Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: Sparks500 on October 21, 2014, 16:22:05 PM

Title: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on October 21, 2014, 16:22:05 PM
Ok, I've got a 2003 that has had the recall done, and I'm a little unclear on what that means. Do I have to buy a special filter now? What, exactly, did they do to change it.

Thanks.

Brad.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: chief on October 21, 2014, 16:26:50 PM
Read this... info contained in it to help.

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/mc0404.html

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/oilfilters.html (http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/oilfilters.html)



Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on October 21, 2014, 20:02:05 PM
Is the dealer the only source for the replacement cartridges?
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: chief on October 22, 2014, 10:32:49 AM
if you get the filter part # you can order from any oem parts supplier. I don't have that part# - just the kit... so best bet is to go to the dealer and see what they have.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: greenbarn on October 22, 2014, 22:22:01 PM
I'll have to admit I'm still confused on all this.  Does the recall work put the bike back to using the normal spin-on filter??   

I have a 2003, and it uses the spin-on filter, I believe it's the same as all the other 1500s. 
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on October 23, 2014, 05:55:35 AM
No, it uses a cartridge type filter in a heavy duty case. The case looks a lot like a spin on filter with a nut on the end. Not all bikes needed the recall. Look behind your kickstand on the side of the engine and get the number. If it's between 121281 and 128445 you need the recall.

At least that's what I've come to understand. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the replacement cartridge.

It kinda sucks that I have three filters left from my roadstar that fit the drifter. I also have two cases of 20-50 Mobil 1 v-twin oil I possibly can't use.

Oh well, small price to pay for owning such a gorgeous bike........
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: greenbarn on October 23, 2014, 06:42:17 AM
So then it wasn't ALL '03's?  If that's the case, then mine must not have been included ....
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: chief on October 23, 2014, 09:15:44 AM
Look at the recall (link previously posted)... it gives the vin # impacted. The recall does NOT result in a spin off filter. It is a whole different deal. If you had one you'd know it.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on October 23, 2014, 16:13:12 PM
I would check your engine numbers to be sure. It would be really bad to have your oil filter blow off and dump engine oil right in front of the rear tire.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on October 30, 2014, 17:19:48 PM
called the biggest dealer in the area yesterday and asked him about replacement cartridges, and he had no idea what i was talking about. he put me on hold to ask someone in service about it, came back and said that he could order the whole kit for me at 17 dollars, but he hadn't ordered one in years. said everyone just went back to stock filters.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on November 08, 2014, 18:02:15 PM
Just an update. Part #99999-0032 is the replacement cartridge filter. Just ordered 2 off ebay at 9 bucks apiece.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on November 08, 2014, 18:17:03 PM
And, I'm a bit troubled: I just drained a bit over 4 quarts of oil out of this baby.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 08, 2014, 18:57:08 PM
that's a bit too much. Mine holds EXACTLY 3.4 QT. Measured it many times....I can get 3.5 in if I drain the oil at the pick up screen. 3.4 puts it exactly on the "high" mark in the window.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: pcarrell on November 08, 2014, 19:28:21 PM
I was going to say, I drain at the screen and 3.5 is topped off.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on November 08, 2014, 20:38:17 PM
This is my first oil change with this bike. I should have done this sooner. Although, the oil didn't look too bad, I just don't know how long it's been in there. Don't like over filling with oil, especially since this is a recall bike that may have excessive oil pressure.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 08, 2014, 21:28:31 PM
I don't know what it is with people and oil changes...i change 3x a year, or every 3,500 miles...I would, and did changes all the fluids on my bike as soon as I got it home.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: pcarrell on November 09, 2014, 07:52:06 AM
Quote from: Troll on November 08, 2014, 21:28:31 PMI would, and did changes all the fluids on my bike as soon as I got it home.

You found your bike in a barn and it'd had so little use over the years that it actually had moss growing on it.  I'll bet you changed all the fluids right away!
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 09, 2014, 09:10:25 AM
It's not just that it was sitting for so long that prompted me to change the fluids, it's the "unknown" quality of what was in there. When I bought my car last year, I did the same thing, even though there was an oil change sticker on the windshield that told me when the last changes was done, but not with what....Really, starting out on day one with a base line is really the only way to be sure of anything...and then there are those who change once a year...How can you do that to a machine? You need to change, at a minimum twice, no matter how little you ride. Leaving the oil from the Summer in over the winter just promotes internal deterioration of the engine....Which is cheaper? An oil change, even if it's $50, or a crankshaft? I'm expecting that my Drifter will have about 100,000 miles on it around Drift-In time. I would expect nothing less than total reliability from it and so far, it's not disappointed me. Preventative maintenance means I can go on a trip with confidence, not trepidation.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: pcarrell on November 09, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Oh, no disagreement from me!  Gotta do the fluids regularly.  Climate alone dictates the change, let alone mileage.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on November 09, 2014, 09:32:30 AM
Well, in all fairness, I did make a few assumptions. The bike is spotless, like the day it was first sold. The po is a fireman that was very meticulous, so I assumed the oil was kept up. And, it may be just fine, but, someone just added an extra 1/2 qt. on th last change.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 09, 2014, 09:44:11 AM
There's that funny word...assumed....again. Did you consider changing the coolant? How about the brake fluids? 99% of people "assume" brake fluid is a lifetime fill...After a lifetime as an auto tech, I can guarantee that the only time brake fluid gets changed is when there is a component failure. DOT 4 brake (and clutch) fluid will absorb moisture and deteriorate, even with the improvements in master cylinder sealing. The majority of "frozen" calipers where the pistons are the actual problem are due to water in the system. The calipers also deserve a once over, and the slider pins need to be lubed with silicone brake paste....nobody even THINKS of that until there is a problem. It's not total use, here, but age. Cables need to be lubed, final drive oil should be changed....steering neck bearings need to be repacked....Not trying to get in your face, but this is a finely crafted precision device, capable of many years of reliable service, but only if you do YOUR part...besides, working on you bike is a bonding experience!
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Sparks500 on November 10, 2014, 06:40:41 AM
I agree, completely. But, being an electrician, not a mechanic, I needed a clymers manual to guide me. It arrived last Wednesday and I'm getting started on all those things.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 10, 2014, 08:02:21 AM
Good luck. We will help you with any questions and could even supply some correct answers!...The things I outlined are not difficult, but are necessary...and often overlooked.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: kawasaki.addict on November 22, 2014, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: Troll on November 08, 2014, 21:28:31 PM
I don't know what it is with people and oil changes...i change 3x a year, or every 3,500 miles...I would, and did changes all the fluids on my bike as soon as I got it home.


I did/do the same bought my drifter bam new oil brake fluid antifreeze. Same on a car or truck i buy you just gotta be safe rather than sorry.  I am on 2nd oil chamge for having my bike 6 months i will likely put 15k miles a year on it and i have seem kawasakis take a 20k mile year without anything more needed than a tire change and regular fluid changes. My drifter will run for 100k then a she is getting a modded meanstreak motor an trans
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Snake on November 29, 2014, 12:12:16 PM
Hey Troll, I have a question for you. I asked a NAPA auto dealer if they carried a oil filter for a drifter and they did. Part Number 1358- price $4.74. Looks like the OEM filter, price-$12.25 at the the Kawasaki dealer. What do you think would be difference in filters?
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on November 29, 2014, 14:24:02 PM
I've been using the napa filters on both my Kaws for the last 60,000 miles (including both bikes in that) no problems that I can detect with either bike...I don't think that's the number I've been using...because that one is too long for the W . The chrome filter cover won't fit...
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Snake on November 29, 2014, 14:32:33 PM
Thanks Troll, I did use the NAPA filter when I changed oil for the winter.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: richaud on December 17, 2014, 13:09:44 PM
Hi y'all ...tried to get a grip on this with oilfilter. ....what part NO Do i need for my 1999 1500 drifter? Gonna give the gal a oil change so she can dit with some new oil in het over the winter. .
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: Troll on December 17, 2014, 13:44:20 PM
Factory Kaw filter for virtually everything. Same one fits my W-650....
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: pcarrell on December 17, 2014, 16:37:39 PM
Quote from: richaud on December 17, 2014, 13:09:44 PM
Hi y'all ...tried to get a grip on this with oilfilter. ....what part NO Do i need for my 1999 1500 drifter? Gonna give the gal a oil change so she can dit with some new oil in het over the winter. .

Does this help? 

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx?type=ps&year=1999&make=KAWASAKI&model=VN1500+Vulcan+Drifter&engine=1500

http://www.oilfiltersonline.com/PH6017A-Fram-Extra-Guard-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: chief on December 17, 2014, 20:08:37 PM
Quote from: richaud on December 17, 2014, 13:09:44 PM
Hi y'all ...tried to get a grip on this with oilfilter. ....what part NO Do i need for my 1999 1500 drifter? Gonna give the gal a oil change so she can dit with some new oil in het over the winter. .


http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/oilfilters.html (http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/oilfilters.html)


Just a reminder... click on the LINKS tab in the Nav bar... all sorts of info there on parts, accessories, etc.
Title: Re: Oil filter recall
Post by: richaud on December 17, 2014, 23:52:54 PM
Great!!! Thanks!!