Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 800 Only => Topic started by: Gerhardberger on August 22, 2013, 10:02:09 AM

Title: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Gerhardberger on August 22, 2013, 10:02:09 AM
I've just returned from my 45.000 service. My Garage is not using original Kawa oilfilter, but an aftermarket one. Curiously, there are two different filters. The first one for the 99-00 Drifter C, the second one for the newer Drifters.
The only differenve is that the first filer is 1cm longer than the second. Diameter is the same (obvious), but the filter is 1cm longer.
The garage has installed in my bike the second filter, although my bike is a C from 99.

Have you heard about this before? And should make them change the filter into the first one, or that ridiculous differenve in size will not affect me in any way. I change oil and oilfilter each 5000/6000kms...

Thanks in advance....
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Gerhardberger on August 22, 2013, 10:48:36 AM
This is the Oilfilter for the 99-00 Drifters

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF303

And this is the one for the newer Drifters

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF204

This last filter has been installed on my bike...
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: chief on August 22, 2013, 12:24:30 PM
Here is some info:

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/oilfilters.html

*1) K&N indicates 1999-2002 Drifter 800's should use KN-303 or 303C.
These are the same size/specs as the 204, excepting the relief valve pressure is 18.13psi vs 14.5psi on the 204 and KN-303 is 3.346in(85mm) in height, vs 2.953(75mm) on the KN-204.
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Gerhardberger on August 22, 2013, 12:34:54 PM
Interesting.... :)
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: 49Reo on August 22, 2013, 13:13:50 PM
Gerhardberger, that is a nice pic. I would love to tour your beautiful country. Is there anywhere to rent motorcycles there?

Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Gerhardberger on August 22, 2013, 13:20:10 PM
Sure you can. The pictures were from last weekend trip to Avila, the walled city. I posted all the pictures of that trip in the post of "images of the spanish drifter"...

Regarding the issue of the oilfilter: Having the wrong oilfilter is a critical issue,or just a minor issue? I mean: shall I force the garage to change it into the right filter of shall I leave it as it is ?
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: 49Reo on August 22, 2013, 14:19:34 PM
So who rents bikes; dealerships, or rental agencies there?
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Troll on August 22, 2013, 14:52:08 PM
If the only difference the the pressure relief valve, leave it alone. The valve will only open under 2 conditions: REALLY cold temps where the oil is so thick it raises the oil pressure to dangerous levels (I somehow doubt this could happen in Spain), or you don't change the oil filter for enough miles for it to plug up with debris...I don't think that's going to be a problem for you, either.
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: Gerhardberger on August 23, 2013, 05:50:12 AM
Quote from: 49Reo on August 22, 2013, 14:19:34 PM
So who rents bikes; dealerships, or rental agencies there?

Some examples:

http://www.spainmotorcycle.com/home.php?gclid=CPn37dixk7kCFQKWtAodZTgA1Q (in english)

http://www.guiamotera.com/otrosservicios/alquiler.php (in spanish)

Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: greenbarn on August 23, 2013, 11:57:10 AM
If it's just a quarter inch difference in length as well, I can't see what it would hurt
Title: Re: Two different Oilfilters for the 800 Drifters?
Post by: JLA on August 30, 2013, 07:04:01 AM
Hi Gerhardberger

I'm an engineer in charge of the industrial maintenance in a big company; here we have a lot of machines and other devices with oil lubrication, and a great heating system with oil; And in my own modest opinion the length of the filter is not relevant for the bike; the oil preasure will not be affected, perhaps only the capacity of the filter in order to retain dirty. But I'm sure the inside in your engine shines as stars; filter is only a security complement.

Dont worry  (and be happy)