Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: Nanook on June 06, 2013, 12:00:59 PM

Title: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Nanook on June 06, 2013, 12:00:59 PM
I'm planning to replace my saddlebag and would like to know if any of you guys have pictures of a drifter with solo saddlebag like in the picture below or with knucklehead style saddlebag (I worry a little bit about those and the weight the fender can carry?). Please feel free to recommand supplier of the above mention saddlebags....thanks again!
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: chief on June 07, 2013, 10:06:49 AM
Mounting them on the fender isn't the greatest idea since the fender bounces with the tire... and since the fenders aren't metal you can get stress cracking etc. I had a pair of Ospreys on mine for a short time... the old ones mounted to the fender. It worked ok, but I never carried anything much in them.

The second is a frame mounted bag... not possible  in that configuration on a 1500...

I've wanted to put together a saddlebag page, like the seat page, but haven't gotten much response from folks - pics and mounting info.

Please keep us updated on your project!
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: mumbles on June 07, 2013, 11:13:59 AM
Sure would like to see a pic of a Drifter 800 with a bag like the one on the 2nd pic. Looks like it will fit the frame lines well.
But wouldn't it cover the air flow to the R/R?
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 07, 2013, 11:55:02 AM
  I am sure a master DIY like you could come up with son sort of an air scoop to direct the air flow into the R/R.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: mumbles on June 07, 2013, 19:34:16 PM
An air scoop sounds like a good idea or maybe even move the R/R to another location.
Them things are air-cooled so don't want to start having issues later on.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 07, 2013, 19:49:43 PM
    ;) I was looking at a floor register the other day, and then got to thinking how to make one like that in a size to cover the hole and use the lovers to direct the air flow over the R/R. and could powder coat it  black to make it blend in.......a new winter project in the offing......
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Troll on June 07, 2013, 19:53:38 PM
I moved my regulator/rectifier under the radiator. Don't know if that's possible with an 800, but the 1500 is easy to do
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 07, 2013, 20:51:17 PM
not sure, but would it not collect a lot of road grime and dirt there?
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Troll on June 07, 2013, 21:25:52 PM
Doesn't seem to get any nastys on it. I've had it there for over 30,000 miles, now.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: pcarrell on June 09, 2013, 10:35:43 AM
I moved my rectifier under the radiator about 25,000 miles ago with no issues.

Back to the OP's question.......the first pick is of a bike named Olive.  She was built by Cyclearts Engineering, and those saddlebags are for sale ( http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/cae.html ).  Personally, I think they look great, but I wouldn't have them on my bike since I carry stuff in my bags.  The second bag pic may well work for an 800 (as mentioned, address the rectifier issue), but it doesn't look to me as if it will hold much more then a pair of gloves or two, maybe some eye protection and a tire pressure gauge.  Definitely a minimalist approach.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 09, 2013, 13:32:12 PM
  I am going to look for a picture of the 04 800 I was looking at originally, the saddle bags would hold my rain coat in one bag and the pants in another, now for a small guy like Troll or PC they could get both parts into one bag....oh and the brackets had more metal then the bike.....
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Ricardo on June 09, 2013, 13:35:57 PM
Nanook: does it have to be that particular configuration?

If not, and you're handy with metal work, let me know and I'll take a few pictures of the custom racks I have on my 800 (made by the PO...)
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Drift1 on June 09, 2013, 17:43:48 PM
Quote from: pcarrell on June 09, 2013, 10:35:43 AM
I moved my rectifier under the radiator about 25,000 miles ago with no issues.

Back to the OP's question.......the first pick is of a bike named Olive.  She was built by Cyclearts Engineering, and those saddlebags are for sale ( http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/cae.html ).  Personally, I think they look great, but I wouldn't have them on my bike since I carry stuff in my bags.  The second bag pic may well work for an 800 (as mentioned, address the rectifier issue), but it doesn't look to me as if it will hold much more then a pair of gloves or two, maybe some eye protection and a tire pressure gauge.  Definitely a minimalist approach.
PC would you happen to know if CAE is still in operation?I've tried to email them in the past and the email gets kicked right back.In fact I just tried again with no luck.Who knows it could be operator era....LOL.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: chief on June 10, 2013, 09:03:49 AM
Quote from: Drift1 on June 09, 2013, 17:43:48 PM
PC would you happen to know if CAE is still in operation?I've tried to email them in the past and the email gets kicked right back.In fact I just tried again with no luck.Who knows it could be operator era....LOL.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure they are still around. I haven't gotten a response either.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: CDNRatMan on June 10, 2013, 11:20:08 AM
  I have tried them a number of times and gotten no response either.

I did find this and ordered the luggage rack

http://www.ospreylimited.com/accessory.html

going to post a thread in the 800 section of the forum on this....got it today
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: chief on June 10, 2013, 11:33:09 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on June 10, 2013, 11:20:08 AM
  I have tried them a number of times and gotten no response either.

I did find this and ordered the luggage rack

http://www.ospreylimited.com/accessory.html (http://www.ospreylimited.com/accessory.html)

going to post a thread in the 800 section of the forum on this....got it today

Yeah I had Ospreys on my 1500 for a few months ... I have some throw over US Cavalry horse saddlebags I use now if I want bags. I prefer to leave the rear fender visible.
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Drift1 on June 10, 2013, 20:23:53 PM
Chief that's to bad,CAE had some great looking products.Chief can you post a pic of these throw over bags?
PC do you have assess to get in touch with Hillbilly to shed some light on this subject with CAE?
Title: Re: Saddlebag for drifter any pictures?
Post by: Nanook on June 10, 2013, 22:01:19 PM
Would love to see a picture of the cavalry bag as well and how they are attach to the bag. Any wear on the fender??