Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: Dr J. Rankin McGougan on August 26, 2012, 19:09:26 PM

Title: engine stalling
Post by: Dr J. Rankin McGougan on August 26, 2012, 19:09:26 PM
I am a relatively new rider (about a year and ½). I ride a 2002 1500 Drifter. It is my primary mode of transportation and have put about 16,000 mile on over the last 18 months. The bike now has a total of about 18,000. It has run like dream so far other significant pinging if I lean on the gas. But recently it has begun stalling out momentarily. It started about a week ago at higher speeds (65-70) but is now happening at various speeds in all gears. It re-starts on its own after about 10-15 seconds. It did happen recently in a tight u-turn and I almost laid the bike down. I have checked the terminals on the battery and have followed the wiring as much as possible and can't find any loose connections or evidence of shorts. The bike is serviced regularly at a local custom shop. I run high-test with an additive to deal with the ethanol issue. The shop is primarily a Harley custom shop and the guys are great but they suggested that if I did some research before I brought it in it would save them some time and save me some money. So if anyone out there has had a similar problem I would sure appreciate any help or ideas of where to look.

Thanks Guys

Dr. J.
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: vagabondjay on August 26, 2012, 22:41:55 PM
hey dr j I had that problem on my vtx and it was the wire from the starter button going to the solenoid..not sure what your issue could be but check it out
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: chief on August 27, 2012, 11:53:00 AM
There is a vehicle down sensor in the battery compartment. There was a recall because if not positioned correctly it could sense a "down" condition in curves etc.


http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/601/cat/50 (http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/601/cat/50)


Check all the switch terminals, especially the clutch and kickstand...
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: vagabondjay on August 27, 2012, 13:36:56 PM
thats a good point I was reading about that sensor last night.
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: Dr J. Rankin McGougan on August 27, 2012, 15:24:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'll start checking those things. I'll let you know what I find.

Dr J
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: Dr J. Rankin McGougan on August 31, 2012, 15:50:25 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions but nothing seemed to work. Had it in the shop yesterday for service. Naturally the bike ran perfect. There are no Kawasaki dealers here in Fort Myers so they suggested a dealer out of town that may be able to do diagnostics on the bike. Someone else told me that they didn't think Kawasaki's diagnostic equipment is compatible with a bike as old as this (2002). Does anyone have information of Kawasaki diagnostic equipment and whether or not it can be used on a 2002 1500 Drifter?  That information would be helpful before I make the trip.

Dr. J.
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: Troll on August 31, 2012, 16:49:55 PM
I have just one question for you...it might seem irrelevant, but...does the clock reset itself? If it does, then you are losing primary power. There have been some issues with the ign. switch, too
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: chief on August 31, 2012, 18:30:38 PM
The drifter was an advanced bike in 2002, I will wager their equipment will work on it... but call them first.
Title: Re: engine stalling
Post by: TripWire on August 31, 2012, 21:43:12 PM
Probably not related to your issue but I will throw it out there.  Had an issue with my bike stalling when I had the kick stand out (while in neutral).  The neutral sensor connection had some corrosion on it and I just need to clean the connector.

or

Could the kickstand sensor have a loose connection and be telling the bike the kickstand is down?