Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 18:48:56 PM

Title: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 18:48:56 PM
So I noticed this on Saturday (likely that its been going longer than that), thought it was just my ears ringing, but there seems to be a constant beep emanating from my speedo cluster.  is this something to worry about, and what could it be.  like I said it sound just like a ringing in your ear after a concert or a day at the range maybe, barely perceptible
Title: Re: constant beep from speedo
Post by: Troll on August 19, 2013, 18:50:20 PM
Mechanical or electronic? pitch change with speed?
Title: Re: constant beep from speedo
Post by: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 18:55:33 PM
im gonna say its electronic as it is steady and constant.  no change with speed except it may get louder as I first noticed it at about 70 but not shure  it could just be that its the right pitch to cut through the sound of wind.
Title: Re: constant beep from speedo
Post by: Troll on August 19, 2013, 19:43:35 PM
Does it happen with the bike stationary? What year is the bike?
Title: Re: constant beep from speedo
Post by: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 20:04:19 PM
OK so in trying to make sure I was giving thorough and correct info I went out to the bike and did some poking around.  its not coming from the speedo its coming from the tank (fuel pump?) and their is no change when I rev the throttle it stays fairly consistant while stationary but is present.  it makes the same noise for about 2 seconds when I first turn the key, while I assume its priming the fuel lines
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: Troll on August 19, 2013, 20:15:11 PM
Ok, so what you're hearing is the electric fuel pump. My hearing is basically junk, so I can just hear mine whine when I power it on, but not after the engine is running. Don't worry, you won't be able to hear it when you get old.
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 20:56:27 PM
so just the joy of having been born 20 years after I should have then.... I guess I can deal with that...still wondering if im the youngest drifter owner?
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 19, 2013, 21:09:06 PM
  I think you and I are the youngest......on the forum.....
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: 49Reo on August 20, 2013, 00:25:21 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on August 19, 2013, 21:09:06 PM
  I think you and I are the youngest......on the forum.....
Who the heck are you trying to kid??? you're about 3 days older than dirt!!!! ;D
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: Petemoss on August 20, 2013, 01:07:29 AM
Quote from: draconarmy on August 19, 2013, 20:56:27 PM
...still wondering if im the youngest drifter owner?

I'm just glad there is someone younger than me here. And I ain't that young. Unless your 3 days older than dirt. Then I'm in my prime. Ha ha ha.
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: DC on August 20, 2013, 07:00:43 AM
Quote from: Troll on August 19, 2013, 20:15:11 PM
Ok, so what you're hearing is the electric fuel pump. My hearing is basically junk, so I can just hear mine whine when I power it on, but not after the engine is running. Don't worry, you won't be able to hear it when you get old.

Maybe a bearing in the fuel pump going?
Title: Re: constant beep from tank (fuel pump?)
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 20, 2013, 07:02:34 AM
  pete look under your name it said you were a Sr. member so it means you are old.......