Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: Bernie on September 08, 2010, 10:20:34 AM

Title: Saddlebag supports
Post by: Bernie on September 08, 2010, 10:20:34 AM
I have a 1500 drifter, I have a corbin 2up seat and stock 2up, my passengers do not like either.  I have a corbin solo seat on now, and I used the rear bar that you remove for the solo and attached to the stock saddlebag supports and mad a rear seat for a rider.   Are the saddle bag supports the same as regular fender struts used when a rear seat pad is mouned on the fender(like a stock Vulcan,harley, etc.)?.  Can the supports since they are bolted to the frame under the driver seat(like normal fender struts) support the weight of a passenger.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Title: Re: Saddlebag supports
Post by: chief on September 08, 2010, 10:33:55 AM
I'm not real clear on what you've done, but the bag supports are attached to the frame under the seat... not to the fender in any way. The struts are not intended for mounting a seat - I'm not sure the standard version has enough strength to hold much...
Title: Re: Saddlebag supports
Post by: Bernie on September 08, 2010, 11:07:20 AM
I used the U shaped stock 2up seat bar after i removed it to put on the solo seat, and then mounted ot to the stock black  saddlebag supports and then attached a Harley rear sear to it....the sadlebag supports are supporting the passenger seat.  I believe the set up is no different than any other rear seat set up, I am usuing the saddlebag supports as other bikes use fender stuts since the drifter is strutless(although the drifter saddlebag supports mount like other bike fender struts, attached to the frame)  my concern is the strength of the supports, weight wise.

Title: Re: Saddlebag supports
Post by: BOWDOWN on September 08, 2010, 12:48:40 PM
If I understand correctly, the answer is 'Yes'. The stock seat uses that frame to support the passenger in the same way your are using it. The stock seat offers very little if any additional structural support.
Title: Re: Saddlebag supports
Post by: aclone on September 08, 2010, 19:20:59 PM
Did the same thing with a mustang seat and passenger back rest . had no problems with the set up.
Mark