Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: Cricket on May 16, 2015, 13:37:31 PM

Title: Choke
Post by: Cricket on May 16, 2015, 13:37:31 PM
I am new to riding this motor cycle. It's a 2003 drifter 800.How long do u run your choke out? The reason I'm asking is I was having issues with popping backfiring and missing. We changed the plugs and put new air filter on it. I cranked it and let it sit in driveway with choke out for bout 2 mins. I took off on it and it did the same thing. I got to the end of the road and it died. So I pulled the choke back out and took off bout 3 miles up the road and it was fine then I pushed the choke back in for the ride back home and it did fine. Apparently they are very sensitive about the choke. I was just wondering about everyone else.
Title: Re: Choke
Post by: Troll on May 16, 2015, 14:21:01 PM
IN the dark ages, before the EPA and various other fools started meddling with emissions, the choke was almost an option. I warmer climates, it actually was. What you are describing is a lean condition forced by the laws governing exhaust. Not really uncommon, unless you rejet the carb. It would then not meet emission specs, but it would run better. Let it run for a bit and ride off with it on. Don't forget to push it in when the engine is warm, or you will flood the thing. DO NOT USE IT when restarting a warm engine. Every bike is a little different, so there is no hard and fast rule. Once it's hot, then you don't need it at all.
Title: Re: Choke
Post by: Cricket on May 16, 2015, 15:48:28 PM
Ty troll I appreciate it.. I'm learning with this bike..
Title: Re: Choke
Post by: CDNRatMan on May 16, 2015, 16:05:21 PM
   ok same thing depends on were you live. So going to venture you use the F scale, so here when I am starting in the morning and it is below 65*F and that is almost every morning I use the choke to start the bike, I start the bike, full choke, once it is running I put my helmet on and gloves on, then get on the bike move the choke in to the fist indent, then ride to the corner, stop at the sign and move the choke in the rest of the way. In the afternoon I seldom use the choke unless it is cool outside.