Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: 49Reo on September 10, 2009, 12:56:51 PM

Title: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: 49Reo on September 10, 2009, 12:56:51 PM
Hello all; I put wide whitewalls on my 1500 Drifter this year, they look really good, however, they are starting to discolor; I haven't had too much luck getting that nice white look to them. Any ideas on what to use?
:-\
P.S. Great forum; many good tips and topics and great ideas here; keep up the good work!!! :)
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: chief on September 10, 2009, 13:53:05 PM
A stiff (not too stiff) brush and soap and water helps. Be careful what you use on them, they will yellow. Auto parts stores have white wall cleaners which work reasonably well. There are a couple of products people use a lot, but I can't think of the names at the moment.

I use my pressure washer, but you really have to be careful - it will cut the tire.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: pcarrell on September 10, 2009, 14:49:16 PM
Westleys Bleach White is the magic bullet!  I get it at the dollar store.  I spray it on, then I use a soft long bristled broom (I'm too old to crawl around on the ground ya know!) and lightly scrub the tire, hit it with the hose and it's good as new!  BTW, the Drifter is what I call a 3 roller.  It takes 3 rolls to get the tires clean.  The stuff leaves no residue, so no slippery tires or anything.

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northhantstyres.com%2Fimages%2Findex%2FBleach%2520white%2520.jpg&hash=65eff6627c62ad535973cdf28c653badbb4a4dfb)
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: aclone on September 10, 2009, 14:58:39 PM
Brillo or S.O.S pad works great.  I also don't like crawling around  on the ground. So I have my kids do it !
Mark
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: chief on September 10, 2009, 17:45:26 PM
Yeah, that's the stuff I was trying to think of... the bleache white stuff...
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: 49Reo on September 10, 2009, 17:48:47 PM
Hey, great, thanks for all the input!
Regfards, 49Reo ;D
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: Keithva99 on October 28, 2009, 13:47:19 PM
I use Barkeeper's Friend, it's the gold container next to the Ajax and Comet, sells for under $5.  It's the only general cleanser that specifically recommends using to clean whitewalls. 
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: annieoakley on October 28, 2009, 14:36:44 PM
never thought of that one! I usually have that under the kitchen sink anyway! I will give that a try next time.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: Vuldrifter on November 08, 2009, 18:41:51 PM
I spray Simple Green full strength, let it sit for a few, use a dish clearning sponage and wash off. Works great, no yellowing and anything. You got to do it every 250 to 300 miles.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: 49Reo on November 10, 2009, 11:55:34 AM
Again, thx for all the input and good ideas. I got down on my prayer bones with a bucket of carwash soap mixed with hot water and a soft scrub brush, a little bit of elbow grease, and the result was nice white whitewalls again.
Regards, 49Reo ;D
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: TripWire on October 16, 2010, 21:36:39 PM
I found it hard to get at the back tire to clean it so today i broke down and did it the easy way.

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4111%2F5088021370_288b079dda_b.jpg&hash=f570b81e6e6ab3064c82b48e1c7fc21e20474d27)

The previous owner really didn't clean the rear tire much so she was in need of some TLC. Westleys Bleach White seems to work great for me.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: pcarrell on October 16, 2010, 22:44:53 PM
Thats the easy way?

Too much work for me!
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: DC on October 16, 2012, 11:05:21 AM
Anyone else use a different cleaning product or have any other thoughts on the best way to clean them?  I have some Barkeeper's Friend.  Never thought of using that. 

I read another post about rolling the bike in 3 foot increments for 20 feet to get them cleaned.  I think the jack idea is probably pretty good.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: pcarrell on October 16, 2012, 11:22:14 AM
When cleaning, you can roll the bike forward (or back) to get to the next section to clean.  If you do it right you can do all the way around the tires on both sides in maybe 10 minutes tops (with my broom and hose).  I do it in about 3/4 the width of my two car wide driveway, so like, maybe 13 feet, give or take.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: CDNRatMan on October 16, 2012, 11:27:20 AM
 ;) lol Mr. Clean Magic eraser works wonders, con my neighbours 3 year old grandson into helping me and then take him for an ice cream.........child labour......now if I was married I know who would be doing the cleaning.......
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: pcarrell on October 16, 2012, 11:30:47 AM
YOU!!!   ;D
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: CDNRatMan on October 16, 2012, 13:51:33 PM
 ;) but of course because I know what I want.....lol....and it is my ride.

and we all know who is the boss at your house, and you get the last word in every disscussion in the house

Yes Dear;   or

of course Dear.
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: 49Reo on October 16, 2012, 13:54:34 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 16, 2012, 11:27:20 AM
;) lol Mr. Clean Magic eraser works wonders, con my neighbours 3 year old grandson into helping me and then take him for an ice cream.........child labour......now if I was married I know who would be doing the cleaning.......
Yeah, so do we: YOU!!LOL

Regars and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: 49Reo on October 16, 2012, 13:57:28 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 16, 2012, 13:51:33 PM
;) but of course because I know what I want.....lol....and it is my ride.

and we all know who is the boss at your house, and you get the last word in every disscussion in the house

Yes Dear;   or

of course Dear.
Hey, pal, watch it!!  :o I'm the boss in MY house; I can go for a beer with the boys any time I want to: I just have to phone home to find out if I want to or not!!! ;D

Regards and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: jmbo on October 17, 2012, 08:33:06 AM
X3 on Westleys Bleach White!!
Title: Re: Cleaning Whitewall tires
Post by: David Baker on November 14, 2012, 22:09:26 PM
I'm with RatMan, I use Mr Clean Magic Erasers, Every so often I also use "Bio Cleaner" an all natural clay paste, Apply with the provided sponge and rinse with a hose or wet cloth, You can also use it on the rims, Cuts through the dreaded brake dust. I don't recommend any type of Brillo or Steel Wool product, They leave small scratches that dirt and such get into making it harder to clean as time goes by.