So I have a quick question about covers. I'm looking to get a half cover for my 800. I have a tall windshield, and also a trunk of sorts with the 2 up seat. It's roughly the same size as the stock 2 up with a luggage rack and bag on the luggage rack. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not opposed to a full cover, but a half cover would seem to make more sense since it will avoid the hot exhaust. I'm wanting something for when it's parked outside at work to keep the seat cool, and because it's nice to keep everything out of the sun.
Thanks
Cover Central on Ebay sells covers that have heat shield areas sewn in to protect them from hot exhausts. I have one for my Drifter, and have ordered several over the years for friends (none in the last 4 years so don't know if they are still around) and everybody has been happy with them. They also store in a small Ditty bag so travel well; don't take up a lot of room. Just a thought....
Well, my Ebay skills were unable to find them, so they might not be around. Don't you still have to wait for the bike to cool before you put the cover on even with the heat shields? Or am I completely wrong in that regard?
Well, I ended up ordering a Nelson Rigg UV-2000 half cover in silver, size XL. I had to order brake pads anyways so I combined the two and got free shipping. It's made for full dress/touring bikes, so it should work with my windshield and rear trunk bag. That should keep stuff out of the elements and also hopefully keep the seat a little bit cooler. Should also double as a dust cover in the winter. I'll share how it is once I have it and can try it out.
DUST cover, you let the bike get dusty...........wow.......I just got FiberOP tv installed in the house and going to get a TV for the living room, and so Trolls vids will be really clear and be more fun to ride to over the long winter days.......
Well unfortunately not all of us have living rooms that could double as a garage or fast food drive through. I'm not sure the wife would appreciate tire tracks on the carpet either. Although had I not gotten married I'm sure the house I bought would have been a large shop/warehouse with part of it sectioned off as living quarters instead of a normal house like I have now. Then it probably would be riding videos and making engine noises...
So I got the cover in and got to try it a few times. For the sun it works well, no chance to see about rain, but it is supposed to be waterproof. Might be able to comment on that tonight as there is a chance of rain today according to one weather report, and of course no chance if you look at another place. Back to the cover... The XL size fits well. It'll cover the top of the saddlebags, completely cover the seat, rear trunk, tank, windshield, handlebars. I just tuck it under the headlights and spotlights up front and the cover stays in place really well. Plus it's fairly inexpensive. I don't know if it comes in other colors, but I got it in silver so it should also keep the seat from getting hot.
Well send here and I can test it in the rain, 11 days of all rain or part days of rain will see how good it really is......oh and pictures?
I know I'm late to the conversation.. but.
The full cover I use has panels at the base to allow you to cover the complete bike without melting the cover on the pipes. I've used it for several years. When we are traveling I cover the bike every night and I use in the garage to keep it a little cleaner. I have a dust cover for one bike, and this is used on the other. Whenever we travel overnight I take this one to protect the bike. It packs down nicely, as well. I don't recall the brand - I'll check and see if I can find that.
I prefer a full cover, personally.
If I were storing it outside I'd probably get a full cover. I mainly just got this one to keep stuff from getting killed by the sun and also to keep stuff like the seat cool. when it's 100° outside and the sun is shining on a black seat, it gets kind of toasty on the buns lol. Along the same lines, having to sit on a wet seat from rain earlier in the day is also not fun. For what I wanted it for, the half cover works, but the full covers are probably superior in every way except for the folded size and price.
I can take pictures later. As a side note we got rain here too. 3" a couple nights ago. I don't purposely ride in the rain though so I didn't test the cover.
My bikes live in a temp controlled garage... BUT!!! few motels have such conveniences when we are traveling. <g>
most 800's will fit through a normal door with a bit of twisting and moving from side to side....and can be accomplished alone and quietly.
Quote from: CDNRatMan on September 03, 2014, 14:54:06 PM
most 800's will fit through a normal door with a bit of twisting and moving from side to side....and can be accomplished alone and quietly.
this made me laugh. I'd still have issues with stairs going into the house though.
I have a ramp to make it up the 3 steps into the house.......now I am at the stage of life I need help getting in the house up them three steps....
Well here is a picture of it. It covers most everything that needs the most protection from the sun. The wind kept poofing it up so this is the best shot I could get of it today. Stays on just fine in 25 mph winds in case anyone is curious. Not a very impressive number, but it's the best test it's gotten so far.
That would work on a trip to keep it dry and to keep it protected from the worse things that can happen and the seat cool and dry .......might have to look for one of them.....
If I have to leave it out and its gonna rain, I usually put something else over the seat, plastic bag etc and then put the cover on. These covers leak and the water resistance usually wears out over time.
Quote from: chief on September 03, 2014, 23:05:23 PMThese covers leak and the water resistance usually wears out over time.
What about using some of that waterproofing spray that they use on camping equipment, like tent's and stuff? You could spray the cover down real good and then wax the seams.
Well, about a week ago the bike got rained on at work. It wasn't raining when I left but the part of the bike that was covered was nice and dry. Had to dry out the cover, but my butt was dry so the cover did it's job.