Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 13:17:09 PM

Title: Ticking noise? video included -Solved
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 13:17:09 PM
My bike has been sitting for a few months and when I started it up today I heard a nasty ticking sound.
I took the cam chain tensioner apart, counting a maximum of 18 valleys. ticking sound still there. it sounds like it's coming from the front cylinder..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSP4ZpTjXM

stock pipes.
any ideas? my bike shop won't open until tuesday and we all hate to wait haha.

thanks
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: Troll on April 14, 2013, 14:02:26 PM
Sounds just like mine every morning...
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 14:14:40 PM
maybe you're right. I should put my helmet on and listen to it again  ;D
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: Troll on April 14, 2013, 14:34:50 PM
The clatter goes away after the engine is warm, and usually takes at least overnight to return. I bought mine out of a barn where it had been sitting with unknown substance in the crank case for 4 years.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 14:52:53 PM
but is your ticking also louder on the right side than on the left side?
how long does it usually take until your ticking disappears?
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: Troll on April 14, 2013, 15:26:22 PM
Depending on the initial temp, it might take quite a while. It's 35 here right now, so I would expect it to clatter for at least 5 mins.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/newbie.htm#expect   Look at #5. I wish the mechanicals were quieter, too. I've been playing with different oils, and right now I have Valvoline 20-50 synthetic motorcycle oil in it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: chief on April 14, 2013, 15:29:10 PM
Could be a lot of things... I suggest you take it for a short ride and see how it sounds... could be lifters, could be noisy solenoids, could be the fuel, could be an exhaust gasket... etc.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 15:34:17 PM
yea..well it's 90 degrees right now and I had it running for 5 minutes earlier with no change.
Battery is dead again, so replacing it will be the first thing to take care of this week...
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 14, 2013, 16:14:02 PM
 :o 90*F wow that is 32.2222222*C, you could cook eggs on the sidewalk at that temp.......man that is hot.....too hot to breath......
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 16:21:07 PM
haha yea I suppose you could. Can't wait for August ...
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 17:01:42 PM
I tried it one more time. Can't hear it anymore. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHIm5CJF8GI

Must be my lucky socks..

I noticed however, that the fuel gauge isn't working anymore. Is that an easy/cheap fix?
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: Troll on April 14, 2013, 17:24:38 PM
Now it sounds like mine. The wonderful world of Japanese precision...they are all the same! To reinforce my point, we had 6 cb 125 Honda training bikes in our fleet, and they all developed holes in the mufflers, at the same places within a month of each other...
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 19:05:37 PM
ouch!
well, I just took it for a ride and everything was fine.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: Troll on April 14, 2013, 19:11:34 PM
She was just mad at you for neglecting her.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 14, 2013, 19:20:05 PM
yep, I should've known better
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: John Hopkins on April 14, 2013, 23:05:24 PM
I hope I misread your post but sitting for four months and you just started it up..without doing an oil change..

If that is right change the oil and filter now..

John.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: 49Reo on April 15, 2013, 10:49:34 AM
My 1500 always had that sound in it on cold starts. I changed over to Kawasaki synthetic oil, now it doesn't do it any more.
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: niccho on April 15, 2013, 10:54:40 AM
Yes, oil/filter change, tire pressure etc has all been done before I even sat on it.

Quote from: 49Reo on April 15, 2013, 10:49:34 AM
My 1500 always had that sound in it on cold starts. I changed over to Kawasaki synthetic oil, now it doesn't do it any more.

Which one are you using?
Title: Re: Ticking noise? video included
Post by: chief on April 15, 2013, 12:44:46 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 14, 2013, 16:14:02 PM
:o 90*F wow that is 32.2222222*C, you could cook eggs on the sidewalk at that temp.......man that is hot.....too hot to breath......

LOL... that's only "warm"... our summers 90+ degrees is rather typical... where he lives, its springtime temps.