Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: mmedur on March 24, 2013, 22:21:05 PM

Title: Seat comfort
Post by: mmedur on March 24, 2013, 22:21:05 PM
Anyone have any suggestion to improve comfort on the stock 2-up seat? I can't afford to go the aftermarket route. I am thinking about getting a seat pad. Any recommendations? I am a fat bastard and that stock seat was killing my tailbone after a couple hours the other day. I have a nice ride to DC planned in May and I would like to be able to walk when I get there.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 24, 2013, 22:24:00 PM
 ;) I have a stock seat, and am 5'11" and a portly but well carried 240lbs. I have ridden about 5 hours with only fuel stops so far and I found a nice sheepskin was the answer for my comfort, or perhaps all those years of bouncing around in military vehicles has killed my buttocks receptors to feeling.....
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: mmedur on March 24, 2013, 22:32:20 PM
Yea the militate vehicles are certainly hell on the backside. They jacked my lower back up so badly thati am constantly stiff. And I have about 5 inches and 40 lbs on you right now.

Before you got the sheepskin had you had any discomfort?
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on March 24, 2013, 22:45:13 PM
Quote from: mmedur on March 24, 2013, 22:32:20 PM
...I have about 5 inches and 40 lbs on you right now.

Before you got the sheepskin had you had any discomfort?

I'm just glad I read the first posts before the last, or I might have gotten the wrong impression here...

MMedur, I also had the stock solo, and found it rather uncomfortable - likewise in the tailbone area.  I ended up going with a Corbin 2-up.  Wanted a 2-up anyway.  I like the corbin.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Petemoss on March 24, 2013, 22:47:59 PM
lqtms
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: mmedur on March 24, 2013, 22:55:44 PM
Quote from: greenbarn on March 24, 2013, 22:45:13 PM
I'm just glad I read the first posts before the last, or I might have gotten the wrong impression here...

MMedur, I also had the stock solo, and found it rather uncomfortable - likewise in the tailbone area.  I ended up going with a Corbin 2-up.  Wanted a 2-up anyway.  I like the corbin.
[/q


I see now how that rearward little strange. I would love to go with the Corbin, but I have already spent too much this year on the bike.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 24, 2013, 23:02:12 PM
 I rode the bike to my sisters about a week after I got it. Had not been on a bike for any long trips in about 8 years. I suffer from really bad arthritis in both legs and lower back, that was one reason to not been riding for so long but then decide to try again, anyway, I figured I could get 160 kms to a tank, and so had my trip planned to be stopping every 150 -160 for fuel and to get off and move around. On the trip down it was the stock two up seat no sheep skin. While visting my sister she mentioned that she used a sheepskin on her seat on the Harley Dresser they use to tour with. Her husband said it made a huge difference, so I said I would try it and went and bought one, made the ride a more comfortable ride to some extent, not as hot or sweaty. Found it made a difference.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on March 24, 2013, 23:10:17 PM
that does look comfy, ratman.  do you have to fasten it on there, with what?  or does it just lay on there?  Where do ou buy something like that, I'm guessing it would be kinda nice.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 24, 2013, 23:14:41 PM
    I did not attach it any way other then the back of it I tucked under the netting holding my pack on. It is a real chunck of sheepskin so it has the hide underside and it sticks to the seat. Bought it from a plac ethat sells sheepskin and sheep products at their farm. One thing is to wash it on a really gentle cycle and let it dry natural, I rolled it up in a huge towel and it worked out ok.......smelled like wet dog for a few days in the laundry room...lol...
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: chief on March 25, 2013, 09:48:11 AM
At one point we bought one of those air/rubber deals for my wife, and my brother-in-law got one for his bike. We tossed ours it really made things worse. It creates hot spots "monkey butt" and you don't have the feeling of being firmly seated... which was troublesome for me... who likes to feel like they are slipping off the bike.

I have seen the sheepskin used. You have to take it off every night. Also if you wouldn't leave your lid unlocked, you won't want to leave this one unlocked either. So, while it works, its a bit of a pain. But it may be less of a pain in the butt, than the pain in the butt!!
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: pcarrell on March 25, 2013, 11:32:39 AM
I didn't care for my F&S 2up so I pulled the cover ans hogged it out and added new, foam rubber, then covered that with gel pads, then added light density foam on top.  reconnecting the cover was the trick.  You'll need and industrial strength staple gun and some silicone sealant (for the dish in the seat).

(Click on pics to enlarge)
(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi83.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj319%2Fpcarrell%2FDrifter%2FDrifter%2520Seat%2Fth_IMG_1075.jpg&hash=2a2c5199951ad47c4633b48033cdc0be79876fd1) (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/pcarrell/media/Drifter/Drifter%20Seat/IMG_1075.jpg.html)

(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi83.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj319%2Fpcarrell%2FDrifter%2FDrifter%2520Seat%2Fth_IMG_1071.jpg&hash=c61658aa245f50618bddcb8e1c8b38530d9d03d1) (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/pcarrell/media/Drifter/Drifter%20Seat/IMG_1071.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 25, 2013, 12:14:44 PM
  Mind if I was going someplace were I was going to leave the bike unlocked or open to the public I would try and hide the sheepskin. Before when I would tour I would leave stuff on the bike find a garage with an attendent and give them a few bucks to watch the bikes and park close to his station.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Troll on March 25, 2013, 12:21:27 PM
PC, your jellybean green seat looks familiar....I was pretty happy with mine until I did a 600+ day on it in 100 deg. weather...by the time I got home, I could feel the seat pan in a not too good place. I did the gel thing, but I did it a little differently. I cut the top center of the foam so that the gel would fit into it. I added about 1/2" of flat washers to the front seat mounting bolt on the bike, and that changed the angle considerably. Now I'm sitting down into the dish of the seat instead of having the weight concentrated on the pubic bone. I have about 4000 miles on this set up, so far, and it's pretty good.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: pcarrell on March 25, 2013, 12:44:45 PM
Quote from: Troll on March 25, 2013, 12:21:27 PM
I cut the top center of the foam so that the gel would fit into it.

Yeah, I hogged out the foam and added a different density foam, then the gel pad, then a thin layer of a lighter foam sheeting across the whole thing (so the cover would be smooth and not show the lines where I had done the work).  When I was done, it was all at the same level I had started at (I did add some foam towards the upper rear of each seating pad just to add a touch more cushion.  It's the very low density foam, so it didn't really reshape the seat.), it just had different foam. 

In the second pic you can see the pillion is done and ready to have the cover put back on.  The front isn't done yet in that pic.  It looked just like the rear before I added the cover.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: David Baker on March 25, 2013, 13:58:19 PM
I purchased a Butt Buffer at Carlisle Bike Week a couple years ago (They cut us a break, We bought two and payed in cash) I generally use it on long rides, It was nice to pick it up at the show as you can try the various models they have to get a proper fit. One thing I've learned on long hauls... Put your wallet in your front pocket or inside vest pocket. lqtm
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on March 25, 2013, 16:48:08 PM
  As someone who has spent almost half my life in the cab of a truck or car I learned that lesson really early, even at a desk job do not sit on your wallet, mine is not thick with money but cards and stupid stuff we collect over time..........
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on March 26, 2013, 06:40:45 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on March 25, 2013, 16:48:08 PM
  As someone who has spent almost half my life in the cab of a truck or car I learned that lesson really early, even at a desk job do not sit on your wallet, mine is not thick with money but cards and stupid stuff we collect over time..........

Reminds me of that Seinfeld epsiode where George has back problems from sitting lopsided, due to his huge wallet in his back pocket.   ;D
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DriftinGirl on April 06, 2013, 18:59:34 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on March 24, 2013, 23:14:41 PM
    I did not attach it any way other then the back of it I tucked under the netting holding my pack on. It is a real chunck of sheepskin so it has the hide underside and it sticks to the seat. Bought it from a plac ethat sells sheepskin and sheep products at their farm. One thing is to wash it on a really gentle cycle and let it dry natural, I rolled it up in a huge towel and it worked out ok.......smelled like wet dog for a few days in the laundry room...lol...

Real sheepskin is a must..not only does the hide side grip but,, back when I was working, nursing studies showed the fake sheepshins actually scalded patients behinds!
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: pcarrell on April 06, 2013, 19:22:38 PM
Yeah, but is it OK to mix Rats and sheep?
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: jmbo on April 06, 2013, 19:31:15 PM
Back rest! Back rest! Back rest! Did I say back rest? Makes all the difference in the world on long trips.  I don't have on the Drifter yet but after taking a long trip on a dresser last summer I'm sold.  It took all the stress out of riding. My back felt great even after hours on the road
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: chief on April 06, 2013, 21:28:14 PM
Quote from: jmbo on April 06, 2013, 19:31:15 PM
Back rest! Back rest! Back rest! Did I say back rest? Makes all the difference in the world on long trips.  I don't have on the Drifter yet but after taking a long trip on a dresser last summer I'm sold.  It took all the stress out of riding. My back felt great even after hours on the road

yeah, I agree. I made one since finding one my color was really difficult. it really helps.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: John Hopkins on April 09, 2013, 14:53:07 PM
I did a seven hour ride on my bike last week and I didn't have any problems, well if you don't count clipping a couple of car mirrors with my grips while filtering at 50mph..

I think my seat is standard, the road was good except for the catseyes and line markings that make it difficult to keep in a straight line..I ended the ride in comfort with only cold fingers to complain about..

Some of the stress of riding may be caused by gripping the handlebars to tightly, It is not likely that any of us could hold the bike up once it starts to go so you might as well relax your grip and enjoy the ride..

John.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Troll on April 09, 2013, 14:56:25 PM
That relax thing is easier said than done. I tell all my students that they are not trying to hold onto a bucking bull for 8 seconds, but they still complain on Sunday morning of sore arm muscles...they all work too hard!
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on April 10, 2013, 06:51:11 AM
A 1500 is a lot of weight to manage.  That's why I pretty much keep a tight grip most of the time.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: chief on April 10, 2013, 09:36:35 AM
Quote from: DC on April 10, 2013, 06:51:11 AM
A 1500 is a lot of weight to manage.  That's why I pretty much keep a tight grip most of the time.

Its only a problem when you are stopped, or slowing to a stop... so just keep riding and avoid traffic!
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on April 10, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: chief on April 10, 2013, 09:36:35 AM
Its only a problem when you are stopped, or slowing to a stop... so just keep riding and avoid traffic!

I think I need a seatbelt or something.  The bike wants to take off out from under me.   ;)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: David Baker on April 10, 2013, 18:59:12 PM
Quote from: DC on April 10, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
I think I need a seatbelt or something.  The bike wants to take off out from under me.   ;)

DC... Velcro your butt to the seat! lol
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: waltervl on April 11, 2013, 02:41:27 AM
Velcro :)
Reminds me of this (sorry, in Dutch) commercial of an insurance company about people who invented a safe passenger attachement system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8SPpjM-Vc
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on April 11, 2013, 06:32:12 AM
Quote from: Bake on April 10, 2013, 18:59:12 PM
DC... Velcro your butt to the seat! lol

That may be an option.   ;D

I'm working on a seat mounting bracket mod that will lower the front of the seat for me about an inch.  That will give some downward angle to the seat, which I'm thinking will tend to cradle my carcass better in the seat.  At the same time, it gets me closer to the ground, having better control at stops.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: John Hopkins on April 11, 2013, 07:31:46 AM
Quote from: DC on April 10, 2013, 06:51:11 AM
A 1500 is a lot of weight to manage.  That's why I pretty much keep a tight grip most of the time.

At my age I can't hold the bike up without the sidestand, but I hold the grips gently and only use them to steer, If I need to I can grip the bars firmly quicker than I can think about it, but if the bike is on the way down, it will go and I will not be strong enough to lift it up again..

My opinion for what it's worth is that gripping tightly causes rider fatigue, I quite often deliberately relax and flex my back muscles while riding..although the 1500 is probably the heaviest bike I have ever ridden it is well balanced and a real pleasure to ride.

John.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 11, 2013, 09:08:17 AM
  found that the bars are a lot different then my old bike. I had the tendancey to grip these bars tight for some odd reason, and could not figure out why. So what I did was to place my hands on the bars and my fingers on the levers, thumbs under the grips. This gives a really nice relaxed grip and total control ....
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on April 11, 2013, 17:30:43 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 11, 2013, 09:08:17 AM
  ... So what I did was to place my hands on the bars and my fingers on the levers, thumbs under the grips. This gives a really nice relaxed grip and total control ....

I got yelled at about 6 times a day for doing that when I was taking the bike safety course!!  I often use 2 fingers on the levers, 2 on the grip.  Old habit from riding on dirt track, I guess.  The instructor didn't like it.  at all... ::)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Troll on April 11, 2013, 17:44:35 PM
Remember, this was a BEGINNER class. We want the controls covered with all the fingers, or none, and the grips held firmly. The big problem is when the beginner death grips the controls, and grabs the levers. Teaching finesse is one of the hardest parts. When I'm doing a demo, I have to remember to take a couple of power walking steps as I start, instead of just picking up my feet and going...
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 11, 2013, 17:58:41 PM
 ::) Yes I too used to have to really think while teaching not to cover the levers with my fingers during the street bike courses, then teaching the dispatch riders course for the military it was allowed......

GreenBarn if I ahd been the instructor I would have been whacking your fingers with a stick.....only should have had to tell you once.....
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Drift1 on April 11, 2013, 18:12:23 PM
Just received a picture of my seat completed from Singh,man I can't wait to install this.
(https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1277.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy484%2Fkingkongvs%2F11894_450319175042411_464670958_n_zpsea6cae33.jpg&hash=a0e79d30580da534819acd0a3b51d21e7177678c)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on April 11, 2013, 18:33:22 PM
That is sharp, man.   But the mount looks a little unstable, don't you think? 8)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Drift1 on April 11, 2013, 18:37:20 PM
Well Greenbarn that's the whole reason I posted this,good catch.I figured being the mod expert here,with all the tools and knowledge you would be able to help me out ;)...lol that was funny though.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: David Baker on April 11, 2013, 19:48:00 PM
GreenBarn if I had been the instructor I would have been whacking your fingers with a stick.....only should have had to tell you once.....
[/quote]

RatMan... I didn't know you were a Nun... lol
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on April 11, 2013, 20:35:44 PM
Quote from: Drift1 on April 11, 2013, 18:37:20 PM
Well Greenbarn that's the whole reason I posted this,good catch.I figured being the mod expert here,with all the tools and knowledge you would be able to help me out ;)...lol that was funny though.

weld it
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on April 11, 2013, 20:42:58 PM
Better yet, skip the nice leather saddle.  Mount one of these. It would allow you to ride longer with no stops. :D
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 11, 2013, 22:26:04 PM
 Bake ...old man.....lol you are of my vintage then you will know...I went from kindergarten to grade 9 with Penquins as teachers. Lord they were a tough bunch, and I remember the strap on more then one occassion, putting a hair on your plam to cause it to bleed does not work, and when the teachers punished you for ..and really stupid stunts you pulled does not seem to have caused much harm now did it......At least unlike Troll, PC and Chief we did not have to use cave drawings to learn from......we had our slate and boards to use.....lol......
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on April 12, 2013, 06:29:00 AM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 11, 2013, 22:26:04 PM
Bake ...old man.....lol you are of my vintage then you will know...I went from kindergarten to grade 9 with Penquins as teachers. Lord they were a tough bunch, and I remember the strap on more then one occassion, putting a hair on your plam to cause it to bleed does not work, and when the teachers punished you for ..and really stupid stunts you pulled does not seem to have caused much harm now did it......At least unlike Troll, PC and Chief we did not have to use cave drawings to learn from......we had our slate and boards to use.....lol......

HA!  Penguins!  I haven't heard that term in years.  I wonder what the kids call them now.

Anyway, I also was getting told about fingers on the controls during the course.  Those habits are hard to break.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: greenbarn on April 12, 2013, 07:40:41 AM
So I want to know what's so bad about a finger or two on the controls?  It seems to me, you have quicker reaction and more control that way.... 
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: chief on April 12, 2013, 07:44:36 AM
After this many years my fingers are where they are going to be... its served me well.

As a certified safety professional of a#$@#$ years... I know most safety dogma is common sense and intended to be guidelines... wait a few years and it will change. As a NSC driver safety trainer we tell folks to cover the brake in traffic situations, coming to red lights etc... no difference in my mind to covering the brake on the bike IMHO.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Troll on April 12, 2013, 08:00:30 AM
  In the beginning class, we want them to have all fingers on the levers so they remember to do it when faced with an emergency. Having one or two applying the brake means that they cannot generate enough brake force for a really quick, controlled stop at their level of skill. In the ARC, we not only ignore the number of fingers the student is using, but we teach trail braking in corners.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: John Hopkins on April 12, 2013, 11:16:36 AM
My fingers find their own way to the brake and clutch levers as I see the brake lights of the vehicle in front, I try to keep about four seconds between me and the vehicle in front unless I am riding in poor weather and then I try for six seconds, When riding slow in poor conditions or over loose gravel both hands are on the levers..for good roads and slight traffic I don't have my hands on the levers..

It's not something I work at, it just happens that way..

John.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: Troll on April 12, 2013, 11:28:59 AM
  Beginning students don't have the benefit of experience...but we experienced riders have the handicap of old age...not fair, really!
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DC on April 12, 2013, 11:59:48 AM
Try riding with a 12 second gap.  You either have everyone passing you and filling in front of you, or you will have everyone p!ssed behind you.
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DriftinGirl on April 12, 2013, 18:05:08 PM
Quote from: Troll on April 12, 2013, 11:28:59 AM
  Beginning students don't have the benefit of experience...but we experienced riders have the handicap of old age...not fair, really!

Then there is the double handicap...old and a beginner... 8)
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: CDNRatMan on April 12, 2013, 18:59:04 PM
QuoteThen there is the double handicap...old and a beginner...

but that is negated by Good looking and charming..........
Title: Re: Seat comfort
Post by: DriftinGirl on April 12, 2013, 19:10:08 PM
Quote from: CDNRatMan on April 12, 2013, 18:59:04 PM
but that is negated by Good looking and charming..........

::)