Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: RaiderBill on April 27, 2015, 17:52:24 PM

Title: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 27, 2015, 17:52:24 PM
So I am new here, because I am searching for info on 1500 Drifters. I am considering trading up from my 2000 Honda Shadow 750 ACE to a 1999 Drifter 1500 with 44k miles, asking price is $2600 dollars, it has saddle bags, a windshield and fringe everywhere.
Is there anything specific I should ask or look for when talking to the salesman or test riding this bike? Is there anything special about maintaining these bikes, expense or difficulty in finding parts? has anyone ever put anything like a trunk or tour pack on one of these?
Any help would be appreciated, even if it's not something I have asked here, especially if I haven't asked and am missing something.
I posted in the guest section earlier but couldn't figure out how to reply to questions asked there so here I am now a registered member
How many miles can one expect from these bikes?
I am going to look at this bike tomorrow morning.
so far I like what I am seeing in this forum and what I am reading about these bikes
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 27, 2015, 17:56:38 PM
Welcome

  Buy it.....

ok I'll let the 1500 owners guide you from here on......
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on April 27, 2015, 21:50:05 PM
Welcom, RaiderBill.  The ACE is a nice bike.  A guy I work with had one, a 2000 I believe.  He sold it to my oldest son, and ended up buying a 1100 ACE tourer....

On "your" Drifter:
+1 on the "buy it"  that's a great price - if it's in good condition.

How many miles?   Troll needs to step in here, but I think he's pushing a million... or maybe it's 100,000.

Achiles heals:
neck bearings tend to go bad- check out how smooth the bars turn.  You'll feel it in turns for sure.
clutch - there's an inherent problem with clutch slippage.  There are several "fixes" you'll find on this forum and other Vulcan forums.  If yours has a problem, it will slip in higher gears with hard accelleration.

Both of these problems are minor/cheap if you do your own work.  I'd guess "moderate" would describe the cost if you had a dealer do it. 

Parts that fit other Vulcans are abundant.  Stuff that is unique to the Drifter (seats, fenders, etc.)  are harder to find.  Be prepared to find used stuff (if you need anything) or make it...
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 27, 2015, 21:59:26 PM
Thanks Green barn, I will takes notes with me, and include those points. I love the look of these bikes but I like to tour and hope I can make the Drifter accommodate that.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Elmo Hayride on April 28, 2015, 00:39:26 AM
Welcome RaiderBill.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 28, 2015, 06:08:37 AM
hello Elmo, howudoin? How do U like your Drifter?
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Reveen on April 28, 2015, 07:57:36 AM
I've had my drifter for a year now and the only gripe I have is the whole seat situation. There are only a few "bolt on"  seat options unless you plan on doing a little bit of modifications. That being said, the mod to switch from the two-up seat to a solo seat from a Vulcan Nomad is so simple, even I managed to do it with practically no idea what I was doing. The best part is, I can go from solo seat and no bags to dual seat and bags in less than 5 min (if the wife is wanting to ride with me).

Other than that I haven't come across any other Drifter-specific problems. Be aware, people will always want to talk to you about your bike, and you will definitely turn a lot of heads. I can't even count how many random people have struck up conversation about my Drifter in the past year (it's a good thing!)
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 28, 2015, 09:21:32 AM
Most of the "issues" have been covered already, so I'll just pile on with a welcome.  It sounds like a great price on the new scoot.  I have about 60,000 miles on my "Nadine", and I've only had to do the clutch spring (pretty easy afternoon in the garage), and now the neck bearings, and regular mainetence.  The one question I didn't see addressed was the tour pack question.  I made some custom brackets with basic hand power tools one Saturday and was, within a couple of hours of work, able to mount and old Harley Shovelhead tour pack.  You could actually mount any box you like.  I just got a good deal on this one and thought it looked pretty good.  I added a custom backrest to it for comfort.  Now I just need to do some hard bags and a fairing and I'm full touring!  He's some pic links for you.

First is a vid to show a couple of angles of the tour pack: (https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi83.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj319%2Fpcarrell%2Fth_MVI_2972.mp4&hash=2a7350048181ea9635cf591d1420d99fa085b0a0) (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/MVI_2972.mp4)

Here's a page that shows the brackets.  Some of the pics are of the box hanging on the garage wall, so turn your head: http://s83.photobucket.com/user/pcarrell/library/Drifter/Tour%20Pack?sort=3&page=1
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 28, 2015, 10:09:52 AM
Thanx guys, I may buy the Drifter just to be a part of this website, lol. Thanx pc, thats exactly what I want outta my bike, nice tourer set-up. Went down to look at it today, it's raining here in Daytona and is supposed to rain thru tomorrow, but got to hear the bike start. It has V&H pipes on it, longshots I believe, sounded great once it got started, had a little trouble idling till it got warmed up, but warmed up in about 2 mins and then she idled fine, but raining to hard to get a test ride in, talked to my mechanic and he said Thurs would be a good day to put it on the dyno and check it out. So now I am waiting with great anticipation until then.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 28, 2015, 14:13:51 PM
Those V&H Longshots are nice.  If you get some minor backfiring on deceleration and between gears, don't worry.  There's a quick cheap fix for that called "marbling".  I had to do it on mine.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 28, 2015, 14:17:26 PM
Drifter1500, a member of this forum, also has a touring setup.  It's a pretty sweet rig!

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/gallery/2/1-210314113426-2807606.jpeg)
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 28, 2015, 14:20:03 PM
You should check out the gallery for more ideas: http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;sa=userlist
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 28, 2015, 14:44:05 PM
Thanx pc, yeah thats the touring look I like, looks like me and my mechanic, Tony gonna check it on Thurs.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 29, 2015, 03:32:11 AM
Where is the best place on line to look for parts for this bike? Specifically I need the lens/cover for the rear license plate light and such parts as those
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Troll on April 29, 2015, 07:45:25 AM
stuff like that is easy to find. The tail lamp assy is a normal Vulcan part. Dealer or eBay
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 29, 2015, 08:07:17 AM
Troll is right.  A lot of parts can be had from regular sources, because many parts are normal Vulcan parts, often from the Kawasaki Classic F.I..  Many of us also have our favorite online place to get new parts.  One I've used many times and been happy with is Ron Ayers ( http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp?srt=mfg ).  Pricing is good, shipping is reasonable and fast, and so far they've had every part I've ordered in stock.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 29, 2015, 11:08:04 AM
 Check with GreenBarn he has a huge box of parts.......
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: 49Reo on April 29, 2015, 15:18:50 PM
Welcome aboard, Raider. This is a great site, lots of good intel here. But I feel it is only fair to warn you: this bunch of characters are HOGS for pictures; they will hound you no end to post pics. Other than that, this is a great group to be a part of.

Oh did I mention that WE LIKE PICS ?????   ;D ;D
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 29, 2015, 15:50:53 PM
Ok, 49, lol. I went to test ride the bike today, they wouldn't let me. they say they have a company policy against people test riding used bikes. strike one. the bike has a choke and they say it's carbed, I thought these bikes were all FI, strike 2. I talked them down to a selling price of $2499, but with my trade in and their fees and taxes I would have to pay $2859. out the door, huh? exactly. $600 in mechanical safety inspection fees, and there is a broken tail light and missing license plate lens, and 399 dealer fee, plus tax, title and tax comes to $1400 and only $1000 for my trade, strike three. doesn't look like I will buying this Drifter. They said they did give a 10 min. 10 mile warranty on the bike, if I bought it I would have 10 mins or 10 miles to return it and cancel the deal, lol.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on April 29, 2015, 16:22:43 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 29, 2015, 11:08:04 AM
Check with GreenBarn he has a huge box of parts.......

Hey, I've got one of those for sale......

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=89

Problem is, it comes with the entire tail light assy, which you may not need....

The lense is about $46 at Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=389829&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=2003&fveh=8989


I have used Ron Ayers quite a bit....   But I have found sometimes other places might have stuff cheaper.  It's kind weird- part "A" might be cheaper at vendor "X", but part "B" might be cheaper at vendor "Y"....
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 29, 2015, 17:16:40 PM
Quote from: RaiderBill on April 29, 2015, 15:50:53 PM
Ok, 49, lol. I went to test ride the bike today, they wouldn't let me. they say they have a company policy against people test riding used bikes. strike one. the bike has a choke and they say it's carbed, I thought these bikes were all FI, strike 2.

All of the 1500's are fuel injected, and the 800's are carbed.  The 1500 does have what looks and functions like a choke.  It's really a fast idle for warming up the engine.

QuoteI talked them down to a selling price of $2499, but with my trade in and their fees and taxes I would have to pay $2859. out the door, huh? exactly. $600 in mechanical safety inspection fees, and there is a broken tail light and missing license plate lens, and 399 dealer fee, plus tax, title and tax comes to $1400 and only $1000 for my trade, strike three. doesn't look like I will buying this Drifter. They said they did give a 10 min. 10 mile warranty on the bike, if I bought it I would have 10 mins or 10 miles to return it and cancel the deal, lol.

That doesn't sound like it was that great of a deal after all.  Too bad!  Maybe you could still find a Drifter if that's what you want.  One occasionally comes up in our for sale section and Craigslist and Ebay are always options.  Cast your net wide and surf the web.  I found mine in Chicago, and I live in Indianapolis, so I was a couple of hours out.

There are several that are close to you, though prices look to be a bit more that the one you were looking at.  http://daytona.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=Drifter
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on April 29, 2015, 17:21:00 PM
Quote from: RaiderBill on April 29, 2015, 15:50:53 PM
I talked them down to a selling price of $2499, but with my trade in and their fees and taxes I would have to pay $2859. out the door, huh? exactly. $600 in mechanical safety inspection fees, and there is a broken tail light and missing license plate lens, and 399 dealer fee, plus tax, title and tax comes to $1400 and only $1000 for my trade, strike three.

They said they did give a 10 min. 10 mile warranty on the bike, if I bought it I would have 10 mins or 10 miles to return it and cancel the deal, lol.

Sounds like you don't want to deal with this place anyway.  I wouldn't want to.  Final cost ABOVE asking price ..... AFTER TRADE IN?    rip-off...
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 29, 2015, 18:06:15 PM
I think your right Greenbarn, I'll keep looking, I do like these bikes tho.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 29, 2015, 22:19:26 PM
The right one will come along........
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: 49Reo on April 29, 2015, 23:29:52 PM
Well Raider, sounds like a good deal to stay away from; too bad there are people like that. But, like the man said, there are others out there. Be aware, though; there are rip-off artists on Craigslist and KIJIJI too, but not all are crooked. I for one bought mine on Craigslist, it was 800 miles away from home, gave a small deposit($500.00) to hold it for a week, then trailered up(it was in January, -30) went down, took one look at it and listened to it run, and bought it. Never looked back. All Ive had to do to mine was regular maintenance, and a battery that tried to leave me afoot in Montana, plus tires. Keep an eye on our classifieds, there is usually something on there for sale. I'm hoping to be back on here and doing my duty a bit more now, so will be surfing and posting what I find.

Good luck in your treasure hunt, and keep us posted.

Regards,
49Reo
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 30, 2015, 00:00:07 AM
Kelly Blue Book lists this bike as a $3700 retail value, NADA has it at $2700, which should I believe? I got a call from them tonight and they offered $1900 out the door with my trade. Still don't like the no test ride policy ( strike one), but I understand the choke and it still being FI ( which was strike 2). Now if he has it $1300 under fair market value I can understand his low balling my trade,( which was strike 3),  hmmmmmmmmm, still mulling this one over.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Troll on April 30, 2015, 15:43:02 PM
The choke is actually a hand throttle. 99.9% of the time , you never use it.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 30, 2015, 18:11:48 PM
I have to use it every time I fire up Nadine for the first time that day.  After that she's good to go!
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Troll on April 30, 2015, 18:32:29 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on April 30, 2015, 18:11:48 PM
I have to use it every time I fire up Nadine for the first time that day.  After that she's good to go!
Do you have the idle solenoids removed? I use mine when I want to run it early in the spring, and the temps are still in the 20s...After the temps reach 40 or so, I don't use it at all. Maybe your idle speed is set too low. should be 950-1000..
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on April 30, 2015, 19:46:20 PM
I think my idle is a little low and my plugs are a little old, honestly.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Drifter1500 on April 30, 2015, 20:51:56 PM
These bikes are to rare and far between to go by any Bluebook  or any thing that would put a wholesale price on them.
You will pay what you feel the bike is worth to you.

A nice low mile, clean bike is going to run in the 5K to 7K range, with a custom bike bringing more money, but not a lot more.
They only built 6,000 worldwide. And they are getting harder to find in good shape. Most are parted out, because the parts are worth more than the bike, especially  the earlier 99-00 bikes.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 30, 2015, 21:30:04 PM
  There is a 1500 for sale on the Delphi forum
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 30, 2015, 21:46:31 PM
Good evening gentlemen, I understand the emotional aspect of owning one of these bikes and the rarity is one of the things that attracts me, having never ridden one. That being said working the #s is how I can justify trading in my shadow ,which I have done alotta work to, to my wife, lol.
What is the Delphi forum?
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on April 30, 2015, 21:53:44 PM
Delphi is another forum,
http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawasakidrifter

This one is better, of course.... 8)

Try this:  "honey, the Drifter is really STYLISH and COOL, and I can't think of ANYTHING more BEAUTIFUL than seeing you on the back of a GREAT LOOKING, NOSTALGIC Drifter...." 

If that doesn't work, try:    "PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSEEE??????"
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 30, 2015, 22:03:34 PM
LOL, Greeny, Nope thats how I got the shadow and all the stuff done to it, but if I can say that for a few bucks invested I could have a bike worth 6k, then we are moving in the right direction. But also dealing with the dealer it's a #s game we gotta play.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on April 30, 2015, 22:12:51 PM
Can't believe that the sales manager insisted that the bike was carbed because he thought that idle control was a choke.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 30, 2015, 22:39:36 PM
If you look at that 1500 it is in South Central Indiana so you can get PC to go and check it out for you, ask him nice don't mention my name what ever you do....then talk him into paying for it and delivering it to you.......

think dealing with your Missus is rough.........

GB not everyone is afraid of their wife like you are.....lol........she is such a sweetie.........she likes helping me out.....
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on May 01, 2015, 06:58:48 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 30, 2015, 22:39:36 PM


GB not everyone is afraid of their wife like you are.....lol........she is such a sweetie.........she likes helping me out.....

I'm not afraid of her.....  being the King of my castle, I do whatever I WANT to.   Now, sometimes I need to ASK her WHAT I want to do......
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: CDNRatMan on May 01, 2015, 08:16:24 AM
QuoteI'm not afraid of her.....  being the King of my castle, I do whatever I WANT to.   Now, sometimes I need to ASK her WHAT I want to do......

lol


I wonder if you and Shunter remember that I have your spouses e mail addresses......lol......
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on May 01, 2015, 10:16:23 AM
Quote from: Drifter1500 on April 30, 2015, 20:51:56 PM
They only built 6,000 worldwide.

According to Ma Kawi, there were 9000 of the 1500's and 9000 of the 800's made and spread throughout the world.  The only other info is the Canada got 600 of each model cc.  http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=18150.0
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on May 01, 2015, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: RaiderBill on April 30, 2015, 22:03:34 PM
LOL, Greeny, Nope thats how I got the shadow and all the stuff done to it, but if I can say that for a few bucks invested I could have a bike worth 6k, then we are moving in the right direction. But also dealing with the dealer it's a #s game we gotta play.

What you need is a multi-faceted approach. 

Firstly, a Drifter is a rare bike, a limited edition.  Prices appear to have bottomed out and will soon start climbing as the bike appreciates.  The elevator is now on the ground floor.  Parts can still be found with some digging, and parts prices are still pretty reasonable.

Secondly, when she buys a new dress, she also buys a new pair of shoes and a bag to enhance the new dress.  If she's really decking herself out, she might buy a necklace and earings as well. In the same way, you wish to show off your most precious jewel, her, in the best way possible.  Back when you bought your shadow, that was the best showcase you could reasonably afford, that you knew of, to show off your beautiful wife.  You've grown smarter and maybe a little more affluent, and as such, just like upgrading her wedding ring after 20 years (and doing that now might sweeten the pot), you now want to upgrade "her" motorcycle.  Think of it this way.....you want to team up the two sexiest things you know of into one package, her and a Drifter.  ***Don't worry, because this part of your argument only has to make moderate sense if you've presented the suggested ring upgrade.  The ring will speak for you!***

Third, you'd like to take a little more time out of your schedule to spend with her, seeing the world.  A 750cc bike is a fine machine, but maybe a bit small for a grand touring adventure.  As such, after a long days ride on the highway, fighting the wind currents and pot holes and such, fatigue will set in and you won't be able to fully enjoy the evening of dinner and dancing with her.  A larger bike fixes all of that!  You don't get blown around on the highway, and so dinner and dancing is now an option.

Lastly, beg!

Just be sure that you never let her know that the price of the bike is merely the downpayment on all of the optional extra's that you'll want to add to it.  This is true of all bikes though, even your current one.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on May 01, 2015, 12:03:19 PM
I will keep looking PC for the right drifter and I will use that approach when I find it, mostly I didn't like the no test ride policy that dealer had, and the deal he was offering, so today I will be picking up this bike, a 1983 gold wing with 18k miles, not pictured is the fairing and tour pack including the hard bags.
price $1500.00 including tax, title and tag.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Drifter1500 on May 01, 2015, 12:09:09 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on May 01, 2015, 10:16:23 AM
According to Ma Kawi, there were 9000 of the 1500's and 9000 of the 800's made and spread throughout the world.  The only other info is the Canada got 600 of each model cc.  http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=18150.0

Maybe I have the number wrong, but none the less they are still quite rare. and the price seems to be on the up swing with them due to limited production and the price of the Polaris Indian so high.
Buy now while you can still get your hands on one, I would bet that half of them made are parts on another bike.
I love my Drifter, and I can not go anywhere with out a long conversation about how nice a bike it is.

Just got to add.... the headlight on the new Indian is BUTT UGLY....
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on May 01, 2015, 15:32:27 PM
Quote from: RaiderBill on May 01, 2015, 12:03:19 PM.....so today I will be picking up this bike, a 1983 gold wing with 18k miles, not pictured is the fairing and tour pack including the hard bags.
price $1500.00 including tax, title and tag.


Pretty sweet!  That's the 1200cc model, huh?  I know the 1100's are hard to find some motor parts for.  Are the 1200's better?
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on May 01, 2015, 17:01:01 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on May 01, 2015, 15:32:27 PM
Pretty sweet!  That's the 1200cc model, huh?  I know the 1100's are hard to find some motor parts for.  Are the 1200's better?
No pc it's the 1100 cc 1983 Interstate, Thanx all, now the bad news, front fork seals leaked on the way home, bottomed out. The brakes are the linked system, when you step on the back brake 1 front disc works in coordination with the back, when you pull the front brake lever the other front disc works, back brake works fine, front does not. Will need tires soon. Tony, my mechanic, says carbs may need syncing, other than that it was a good 8.5 mile ride home.We'll see what other gremlins turn up
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: RaiderBill on May 02, 2015, 18:46:53 PM
this is what I got for my money, forks are lookin low since my mini air compressor decided not to work today, but for now I gotta figure how to get this tour pack and saddle bags install, not shown is the fairing that also came with it
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: greenbarn on May 02, 2015, 21:12:32 PM
Sounds like you have a "project" bike there , Bill... BTW the pics didn't come through.  Didn't anybody tell you,     WE LIKE PICS.....  ;D
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: pcarrell on May 03, 2015, 07:31:30 AM
Pic's came through for me.
Title: Re: NEW GUY
Post by: Troll on May 03, 2015, 07:40:02 AM
looks like a good start on a cafe' project....there used to be kits around to eliminate the linked brakes and restore correct control...wonder where you can find some rear sets...