Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: greenbarn on September 22, 2013, 22:31:27 PM

Title: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 22, 2013, 22:31:27 PM
This may sound like sacrilege on the VDR forum, but does anyone know the differences in the Nomad and Classic vs. the Drifter?  Don't say "the fenders" - that's obvious.  The Nomad has hard bags.  There are SO MANY vulcan models.  I can look up the specs on wikipedia or something, but  more specifically, does anybody know the DISADVANTAGES of a Nomad or Classic vs a Drifter.

I had a thought this evening, that maybe I could find a Classic someday, or a Nomad, and put Drifter fenders on it, and otherwise style it Indian-style somewhat. 

Any reason not to go down that path???  Worked for Denny Berg.....
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: 49Reo on September 22, 2013, 23:12:16 PM
I too have been thinking of a Nomad, and putting an "Oldies" front Drifter fender on it. One difference between the Nomad and Drifter, though, is the Drifter has one front caliper and rotor; the Nomad has two.
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: DC on September 23, 2013, 06:54:03 AM
What would be the strategy or rationale for getting a Classic or Nomad, as opposed to a Drifter, and modding them.  Are they cheaper to begin with?

Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: 49Reo on September 23, 2013, 09:18:30 AM
Due to the configuration of the swingarm/fender mounting, and the Classic and Nomad having steel rear fenders, it is much easier to convert to a full touring model; tourpack, more seats available, etc. Plus, the Nomad having twin disc breaking on the front, provides much more stopping power when bike is configured for a full-on touring bike. Plus, I really like the look of the Nomad, and I think an Indian or Drifter style fender would look good on one; kind of "the best of both bikes".Also, the Nomad has a slightly larger engine displacement, more pipes available, and so on.

But, all that being said, "I ain't gettin' rid of my Drifter!!!" :D
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: pcarrell on September 23, 2013, 11:05:00 AM
The rear swing arm on the Drifter is unique, plus the rear fender on the Drifter mounts very differently from the other Vulcans.  A complete custom setup would be needed in the rear. 

The front forks of the Drifter are from the Classic, so that would be a fairly easy swap, but the Nomad fork will require more custom work.  An easier way to go if you start with a Nomad is to a NOS Gilroy Indian metal fender (J&P Cycles was selling them a while back for $99) and then fill the mounting holes, widen it, and drill new mounting holes.

Both the Nomad and the Classic have stronger charging systems then the Drifter, so for touring, including stereo's and charging ports for gadgets and such, you'd be better off.
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 12:25:26 PM
Quote from: 49Reo on September 22, 2013, 23:12:16 PM
I too have been thinking of a Nomad, and putting an "Oldies" front Drifter fender on it. One difference between the Nomad and Drifter, though, is the Drifter has one front caliper and rotor; the Nomad has two.
+1 for the Nomad.
Quote from: DC on September 23, 2013, 06:54:03 AM
What would be the strategy or rationale for getting a Classic or Nomad, as opposed to a Drifter, and modding them.  Are they cheaper to begin with?

What 49 said.  There do seem to be a lot more available, too, which means the possibilities of getting one cheaper is a lot better.  Plus I like to build stuff.  I get a lot of satisfaction from building it rather than buying it. 

Quote from: pcarrell on September 23, 2013, 11:05:00 AM
The rear swing arm on the Drifter is unique, plus the rear fender on the Drifter mounts very differently from the other Vulcans.  A complete custom setup would be needed in the rear. 

The front forks of the Drifter are from the Classic, so that would be a fairly easy swap, but the Nomad fork will require more custom work.  An easier way to go if you start with a Nomad is to a NOS Gilroy Indian metal fender (J&P Cycles was selling them a while back for $99) and then fill the mounting holes, widen it, and drill new mounting holes.

Both the Nomad and the Classic have stronger charging systems then the Drifter, so for touring, including stereo's and charging ports for gadgets and such, you'd be better off.

Thanks for those tips.  +1 more for the nomad/classic... 

It's just a thought I had, I'm still keeping my eyes open for the right Drifter, too.  I just thought if I was going to spend $X on a Drifter, and then customize it, paint it, etc., Maybe I could find a classic or nomad cheaper and end up with what I want in end just the same.
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: pcarrell on September 23, 2013, 15:39:06 PM
One more thing.....if you're going to use a 1500cc Classic to make the Drifter front fender basically a bolt on deal, make sure you get the Fuel Injected Classic, not the carb'ed one as the forks are different.
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 16:16:49 PM
That's a good point - I have seen several that were carbed, and figured if I'm buying a "new" bike, and can pick which one I want, might as well get a FI model.
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: Troll on September 23, 2013, 18:43:32 PM
Actually, the way to go might be a 1600 mean streak....adapting the front fender to the male slider fork would keep you occupied for a while......
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 19:47:41 PM
Quote from: Troll on September 23, 2013, 18:43:32 PM
Actually, the way to go might be a 1600 mean streak....adapting the front fender to the male slider fork would keep you occupied for a while......
I didn't know what you meant, so I did a google search for mean streak fenders....  Now I see what you mean.  That would take some thought...
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: Troll on September 23, 2013, 20:08:08 PM
Yeah, but think of the bragging rights you would have...or you could stick a meany engine in your 800...
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 20:15:52 PM
 
Quote from: Troll on September 23, 2013, 20:08:08 PM
Yeah, but think of the bragging rights you would have...or you could stick a meany engine in your 800...

;D lol
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 20:27:28 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on September 23, 2013, 11:05:00 AM

The front forks of the Drifter are from the Classic, so that would be a fairly easy swap, but the Nomad fork will require more custom work.  An easier way to go if you start with a Nomad is to a NOS Gilroy Indian metal fender (J&P Cycles was selling them a while back for $99) and then fill the mounting holes, widen it, and drill new mounting holes.

I can't find anything anywhere close to that price now.  Those are now 4-500 from where I could even find them.  JP just have sold them all and somebody bought all of them and raised the price....
Title: Re: Drifter vs. Classic vs. Nomad
Post by: pcarrell on September 25, 2013, 15:20:13 PM
Quote from: greenbarn on September 23, 2013, 20:27:28 PM
I can't find anything anywhere close to that price now.  Those are now 4-500 from where I could even find them.  JP just have sold them all and somebody bought all of them and raised the price....

I couldn't find them either, so you must be right. 

I did forget to mention the Oldy's fenders:

http://www.oldinc.com/oldysin.htm

http://www.badassglass.us/fenders/kawasakifrontfenders.html

http://www.badassglass.us/fenders/kawasakirearfenders.html