As some of you know, I'm part of the "insiders" at Microsoft. I am running an evaluation copy of Win 10 right now. I beta tested 7, and 8, and now I'm running 10. This is what 8 should have been, then most people wouldn't have hated it so much. Stable, fast, easy to navigate, and no surprises, or stupid "metro" interface. A real start menu, and so far, compatibility with all my stuff. I've been doing everything I normally do with it and not a hint of a glitch.. This is what probably would have passed for final code a few years ago. I didn't have to install any separate drivers, and it even set up my Canon wireless all in 1 during installation. I really haven't had to tweak much...just icon size and desktop theme, so far. I realize most of you don't even think about the OS as more than a means to an end, but this one is going to be a great one...and it comes with enough built in utilities to make most tasks easy right from the beginning!
I already decided I'm skipping Win 8. One look at it, and that's all it took to decide.
Good to hear the next one out is going to actually be an improvement.
So.... What happened to "9"??
Good question. I'm thinking that 8.1, which was actually a whole operating system by itself that they were able to replace 8 with, was actually 9...but what does it matter.....as long as it works!
I used to be a hardware specialist back in the seventies but now I am almost completely ignorant of technology, in my day a zero voltage switch in a chip was the latest thing, now you have windows 10..I had to wait 10 years for dos...
So my question is..I have noticed that with each new version of windows the recommended memory goes up..and often the hardware has to be upgraded or replaced in order to run..
What will I need to run win 10?
John.
I'm running a 4 core AMD Phenom @ 2.9 Ghz, an nVidia GS250 video card with 1 Gb of onboard g-ram, 8 Gb of DDR3 1600 ram...same setup I've been running since 2009. I installed the Win 10 eval edition on an external SATA hard drive I had laying around, so it wouldn't mess up my mature Win 7 setup...I thought it was decently fast with Win 7, but it's even quicker with 10....I'm going to install it on an extra hdd in my laptop, next...According to MS, you need a minimum of a 1GHZ 32 or 64 bit processor and 2 Gb of ram, and a wddm cert video chip...
My desktop is running Windows XP, (don't laugh, I like it) my laptop started out as "Vista"....now THAT was a bad experience! I upgraded it to 7, like it much better. I still have one copy of 7 left, I really should install it on my desk top; then I would only have to remember one system.....for someone who made a living with computers before retiring 4 years ago, it is amazing how fast you fall out of touch.
Great, I can't wait to get rid of 8.1 from my laptop. It's a freaking disaster.
Quote from: 49Reo on November 15, 2014, 23:38:01 PM
for someone who made a living with computers before retiring 4 years ago, it is amazing how fast you fall out of touch.
Imagine how it is for me..I was the top person in my field in New Zealand in the 70's then I moved back to Britain in the 80's and retired in 1994..
My 47 year old son used to think I was a genius when he was a kid...now I need help just setting up a mobile phone..
John.
There a few tweaks that can be done to 8.1 to make it more livable, so not to despair. CNET has information on that, and if you google 8.1, you'll probably find more information than you wanted...You will need some patience, however, I don't think they are planning to release this until 2016.....or at the earliest, fall of 2015..
Quote from: Troll on November 16, 2014, 09:40:58 AM
There a few tweaks that can be done to 8.1 to make it more livable, so not to despair. CNET has information on that, and if you google 8.1, you'll probably find more information than you wanted...You will need some patience, however, I don't think they are planning to release this until 2016.....or at the earliest, fall of 2015..
I went and added Hibernate mode to it a while back. Weird why that was disabled.
They make hibernate mode available for laptops/tablets by default, and not for desktops....I just got the new build, 9860 over night. Looks like it completely replaced what I had. Some new eye candy features showed up...
Quote from: 49Reo on November 15, 2014, 23:38:01 PM
My desktop is running Windows XP, (don't laugh, I like it) my laptop started out as "Vista"....now THAT was a bad experience! I upgraded it to 7, like it much better. I still have one copy of 7 left, I really should install it on my desk top; then I would only have to remember one system.....for someone who made a living with computers before retiring 4 years ago, it is amazing how fast you fall out of touch.
My laptop also runs Vista - hate it - The last one had XP, but it died....
Hey Troll, you have any good copies of Win7 you can sell?? As an upgrade to Vista, or fresh copy?
Quote from: greenbarn on November 17, 2014, 21:05:49 PM
My laptop also runs Vista - hate it - The last one had XP, but it died....
Hey Troll, you have any good copies of Win7 you can sell?? As an upgrade to Vista, or fresh copy?
All copies of Windows, since XP have to be activated, and the hardware they are activated on is locked to that DVD license code at the Microsoft server level. Newegg has 32 and 64 bit retail versions of Win 7 for $99.99....I just ordered one for an upgrade.
When I updated my laptop to Windows 7, it came with 2 licenses; but I like XP, so still haven't upgraded my desktop.....never do today what can be put off .......lol Not even sure the license would still be valid since I bought it 2 years ago
I actually like 8.1 other than it's a little quirky with Chrome. Does 10 run any better with Chrome?
So far, everything works in 10 like it did in 7, and even some stuff I had from XP works the same way...I've been throwing every piece of software at it that I have, and the only thing that wouldn't work is an image stitching program from Win 3.1
Here's a screen capture of the desk top and the new start menu
nice background. I like that it has a start menu. I never like the interface for windows 8 although I can see how it would be nice for people who really use a laptop for basic purposes. Trying to do anything more and it seemed very clunky and time consuming. That could partly be due to my inexperience with it, but it was enough of a pain it became no longer a viable option as an OS for me.
That's a Win 7 theme I made for myself. Works in 10 just fine. You save it for "sharing" and put it somewhere you can easily find it, like on a flash drive. I'm running 10 in a dual boot configuration, but on a separate HDD so it doesn't mess with any of the 7 files. If you "upgrade" to 8.1 through the Win. Store (it's free) you can set the os to default to the desktop and then set up a partial start menu that sort of looks and works like that in 7 or Vista....They found of that MANY people didn't want their computers to look and work like a telephone, and that was the way they "fixed" it...Seems like they learned their lesson, so far, anyway
Quote from: moosewing3 on November 18, 2014, 20:28:31 PM
I actually like 8.1 other than it's a little quirky with Chrome. Does 10 run any better with Chrome?
I've used every windows since 3.0. I don't mind 8.1, its certainly crashes less than previous versions, but there are some things I dislike. They made getting to the guts of the OS difficult. I find it really strange they'd saddle a PC with a tablet OS, which is what 8.0 was and 8.1 still is. I think MS decided not to listen to their customers... sorta like the government. And, its burned them. Too many people sticking with 7.
I'm looking forward to a good OS again. I almost bought an... APPLE... I started with a TI 99/4a... then an Apple IIc.
You are right about not listening, at least to the "normal" people who use their products...they took too much stock in the opinions of those "Millennials" who have their "smatrphones" virtually as an implant. This is a true cautionary tale: One of my grandchildren stopped by to talk to Grandma, during the week. She was at work, so I told him to call her, and pointed to my normal desk phone with the buttons....He couldn't figure out how to use it...now I hear they are not teaching kids how to read a clock face in school anymore, or cursive handwriting!!!!!!!
Quote from: Troll on November 20, 2014, 13:25:48 PM
One of my grandchildren stopped by to talk to Grandma, during the week. She was at work, so I told him to call her, and pointed to my normal desk phone with the buttons....He couldn't figure out how to use it...now I hear they are not teaching kids how to read a clock face in school anymore, or cursive handwriting!!!!!!!
I think we are going to lose a generation or two before we start to learn that basic education and mental arithmetic is important..unfortunately the Chinese are soaking it up like sponges and will soon leave us behind..The worst thing about it is that the one or two generations of our badly educated children will be the teachers of tomorrow..
John.
The farther we get from the education all of us "old" people got in school, the worse it gets. I'm afraid I have to agree about the way things are going. The "third world" is doing what we should be doing, and we are becoming them...a role reversal that will take many generations to correct, if we even can correct it...
Quote from: Troll on November 20, 2014, 13:25:48 PM
You are right about not listening, at least to the "normal" people who use their products...they took too much stock in the opinions of those "Millennials" who have their "smatrphones" virtually as an implant. This is a true cautionary tale: One of my grandchildren stopped by to talk to Grandma, during the week. She was at work, so I told him to call her, and pointed to my normal desk phone with the buttons....He couldn't figure out how to use it...now I hear they are not teaching kids how to read a clock face in school anymore, or cursive handwriting!!!!!!!
I don't know about the u.s., but up here correct spelling is not required anymore in schools; "phonetics" is the new rave. Plus, thats what spell-check is for....
Phonics has been around since ...ahhh... me! I was in a class of the first kids to be exposed to it. But it was for reading, not for spelling! I learned how to sound out words, find root words and get an understanding of what the word meant. But we still had to spell the word properly.
I'm an engineer and a business owner. I have had to "write" and read reports for most of my life. In a technical report or business letter, spelling and grammar has a real impact. Maybe its just me, but I gauge the professionalism of the "reporter" by his/her written grammar and spelling. Those are different from informal writings like this... but we should know how to do both.
Have you paid attention to the phrasing and sentence structures of 19th century writers (professional and domestic)? They took time and paid attention to their communications. We have email!
Being ignorant and lazy is a sure path to slavery.
Quote from: chief on November 21, 2014, 12:15:27 PM
Phonics has been around since ...ahhh... me! I was in a class of the first kids to be exposed to it. But it was for reading, not for spelling! I learned how to sound out words, find root words and get an understanding of what the word meant. But we still had to spell the word properly.
I'm an engineer and a business owner. I have had to "write" and read reports for most of my life. In a technical report or business letter, spelling and grammar has a real impact. Maybe its just me, but I gauge the professionalism of the "reporter" by his/her written grammar and spelling. Those are different from informal writings like this... but we should know how to do both.
Have you paid attention to the phrasing and sentence structures of 19th century writers (professional and domestic)? They took time and paid attention to their communications. We have email!
Being ignorant and lazy is a sure path to slavery.
I too have been writing reports most of my working life. Nothing would irritate me more than seeing reports others had written that my children could have done better. Funny; I too judged the professionalism of others by their spelling and grammar.
Many years ago, I took a math upgrade course, as I found I was running in to more and more complexities in my job. The instructor at the college I was attending in the evening; she would put equations up for us to use. I had bought an expensive calculator, but was not using it. She questioned me as to why, saying I was free to use it. I told her I wanted to know how to do the math without a calculator first. When she asked why, I asked her how much good her course would do me if my calculator quit a hundred miles in the bush. She could not understand....
And so...we return to the question: Which way is clockwise?
Quote from: 49Reo on November 21, 2014, 14:33:03 PM
I too have been writing reports most of my working life. Nothing would irritate me more than seeing reports others had written that my children could have done better. Funny; I too judged the professionalism of others by their spelling and grammar.
I have had similar experiences. I worked a good part of my corporate life a quality engineer, the later as a validation engineer and validation manager. Wrote, reviewed, and approved many reports and policies. I was continually appalled at how poorly some people wrote - educated, degreed engineers, some of which had trouble making complete sentences. It's getting worse by the year, I'm sure. I've tried to instill this in my kids: how you communicate reflects how you are perceived by others. Now, fixing cars, all I have to worry about is spelling "spark plug"... :o
Quote from: 49Reo on November 21, 2014, 14:33:03 PM
... The instructor at the college ...... She could not understand....
The epitome of "book smart but sidewalk stupid" .... This is why college educators have the stereotype of having no industry-related common sense. Isn't this why they say "those that can do, those that can't teach"...
Quote from: Troll on November 21, 2014, 15:39:56 PM
And so...we return to the question: Which way is clockwise?
That depends on which side of the clock you're standing on, doesn't it?? :o Reminds me of SO MANY car drivers, that think the right (or left) side of the car depends on whether or not you're sitting in the driver's seat!?!? ??? ::) "my right front tire is leaking" "This right front tire?" "No, the other right tire, the one on the right when I come out to the garage"
Been there, done that... I just can't understand how people get that ass-backwards all the time...your left arm doesn't change sides in the mirror, does it?
exactly....
But, sometimes I think these same people just might very well look at you and point to your right arm and refer it as your "left" because it's on "their" left...
I think part of the problem is that society and humanism has engrained it into everyone that they are the center of the universe, and everything is viewed from their perspective. Same type of view point as the one that calls with "my car has been broke for a couple weeks, but I need to drive out of town tomorrow, so can you [drop everything you're doing and] get it in to fix it today?"
I especially LOVE this one:
"can I get an oil change today"
--- "we're really scheduled full the rest of the day so is there any way it can wait until tomorrow?"
"I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a 1000 mile trip, and really need it changed TODAY"
--- "well if you leave it here the rest of the day, I'll try to work it in between other jobs, and get it done by quitting time"
"OK. Oh, and while you have it up in the air, can you rotate the tires, and fix the exhaust, and check the brakes, and there is a loud rattle in the front, and when I stop at a stop sign, it wants to die. Oh, the check engine light is on, too - can you fix that? How much will that cost by the way???"
geesh
Hell of an oil change....cost you about $!,000.000
Quote from: Troll on November 21, 2014, 15:39:56 PM
And so...we return to the question: Which way is clockwise?
It's the opposite of widdershins.
John.
it is all perception are you left or right handed? It is just so simple......
Hmmmmm... Perception Vs. Reality.....lemme think, a minute.....I'll take reality for $100, Alex!
Quote from: Troll on November 20, 2014, 09:21:17 AM
That's a Win 7 theme I made for myself. Works in 10 just fine. You save it for "sharing" and put it somewhere you can easily find it, like on a flash drive. I'm running 10 in a dual boot configuration, but on a separate HDD so it doesn't mess with any of the 7 files. If you "upgrade" to 8.1 through the Win. Store (it's free) you can set the os to default to the desktop and then set up a partial start menu that sort of looks and works like that in 7 or Vista....They found of that MANY people didn't want their computers to look and work like a telephone, and that was the way they "fixed" it...Seems like they learned their lesson, so far, anyway
I have 8.1 on my laptop. I have to figure out how to do that setup and get rid of the full screen of tiles.
Check out this link to cnet's how to pages for win 8.1. Not a perfect fix, but it's a lot more livable with a default to the desk top rather than the start screen.
http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-8-1/
http://www.zdnet.com/the-metro-haters-guide-to-the-windows-8-1-preview-7000018398/
Quote from: Troll on November 25, 2014, 15:56:36 PM
Check out this link to cnet's how to pages for win 8.1. Not a perfect fix, but it's a lot more livable with a default to the desk top rather than the start screen.
http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-8-1/
http://www.zdnet.com/the-metro-haters-guide-to-the-windows-8-1-preview-7000018398/
Thanks. I'll check those out.
Been working with 10 quite a bit. I really like it. here's a screen shot of a new version of snap that allows you to stack open windows in 4 different corners...
I am in the middle of an experiment with Win 7 that appears quite promising...I have 5 stacked open windows in quadrants and 7 file transfers going all at once, just like in Win 10 with snap....
I'm missing something here, isn't that the same as I can do on XP by clicking on the middle icon at the top right of my screen and resizing each page to fit and then dragging each page to a different part of the screen?
John.
Sort of....you're still running XP? That's a problem for security. The big thing is that the new design will do it automatically in 10, and you can do half of it automatically in 7....
Here's a link to the article exploring some of the new stuff. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/snap-a-truly-slick-feature-in-windows-10/?tag=nl.e064&s_cid=e064&ttag=e064&ftag=TREe331754
Quote from: Troll on December 07, 2014, 14:12:17 PM
Sort of....you're still running XP? That's a problem for security. The big thing is that the new design will do it automatically in 10, and you can do half of it automatically in 7....
Yes I still run XP..I am using it now on an old throw away computor that I haven't had time to take to the dump.. but I have win 8 'I think' on a newish laptop.. it seems to me that microsoft take one step forward and two steps back with each new issue...The old XP start up page without the apps was much easier to use... buy a new computor and you need new printer drivers.. little things that you shouldn't have to worry about..
I'm not really a conspiracy theorist but I wonder why each new issue seems to use more memory and of course take longer to load than the last meaning that you need a faster computor just to keep up..and I sometimes think that a lot of the new viruses may be introduced by a virus protection company..
I think part of the problem is lazyness on the part of the program writers.. If they want to produce a new program they take pre written segments and stitch them together, this cuts down the writing time but has great chunks of code that aren't needed and just left in and looped past..new newer the program the more old patches and so the more processing power needed..
Like this..
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/BlackRainV2204/css/index.css?rc3" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/BlackRainV2204/css/ie6.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/default/scripts/script.js?rc4"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/BlackRainV2204/scripts/theme.js?rc4"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
var smf_theme_url = "http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/BlackRainV2204";
var smf_default_theme_url = "http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/default";
var smf_images_url = "http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/Themes/BlackRainV2204/images";
var smf_scripturl = "http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php";
var smf_iso_case_folding = false;
var smf_charset = "ISO-8859-1";
var ajax_notification_text = "Loading...";
var ajax_notification_cancel_text = "Cancel";
// ]]></script>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<meta name="description" content="NOT Drifter Related" />
<title>NOT Drifter Related</title>
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?board=100.0" />
<link rel="help" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=help" />
<link rel="search" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?action=search" />
<link rel="contents" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Vulcan Drifter Riders - RSS" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml" />
<link rel="index" href="http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?board=100.0" />
John.
I haven't mentioned this for a while, but there have been some new interesting developments in the beta world. First off, ANYBODY who owns a legal copy of Win 7, 8 or 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free. They will tell you when it's available...probably around October. Second, capability and features have been added at a pretty quick pace. I took a shot of a dual monitor setup I'm running that allows 2 different resolutions (one monitor is a 23" lcd, one is a 19" h-d tv), and several virtual desktops running on each monitor...I really like how this works!