Hi guys,my front fork bottoms really easy,and i was wandering how much i can "overfill" to make it a bit stiffer? Right now its 292mm as by the book.
Measured the springs,and they are well within speccs.So this idea of adding some more oil is just a Quick fix (if it works) im going to put in some progressive springs when the riding season is over. And is there a way to drain the forks from oil,without disassemble the forks?
Quote from: BC on July 27, 2014, 17:33:35 PM
Hi guys,my front fork bottoms really easy,and i was wandering how much i can "overfill" to make it a bit stiffer? Right now its 292mm as by the book.
Measured the springs,and they are well within speccs.So this idea of adding some more oil is just a Quick fix (if it works) im going to put in some progressive springs when the riding season is over. And is there a way to drain the forks from oil,without disassemble the forks?
Over filling will lead to blown fork seals! not a good idea. try a heavier oil.
No drains. You will have to take them out of the yoke and pop the tops, invert them in a coffee can and wait...
Couple of threads for you to read.
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=27140.0
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=24531.msg50667#msg50667
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=17344.msg29322#msg29322
hope these help.
Tecumseh is right! A heavier oil is the way to go here!
Thanks everybody! Nice links there and good info!
I will try a higher grade oil,will 15w or even 20w be enough for my purpose you think?
I had issues with really "soft" front forks, I could bottom them out under normal riding and on hard corners it would bounce. I took GreenBarn's advice and went with progressive front fork springs for the 1500. I then used the recommended type and amount of front fork oil and it made a huge difference, and the ride is now really smooth.
Thanks CDNRatman for the info!
Anybody has the correct length (in mm,im Swedish ;o) of the spacers in the fork? Mine seems to be much shorter than som spacers-pics ive just saw.Maybe som previous owner had the bike lowered that way.
hope this has the info you need..
Great,thank you very much! Im gonna measure the spacer mount high as soon as i have the time.
The spacer was the right lenght.Changed fork oil last sunday,couldnt get hold of anything else but 10w.But ithe oilchange did the job,the fork is not bottoming now! The old oil looked like it been there since 2001,, ;o)
I put progressive Wirth springs in my fork with 15 W oil, as they recommend, but I think the result is to stiff. Never bottoming, though...