Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: Matchu116 on February 21, 2015, 04:09:57 AM

Title: ignition switch
Post by: Matchu116 on February 21, 2015, 04:09:57 AM
Hi I am having problems with my 800. Every now and then when I turn the key it doesn'tmake contact or if it does make contact the bike won't start. I can get it to start and run fine without issue most days but if moisture is in the air it really gives me a problem. I pulled the switch off and noticed the plastic back plate is cracked does anyone know where I can get one or have one I can buy and switch it out.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: kw-retrorider on February 21, 2015, 05:09:04 AM
Should be able to buy a new one at a dealer or parts house, but here's a used one with matching gas cap on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Kawasaki-VN-Vulcan-Drifter-800-Lock-Set-Ignition-Cap-And-Key-/381034420161?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b76bd7c1&vxp=mtr

Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: greenbarn on February 21, 2015, 08:29:34 AM
Looks like the cap on the back is NOT available separately as an OEM part:
http://www.ronayers.com/Ignition-SwitchLocksReflectors-C383924.aspx

Ron Ayers wants $105 for a new ignition switch. 

Maybe try cleaning the one you have with electrical contact cleaner real good, then let it dry, and then seal the crack with silicone sealer.  This might keep the moisture out enough that you won't have to replace it for a long time.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: John Hopkins on February 21, 2015, 11:30:36 AM
Those prices seem ridiculous compared to this.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/kawasaki/vn800/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=electrical&filters%5Bfitting%5D=universal&filters%5Bpage%5D=2

John.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: greenbarn on February 21, 2015, 12:36:48 PM
Thanks for that, John...  Lots of goodies on there.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: CDNRatMan on February 21, 2015, 14:10:43 PM
I took mine off for a look see today...... Last winter I had mine off and took it apart and gave it a really nice cleaning, and was interested in the amount of "crud" that had gotten in there, amazing, so I looked again at mine and I think like GB said it should be easy enough to take it apart clean it really well dry everything, and the while it is apart to seal the crack and make it water or moisture proof the whole thing.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: darkdrifter on March 09, 2015, 14:10:08 PM
I still have my ignition switch I removed when I made my tank switch.
I'd be more than happy to send it to you for shipping if it's something you need.  mine will never go back on.
Title: Re: ignition switch
Post by: Matchu116 on March 16, 2015, 02:40:48 AM
Thank you very much. That could work perfectly. What would shipping be to Millville nj 08332 @darkdrifter (http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3011)