Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: Anti-hero on September 12, 2013, 22:16:57 PM

Title: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Anti-hero on September 12, 2013, 22:16:57 PM
Is it hard to remove the rear wheel? I have to change my tire but I don't know how...
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Troll on September 13, 2013, 08:05:31 AM
Jack the bike up so the rear wheel is just off the floor. Remove the rear fender...6 bolts, one phillips screw and a wiring connector.  Wait, here, look at this: http://www.gadgetjq.com/drifter_rear_tire_remove.htm
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Anti-hero on September 13, 2013, 16:02:26 PM
Another question is it safe if I use a 160 80 16 tire in the rear if the original size is 150 80 16?
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Troll on September 13, 2013, 16:14:59 PM
That's the size I had on mine when I bought it. I replaced it with another 160/80-16 Metzeler Me 880, ran that for another 15,000 miles and put on the correct size Michelin Commander II a little over 10,000 miles ago...
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Anti-hero on September 13, 2013, 16:50:41 PM
Did it make any difference?
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Troll on September 13, 2013, 18:42:43 PM
I suppose that's all relative. I do feel that the handling is more neutral with the smaller tire, and the speedo error had to be compensated for. With the 160 tire, the speed was closer to the correct reading, but I had to get a speedo healer when I switched to the stock size tire. I absolutely HATE an instrument that reads incorrectly. I would rather it didn't work at all than lie to me....
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Anti-hero on September 13, 2013, 19:11:06 PM
Yea my speedo stopped working so I jus go by the speed of traffic I hardly look at the speedo anyway haha... I know that's probably a bad habit hah...
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: Troll on September 13, 2013, 20:16:42 PM
Yours is a '99, so the speedo runs off the front wheel via cable. Mine is a 2001, and the speedo is electronic and runs off a sensor on the bevel drive housing. Changing the tire size would have no effect on yours, but it made a significant difference in mine.
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: aralph on September 14, 2013, 06:08:29 AM
Replaced mine back in April with these instructions from Troll.
I refuse to pay for work I can do myself.
No problems. Nice and easy. The hardest part was blocking the bike up.

aralph

Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: John Hopkins on September 14, 2013, 11:08:25 AM
Quote from: aralph on September 14, 2013, 06:08:29 AM
Replaced mine back in April with these instructions from Troll.
I refuse to pay for work I can do myself.
No problems. Nice and easy. The hardest part was blocking the bike up.

aralph

I have what we call a scaffold tower..I also have a workshop that is 46ft x 23ftx 14ft high so I can fit it all in for serious work, but you could do it in a yard..

I erect the tower around the bike and tie the frame to the scaffold, that way if I get tired and lean against the bike it doesn't move..There are probably loads of used scaffold towers for sale on ebay or CL for not much money and you only need two levels, or four sections.

John.
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: greenbarn on September 14, 2013, 17:36:47 PM
John, what do you use to lift the bike?  The scaffold is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.  If you had some straps and a couple come-alongs....    hmmmm   
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 14, 2013, 20:07:59 PM
 Scaffolding, come-alongs, electric winches, then the bike would sway and move.....fans Trolls CD and we would be in heaven all winter long
Title: Re: Rear wheel removal
Post by: greenbarn on September 14, 2013, 20:49:03 PM
now THATS an idea...