Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: Boaski on April 15, 2014, 21:00:51 PM

Title: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: Boaski on April 15, 2014, 21:00:51 PM
I noticed that the speedo cable seemed a little noisy this weekend. What do you guys use to lube your speedo cables?
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 16, 2014, 07:18:11 AM
  I use Marine grease, added some at both ends and then at the top added a bit more and pushed it down.
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 16, 2014, 17:45:55 PM
I haven't greased mine yet - next time it's apart, though.
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: Troll on April 16, 2014, 18:14:57 PM
Lubing a speedo cable..Take it off, take it apart. Some Japanese cables cannot be disassembled...Subaru and Suzuki are pretty well known for that. CLEAN the cable AND the housing, inside, WD-40 is ok for this. Use either speedo cable lube (yes, there really is something for this job) or white lithium grease (lubriplate). Don't lube the last couple of inches of the cable at the speedo end...you don't want grease to migrate up the cable into the speedo head.....Check for rubber seals or "O" rings on the cable ends, and the condition of the housing itself. If you can see the steel housing wire, then water can get in...and no KINKS...
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: Boaski on April 16, 2014, 20:18:45 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a project for this weekend. The front crash bar is right in the way of where the cable should go so I wonder if that may increase the need for lube.

So, Greenbarn; when are we going to have a North-Central Ohio mini Drift-in? Won't be long & we'll be ready to ride!
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 17, 2014, 19:56:49 PM
Quote from: Boaski on April 16, 2014, 20:18:45 PM


So, Greenbarn; when are we going to have a North-Central Ohio mini Drift-in? Won't be long & we'll be ready to ride!

I was actually thinking it would be nice to do that.  I didn't get it done last year, but thought I'd like to get a group together this summer sometime.  My personal preference would be to wait until about June.   
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 17, 2014, 20:15:29 PM
  You figure that all that snow will be gone and it will be warm enough for you by June?
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 17, 2014, 20:18:32 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 17, 2014, 20:15:29 PM
  You figure that all that snow will be gone and it will be warm enough for you by June?

That, and I'm hoping to have the 1500 on the road by then.... ;D
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 17, 2014, 20:20:18 PM
with out the new paint job? Or have you finally decided on the colour now? Finally......
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 17, 2014, 20:26:20 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 17, 2014, 20:20:18 PM
with out the new paint job? Or have you finally decided on the colour now? Finally......
Not yet....   Now quit hijacking Boa's thread..... ;D
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 17, 2014, 20:29:44 PM
Sorry Boaski but I think it started here......

Quote

Posted by: Boaski
« on: 16 April 2014, 21:18:45 »
Insert Quote
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a project for this weekend. The front crash bar is right in the way of where the cable should go so I wonder if that may increase the need for lube.
So, Greenbarn; when are we going to have a North-Central Ohio mini Drift-in? Won't be long & we'll be ready to ride!
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: Boaski on April 18, 2014, 11:40:14 AM
The hijack is not a problem. I did throw out the "bait".

June should be good. Hopefully it will be warm by then.

Quote from: greenbarn on April 17, 2014, 20:18:32 PM
That, and I'm hoping to have the 1500 on the road by then.... ;D

I think I've missed something!


Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 18, 2014, 13:01:43 PM
 ;)  it's his birthday today and he got himself a 1500, so now he has both.......he and D1 decided that one was not enough......
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: pcarrell on April 18, 2014, 13:23:49 PM
Hey, if I could swing it, I'd pick up an 800!
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 18, 2014, 14:41:52 PM
  I would like to see you pick one up .......
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: pcarrell on April 18, 2014, 15:44:12 PM
My bank account is not so sure about that!
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 18, 2014, 16:08:25 PM
  if I had the money I would buy you an 800 and I would even throw in the LED lights for the speedo to bring us back on topic..........
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: pcarrell on April 18, 2014, 18:01:09 PM
;)
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 18, 2014, 18:30:31 PM
Quote from: Boaski on April 18, 2014, 11:40:14 AM

I think I've missed something!

I had been looking for a "great deal" on a 1500 for a while.  Wanted as many of the desirable "accessories" on it that I could find.  Then out of no where (he knew I was looking) Petemoss sent me and email that he wanted to buy a Vaquero and did I want to buy his bike.  Long story short, it had everything I wanted and the price was right.  This was the second Ohio VDR member who was buying a Vaquero and offered me their 1500, so I thought it must be a sign!! 

Got a few mods and a little maintenance I want to do before I get it out, so I'm still riding the 800. 
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: Boaski on April 18, 2014, 20:58:31 PM
Cool!

I've been in "old snowmobile" mode for a while and figured I'd missed the news.

I'll have to make sure one of my Sunday afternoon rides loops down your way so I can check out the new wheels.
Title: Re: Speedo Cable Noise
Post by: greenbarn on April 18, 2014, 22:17:11 PM
Absolutely!  Have to check out the new bike lift too.  It's almost done.