Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: Troll on July 30, 2013, 13:21:45 PM

Title: Camera
Post by: Troll on July 30, 2013, 13:21:45 PM
   I was listening, not by choice, but by circumstance, to a few women at the Drift In back deck cook out. They were discussing various things, but the one thing that stuck in my head was what one said which fits ME to a "T". She said "I'm not needy...I'm wanty"! I have no idea what kind of cameras they are using on the Dragon to photograph the riders going by, but I want one! Here is a shot of my front wheel, captured by Killboy.com. They took pictures of everybody who rode the Dragon. I'm thinking I was probably going about 40 or so when they got this shot...I wonder what shutter speed they use. I bet you can't do that with your instamatic....
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: chief on July 31, 2013, 10:22:38 AM
They use professional class cameras and lenses... you might find a pic or two or some info on what they are using on their web site. Personally, I'm not spending that much on camera equipment... been there...
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: greenbarn on July 31, 2013, 19:16:46 PM
Troll, I was curious as well, so I just asked them. 

"We shoot mostly with Canon 7D cameras and Canon 70-200mm f4 lenses"


For only a mere $1500 you could have your own.   Well, then all you would need is a lense or two.....
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: Troll on July 31, 2013, 19:38:33 PM
Yeah, I poked around their FAQ section...I still want one, just can't find a way to finance it. I like my digitals, but I have so many lenses and stuff for my 35mm...a 50mm, a 100mm, 135/270mm and a 400mm with a 100mm objective...but I use my pocket Fuji more than anything else...Sounds like a cool job, but a lot more work than it would seem on the surface. Imagine photographing EVERY vehicle that comes by, no matter what speed...
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: greenbarn on July 31, 2013, 20:28:32 PM
I know what you mean...   The last 35mm I had was a Nikon N80, so a few years ago we were planning a trip to Yellowstone, and I knew I wanted to take a bunch of pics, so not wanting to take them on the point-n-shoot, I wanted to buy a "decent" digital, but I didn't want to spend a fortune.   SO, I found the digital that all my lenses would fit on - the Nikon D70.   I found one used on craigslist, I think I paid $300 (been a while, memory could be wrong).   Anyways, it's worked flawlessly and I figured I saved a bunch on film and processing for the trip. 

Like you said, though, the camera I use the most often is the point-n-shoot-  the one on my phone. 

I was thinking the same thing on having to shoot all those bikes.  I forget, but if you look at the pics posted on their website, aren't there about 10-30 pics per second?  That's a lot of button-pushing. 
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: CDNRatMan on July 31, 2013, 20:36:20 PM
  just hold the button down it keeps shooting .....
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: greenbarn on July 31, 2013, 21:15:02 PM
yea, but that still looks like a lot of work trying to capture every bike that comes by, every second or two....
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: CDNRatMan on July 31, 2013, 21:40:13 PM
are they not motion detected camera's or is someone actually sitting there like on Mulholland Highway?
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: greenbarn on July 31, 2013, 22:28:18 PM
Good question for Troll.  I figured they were "manned" cameras.
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: Troll on August 01, 2013, 07:40:21 AM
There were people at all the spots I saw, who were taking pictures, swinging lenses that looked like 60mm mortars...
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 01, 2013, 08:03:55 AM
 ok so that raises another question, wonder what they get paid to take pictures, and how do they know what and whom to take pictures of?
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: Troll on August 01, 2013, 15:04:06 PM
They take pictures of EVERYTHING that goes by....cars, trucks, semis...bikes  bicycles....
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: DC on August 01, 2013, 20:20:18 PM
Quote from: Troll on August 01, 2013, 15:04:06 PM
They take pictures of EVERYTHING that goes by....cars, trucks, semis...bikes  bicycles....

It's a good thing a certain gentleman didn't show up in his snow suit.   :o  (https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torontomazda3.ca%2Fforum%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ffacepalm.gif&hash=d9cae393cbb340830117904594caf06bd85d77bd)
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: CDNRatMan on August 01, 2013, 21:09:41 PM
DC budddddyyyy you have moved up the list and thus causing PC to move down the list...
Title: Re: Camera
Post by: DC on August 02, 2013, 07:10:06 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on August 01, 2013, 21:09:41 PM
DC budddddyyyy you have moved up the list and thus causing PC to move down the list...

They say there's nothing to fear but fear itself.  But I do fear that which cannot be unseen (still in therapy :o ).  (https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torontomazda3.ca%2Fforum%2Fimages%2Fsmilies%2Ffacepalm.gif&hash=d9cae393cbb340830117904594caf06bd85d77bd)