Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: CDNRatMan on August 31, 2013, 20:51:54 PM

Title: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 31, 2013, 20:51:54 PM
   So seen these on a few bikes and kind of like them, found them for like $60.00 for the set of them, in chrome and can have them powder coated if they are metal. So:
Are they metal?
Any reason that a set off a  2000 will not fit a 1999?
Any other problems or thoughts?

  Going to start my list this weekend, and start to figure what I am going to do over the winter. Have a part list in my mind but am going to put it into print so I can follow it.
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: draconarmy on August 31, 2013, 21:16:35 PM
UM what are they???
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: Troll on August 31, 2013, 21:24:15 PM
Those bumperettes are chrome, but the problem is your rear fender support doesn't have the necessary ears on it for the rubber mounts to go into....You will have to fab something to attach them. I believe I saw somebody posted how they did it with a 1500...just can't remember where I saw it..Can you powdercoat plastic???
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 31, 2013, 22:00:00 PM
  They are called fender stays

  Thanks Troll, I'll have to look at what is the difference. Also I remember someone mentioning that to, that they had to fab something.
Plastic can not be powder coated, because it is blasted and then charged to attract the coating. At least that is what I have been told. Oh well perhaps one less job this winter.
  ok after more looking and reading the rear bracket on a 1999 is part # 35011A = $139.00 on the first bike with the stays is a 2001 and the part # is 35063 = $176.00, so that is a project I'll pass on for now.....
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: Nanook on August 31, 2013, 23:20:42 PM
Well it seem we are following in the same step ratman! Was also planning on installing those there is a mod tip with all the info by chief he shows how to do it without the right bumper http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/bumpercover.html
He said they were like 18$ a piece, far from your quote, i'm interested to order a pair if you find them at a reasonable price let me know!

Rob
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 31, 2013, 23:56:41 PM
 no Rob the quote was the main bracket around the fender, the stays are like 15.00 if you order them from the right place.
check this place out.....

http://www.partzilla.com/

Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: greenbarn on September 01, 2013, 03:20:48 AM
Hey ratman, you could always just rattle-can them gloss black.  It's not like they'll rust, being plastic.   
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 01, 2013, 10:16:03 AM
  lots of options and lots of time, the caterpillars are wearing thick coats, and the beaver dams are being built high, meaning a long and cold winter and a lot of snow this year in areas not normally getting it.......
  So I have time to do this project if I go ahead with it, not an expensive one either......could be fun too.
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: 49Reo on September 01, 2013, 11:45:38 AM
Rattle can would work, but if it was mine, I would have a good paint shop paint them with Endura Hi- Gloss black. it is an epoxy paint, and wears like powdercoat.
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 01, 2013, 14:34:36 PM
QuoteI would have a good paint shop paint them with Endura Hi- Gloss black

  I have to check that out. Thanks.
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: greenbarn on September 01, 2013, 14:40:42 PM
Quote from: 49Reo on September 01, 2013, 11:45:38 AM
Rattle can would work, but if it was mine, I would have a good paint shop paint them with Endura Hi- Gloss black. it is an epoxy paint, and wears like powdercoat.

Where do you get the Endura?  I've never heard of it???   
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 01, 2013, 16:20:55 PM
  Well ordered the parts this afternoon, $29.00 for shipping to the Wild north.......and will go to the body shop at the bottom of the hill and talk to them about the paint ...if not I'll do it myself.

Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: greenbarn on September 01, 2013, 18:42:25 PM
Ya know, sunbeam red wouldn't look bad either...
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 01, 2013, 19:21:52 PM
  think black will be the right colour....lol.....
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: Pilgrim on September 20, 2013, 06:53:36 AM
I painted my turn signals with Krylon paint made for plastic, they make a primer for plastic also.
I scuffed them up good and used the primer, let it set overnight then painted with the gloss black.
They turned out pretty good...
Title: Re: Winter plans
Post by: CDNRatMan on September 20, 2013, 13:56:11 PM
  pay attention you jabber apes, Mr. Pilgrim at least he has some good info here....