Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: 3Drifters on November 06, 2014, 19:13:38 PM

Title: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: 3Drifters on November 06, 2014, 19:13:38 PM
 Hello

I have a 2001 Drifter 800 and want to buy a crash bar, engine guard, spill bar, what ever you want to call it. Been looking on eBay and the only ones I find are over seas, the shipping is a lot! Does anyone know if one could make the 800 classic bar work or know what is different on the classic bar? I can't see paying almost $300 for one from over seas and they don't look right either, the tube stops at the top of the bar where the top mounting plate is welded to it, the tube is open at that point as well, just looks cheap!!!! I've had another 800 Drifter along with a 1500 Drifter in the past and bought bars for the two of them but Kawasaki still made the bikes so it wasn't a big deal to find them at that time.

   Thanks for any help on this!
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: CDNRatMan on November 06, 2014, 20:52:05 PM
 I bought one like this, think it is the one you are talking about. Bought mine from Guido at motorsloop on ebay, and shipping was only like $25.00. It was actually cheaper for me to order from Belgium and have it shipped to me the ordering from any place in the states. Not sure of your question however because I never looked close enough to see if a Classic would fit, and would depend on the mounting points. Oh as for those areas were the tube stopped I just filled the hollow with a plastic plug and some silicone to hold them in place and looks fine to me.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: gdrudd13 on November 07, 2014, 08:15:51 AM
I have the same one as ratman. I really like it. Mine came with plugs that I siliconed into the open tubes to hold them in place. Been on there for awhile and no issues with them. As for the look, you really can't see that part when it's on the bike anyways.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: 3Drifters on November 07, 2014, 08:16:52 AM
CDNRatMan, thanks for the info! Yes I'd emailed the same seller on eBay and asked about shipping, I think that's what he said it be about $ wise. I had thought of plugging the tube with something like you did, I know the open ends would let in water and needed to be sealed. I guess where the tube ends you really can't see it being up under the neck and all but I wasn't sure I'd like it. Funny thing is that I had bought one to install on the first 800 Drifter I had and it didn't have that brake at top. Same thing for the 1500 Drifter I had bought a spill bar, I think the bike looks better with one.
Here's my three, 01 Drifter, 04 VTX 1300C & 00 1500 Nomad

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi92.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl38%2FWeld01%2F100_1737.jpg&hash=43a569fdea746857e052530ecc4d383e98746c47)

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi92.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl38%2FWeld01%2F100_1736.jpg&hash=f329e6a5d6a9e583f67701b6cc16a8a1201a4387)
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: 3Drifters on November 07, 2014, 08:27:35 AM
Hello
  Thanks gdrudd13 for the reply, I guess that's the way I'll end up going, I was hoping that someone had used a classic spill bar with some luck and not much to make it work, you can find them for half the price, even new.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: CDNRatMan on November 07, 2014, 09:06:28 AM
   ;) if you could find a Classic bar close to you for a decent price you could see if it fits and you could let us know if it works.............lol.........
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: kw-retrorider on November 16, 2014, 15:49:57 PM
WANTED: Help from someone who has a fire and steel engine guard on their 800....

As some of you know, I installed a black "Guido" engine guard on my 800.

Well I recently came across a black fire and steel engine guard, so scooped it up. The fire and steel guard is a smaller diameter tube and of course is open along the bottom instead of across the top, like the guard from Guido.

As you also know, we all shared info on how to mount the horn on the Guido bar, which was simply drilling two holes and attaching it to the engine guard itself.

So the $99k question on the Fire and Steel Guard is...WHERE DO YOU MOUNT THE HORN?

Would appreciate anyone who can post a photo of their fire and steel set up with respect to the horn...Did the  guard come with another bracket specifically for the horn?

When you buy things used, you don't always get everything....but there is no place to re-mount the horn once the guard is installed. For right now, I have the horn black tie-wrapped to the top horizontal bar of the guard. Looks like I need to make a bracket. Any assist on what it should look like would be appreciated.

Comment on the fire and steel engine guard...comes up at a sharper angle at the bottom on each side; and the left side does not interfere with your shifting foot..it is well ahead of the floorboard. I have big feet and had get used to that on the Guido engine guard.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: kw-retrorider on November 17, 2014, 03:37:50 AM
Chief: Would have access to original installation instructions for the fire and steel engine guard for the 800?
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: chief on November 17, 2014, 10:03:41 AM
Sorry no installation sheet. As far as I can remember, there is an L shaped bracket on the horn and you simply attach that anywhere it fits!
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: kw-retrorider on November 18, 2014, 04:01:52 AM
Thanks Chief....if there is an "L" shaped bracket, then it came with the engine guard package as "associated hardware." Will fabricate something to suit.

Again, anyone with a photo of their fire and steel guard with horn....would be appreciated.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: chief on November 18, 2014, 12:25:42 PM
The 1500 comes with two horns on a bracket. Yours is a straight bracket, so I assume you will need to make a bracket for it.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: kw-retrorider on November 18, 2014, 16:11:12 PM
Right, it's a straight bracket. So here's the interim installation tie-wrapped to the F&S guard. The original horn installation is with the two bolt heads you see that the guard in now using.  So I will have to make a bracket. Thanks.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: gdrudd13 on November 18, 2014, 17:21:54 PM
You could always buy longer bolts and use/make spacers. That way a custom bracket isn't needed. You could either use a spacer on each bolt, or just drill two holes through a block of either aluminum or even dense plastic. I'm not looking at my bike, but it seems like there would be plenty of room.
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: 49Reo on November 18, 2014, 21:52:11 PM
Quote from: 3Drifters on November 07, 2014, 08:16:52 AM
CDNRatMan, thanks for the info! Yes I'd emailed the same seller on eBay and asked about shipping, I think that's what he said it be about $ wise. I had thought of plugging the tube with something like you did, I know the open ends would let in water and needed to be sealed. I guess where the tube ends you really can't see it being up under the neck and all but I wasn't sure I'd like it. Funny thing is that I had bought one to install on the first 800 Drifter I had and it didn't have that brake at top. Same thing for the 1500 Drifter I had bought a spill bar, I think the bike looks better with one.
Here's my three, 01 Drifter, 04 VTX 1300C & 00 1500 Nomad

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi92.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl38%2FWeld01%2F100_1737.jpg&hash=43a569fdea746857e052530ecc4d383e98746c47)

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi92.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl38%2FWeld01%2F100_1736.jpg&hash=f329e6a5d6a9e583f67701b6cc16a8a1201a4387)
Nice lineup. That one in the middle is kind of like a thorn between two roses......
Title: Re: 800 Drifter Crash Bar, Engine Guard, Spill Bar
Post by: kw-retrorider on November 19, 2014, 04:41:28 AM
gdrudd13: Good thoughts on spacers instead of a bracket. Just interesting that all the photos I can find of 800s with this guard forced most people to mount a new and different independent horn somewhere else instead of work with the existing wiring.
With temps in the 20s here in MD for the week of Artic Vortex, I don't envision any work in the garage. Know I can make something discreet, but thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone can show me what it should look like. (That was the magic of Drift-In...more Drifters to look at). For now, functional with tie-wraps holding a rubber washer in between, but a dedicated bracket or spacers are in the future. Thanks.