him back tomorrow to see what is going on!!!!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 21, 2016, 23:48:34 PM
This is the last e-mail he sent me, three days ago...".Hello Ron, I have a 100%ETA for when your pipes will be shipped I will have them in my hands and out to you on the 29th the will be back from chrome and sent straight to you. I do apologize about the delay"
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 22, 2016, 11:08:05 AM
Well I called Hard Krome back today. He told me yesterday they had one set of pipes he found that would fit my drifter 800 and said they were stripper straights. When I talked to him today he said they were kickers which are short and staggered. I then said I wanted the Americn Classic II long look. He said we don't make them anymore and this is all we have left. Needless to say I cancelled my order as they are not what I want. Looking for the long pipes as I bought fishtail ends caps I wanted to put on them. I am getting pretty frustrated as I can't find what I am looking for. Will probably end up drilling out the baffles in my stock exhaust to get a little rumble. Hope all works out with you getting your pipes and congrats for getting the last ones....
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 22, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
At this point I'm hoping I get what I ordered! Funny thing is, they still have the Classics for the 800 on their webpage! Misleading to say the least!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 22, 2016, 17:07:23 PM
Well i cancelled my order but followed a link on this thread to Hellriserscustoms and low and behold Bill told me he contacted Hard Krome owner as he was not aware of production on the hard krome american classicII for drifter 800 being discontinued. He called me back (Bill) and said they are making a few sets due to demand and it is a list for people wanting these to get on. So I am on the list through Hell Risers. 3 week lead time. I then called Hard Krome back and Micheal said he was not aware of this and wished the owner would talk to the salesmen. What a mess!!! Hopefully they work things out as they are really nice pipes. But I am on the list to get what I want..... All is good in Drifter land right now unless I don't get pipes. I just uploaded pictures of my bike which I have stuck alot of time and money into so hopefully they appear soon! ;D
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 22, 2016, 17:25:49 PM
I just hope I get the right ones! Your pics haven't showed up yet. Give them time to approve them. Three weeks isn't too bad a wait for the pipes. It's been a month now for me! Gettin' a little antsi!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: greenbarn on April 23, 2016, 09:00:00 AM
I've got the Hard Khrome american classics on my 800 -- I like them a lot --  You guys will be glad you waited.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 23, 2016, 15:25:48 PM
Here is a picture of my bike now
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 23, 2016, 15:44:37 PM
Beautiful!!!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 23, 2016, 16:17:51 PM
  Well another awesome 800 and hope to see it in Sparta in July.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: greenbarn on April 23, 2016, 21:18:58 PM
That's a beauty!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: mittico68 on April 24, 2016, 02:11:37 AM
Such a beauty!
What make are those saddlebags? I really like them...
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: pcarrell on April 24, 2016, 08:27:59 AM
Gotta say, that bike is stunning!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 24, 2016, 10:09:02 AM
The saddlebags, tank and fender bibs and mud flaps came from Osprey limited. He sent me extra leather so I could make lever fringe and grip covers. I also made the floor board fringe. The seat has a new cover on it from Corbin. The bike just went into the shop to have it lowered 2" as with the Corbin seat it is a little to wide and I am tippy toes and I don't like that. I removed as much of the foam from the thigh area in the seat as I could and didn't help.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on April 24, 2016, 10:22:41 AM
My lady has the same issue, I lowered the bike and still tippy toes. Shave some off the sides of the seat so your legs don't have to spread out so much. Should help!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: pcarrell on April 24, 2016, 12:37:47 PM
If you lower the bike don't forget to change the kick stand to a voyager one.  It's shorter, and a straight bolt up.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: tj on April 24, 2016, 13:47:06 PM
looks real nice!!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 25, 2016, 09:24:38 AM
Thanks for reminding me about the kickstand as I never thought of that!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on April 25, 2016, 10:01:00 AM
You mentioned a voyager kickstand will work. Is there a specific one I should get as I just looked and there are a lot of different models. Thanks for your help!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: gcates on April 25, 2016, 12:08:18 PM
That bike is beautiful!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: mittico68 on May 22, 2016, 05:44:34 AM
Ehy Diddly Squatt, could you explain if that mod has been just a bolt-on? Did those pipes need some new brackets?
I'd like to go with it for ma-deuce.
Thanx
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Diddly squatt on May 23, 2016, 16:18:40 PM
The lower pipe bolted to the original exhaust support for the muffler.  For the upper pipe, I made a simple support from a strip of 3/8" aluminum. Very easy to do.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: mittico68 on May 24, 2016, 05:23:07 AM
Thanks a lot for your infos.
Now I think I'm gonna buy 2 of this pipe and see if I can make a set for ma-deuce: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262433804232?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: Trall on May 24, 2016, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: drifter2001 on April 23, 2016, 15:25:48 PM
Here is a picture of my bike now

Drifter 2001.  Sweet ride.  I like that you kept your Factory tank and fender decals.  They compliment the bike so well especially the factory tank decal flows perfect with the lines on the Indian war bonnet decal like they were made for each other.  I had my fenders painted but could not convince myself to have the painter touch the tank decals or paint on the tank and kept my factory tank decal because it was designed so well and better then anything I seen aftermarket that flows so nice with those gorgeous war bonnets.

Is yours a Zambini?
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: drifter2001 on June 03, 2016, 00:25:24 AM
rpoturica I finally got a set of American Classic II's!!!! I went through Hell Riser Customs and Bill talked to the owner of Hard Krome and they put these pipes back into production for a limited time and I got a set. I took off my factory pipes and installed the hard krome all by myself as my husband was working. I have a bike show this Saturday 6/4/16 and wanted the new pipes on so tacked it myself... They look great and sound awesome. So happy I got them.
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: rpoturica on June 03, 2016, 07:00:04 AM
Awesome! Got mine on as well. I love 'em!
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: mittico68 on July 23, 2016, 11:01:37 AM
Quote from: Diddly squatt on May 23, 2016, 16:18:40 PM
The lower pipe bolted to the original exhaust support for the muffler.  For the upper pipe, I made a simple support from a strip of 3/8" aluminum. Very easy to do.
I'd like to know if those pipes have required some adaptation, to make them slip onto the existing tubes.
As I've posted here before, I'd really like to add this pipe to ma-deuce (link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361447051068?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and the ad says it's got a 1.75" inlet: but the existing tubes are 1.15" dia.
So now I dunno if this mod is doable...
Title: Re: New Pipes
Post by: RockinRollin on July 28, 2016, 10:30:34 AM
Nice bike, good colour combination and leather, kind of like mine.