Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: Diddly squatt on December 23, 2015, 23:12:40 PM

Title: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: Diddly squatt on December 23, 2015, 23:12:40 PM
After looking at old post and seeing the benefits of adding Seafoam to the gas I was wondering if anyone has used it in the engine oil. The container says it  is recommended for motorcycles, but I know with a wet clutch, we are suppose to be careful what we put in the crankcase.  I would appreciate your comments. Mike
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: CDNRatMan on December 23, 2015, 23:16:15 PM
 ;) I did it the first oil change I did on my bike I added 2 glugs to the oil and went for a drive to get it in an around everything. Then did it at the end of the first summer again. But it was only in there for like 5 kms and then drained. Never noticed anything wrong with the bike since, but not sure if it needs to be in there for a long time.
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: greenbarn on December 24, 2015, 18:12:51 PM
Diddly, I think a lot of us have used it in the crankcase.  Like RM said, I wouldn't want to ride a long ways with it in there (it thins the oil), but shouldn't hurt anything to put a can in and ride around the block to clean things out.
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: Diddly squatt on December 24, 2015, 21:23:46 PM
I bought a bottle and will use it to clean some of the sludge before I change oil & filter. I appreciate your comments. Mike
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: Diddly squatt on December 25, 2015, 20:54:17 PM
I added Seafoam to Diddly Squatt's crankcase according to label (1oz per qt.). After about 15 minutes, I noticed the engine noise was a lot quitter and the shifting was a lot smoother. The bike is a 2005 model with only 7500 miles on it and according to PO; mostly highway miles.  I also add to the gas tank
(1oz per gallon) but had not observed any noticeable improvement yet.  My primary purpose was to stabilize the gas for the long winter's rest. Mike
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: pcarrell on December 26, 2015, 00:10:21 AM
In the fuel I usually overdose it a little and after 2 or 3 tanks I notice better throttle response and better fuel milage.
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: CDNRatMan on December 26, 2015, 00:18:25 AM
  I was told it was ok but not to do it a lot. once every few tanks was enough, otherwise it could be harmful.
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: LarryInSeattle on December 26, 2015, 00:29:23 AM
A dash on your cheerios works better than Viagra.   
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: pcarrell on December 26, 2015, 08:31:22 AM
I've never had any issues with using it.
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: 49Reo on December 27, 2015, 22:49:12 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on December 26, 2015, 08:31:22 AM
I've never had any issues with using it.
...in your bike, or on your Cheerios.....
Title: Re: Seafoam in Crankcase
Post by: pcarrell on December 28, 2015, 11:07:42 AM
Yes!