Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: moosewayne on September 18, 2013, 10:11:43 AM

Title: Tank Replacement
Post by: moosewayne on September 18, 2013, 10:11:43 AM
Hi Gang,
It's been a long time in coming, but I finally got a Drifter after many years.  I could have saved myself a ton of grief if I'd just bought my 2001 when it was new!!!  This is my first post.

I'm planning on turning my '01 1500 into my dream bike, so that means paint and trying to track down a Roadhouse 2-into-1. I'd like to keep all the original parts so I'm more than likely going to get some fiberglas fenders and a new tank.
Will an '01 Nomad or Classic tank fit on the Drifter?
Sorry for the newb question-it's been a long time since I've ridden a metric.
Hope all are well and safe.
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: DC on September 18, 2013, 10:45:09 AM
Welcome to the Forum, moosewayne!  Any pics of your new ride?
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: chief on September 18, 2013, 10:49:02 AM
"Fit" vs "bolt on exchange"... ANYTHING can be made to fit if you have the skills. As far as I know neither nomad nor classic tanks are direct bolt on exchanges. And there are difference between FI and carb models as well.

You might want to have a look at schematics of these models to see what the differences are...
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: moosewayne on September 19, 2013, 09:18:47 AM
Yep, Thats what I was looking to find out.
Thanks very much!
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: 49Reo on September 19, 2013, 14:01:05 PM
Welcome aboard! Remember, the picture hounds will be on you like a rat on a cheeto, so save yourself some grief, and post some pics.... ;D
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 19, 2013, 17:19:21 PM
Quotelike a rat on a cheeto,

   Mr. 49 FYI I have never mounted a cheeto and have no plans of this activity so please be nice......
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: aralph on September 19, 2013, 17:33:07 PM
Hey ratman, if you ever change your mind, just remember these guys like pics...
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: 49Reo on September 19, 2013, 20:45:40 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on September 19, 2013, 17:19:21 PM
   Mr. 49 FYI I have never mounted a cheeto and have no plans of this activity so please be nice......

.....the guilty flee where none persueth......
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 19, 2013, 21:16:36 PM
 false accusations are hard to live with, Mr. Mountain Man.....
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: Troll on September 20, 2013, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: moosewayne on September 18, 2013, 10:11:43 AM
Hi Gang,
It's been a long time in coming, but I finally got a Drifter after many years.  I could have saved myself a ton of grief if I'd just bought my 2001 when it was new!!!  This is my first post.

I'm planning on turning my '01 1500 into my dream bike, so that means paint and trying to track down a Roadhouse 2-into-1. I'd like to keep all the original parts so I'm more than likely going to get some fiberglas fenders and a new tank.
Will an '01 Nomad or Classic tank fit on the Drifter?
Sorry for the newb question-it's been a long time since I've ridden a metric.
Hope all are well and safe.
If you go to someplace like ronayres, partszilla, or bike bandit, they will have schematics of the fuel system. From what I can see, the fuel injected tanks are all the same, except for paint. If the mounts, fuel pump, etc. are the same, then the tank should be a bolt on.. Fenders are going to be another thing. There is a guy called oldies custom or something like that, who advertises on eBay. He makes fibreglass fenders for Drifters for a lot less than the factory stuff
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-DRIFTER-INDIAN-FRONT-FENDER-FIBERGLASS-/251298254571?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a828b0eeb&vxp=mtr
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: moosewayne on September 20, 2013, 10:33:43 AM
Great! Thanks very much for the tank info, and yes, my '01 is FI.
I've seen the fiberglas fenders on the 'Bay. I'm planning on speaking with them in the near future.

I'm pathetic, I know.  Pics will be coming.
Have a great weekend and ride safe!
Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: moosewayne on September 26, 2013, 10:40:43 AM
I stopped by the local Kawi dealer yesterday.
According to the parts guy, Drifter and the Classic are the same tank.
Anyone know different?

Title: Re: Tank Replacement
Post by: Mak on September 27, 2013, 07:20:26 AM
Troll is correct
Up to 2005 the VN 1500 range FI models tanks are interchangeable - putting colour and logos aside.
You can pick a tank up on ebay for little $$$
Mak